What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Beta is now available for download, for all supported models.

This version contains a lot of changes, with the biggest ones being the upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4, Busybox 1.25.1, and GPL 380_4180 merge.

Beta 2 (Jan 22nd)
Uploading Beta 2 builds. Nothing major changed, but I'd prefer to have these retested again before a final release.

Changes since Beta 1:

Code:
a684eb1 Updated documentation
beb6678 Bumped revision to beta 2
330a0ad webui: integrated Tor page client display with Networkmap's clientlist
1e85623 webui: Ensure we always display a progress counter when applying on the OpenVPN client page.
b05794f curl,nano: Update gitignore
df7f647 webui: adjust wait timing when submitting OpenVPN client page
e511da4 cstats/rstats: update unset clock detection, by replacing the old Y2K value with Jan-1-2017; cast constant as unsigned long.
8a8b06e cstats: make rollover calculations properly deal with 64-bit values, and apply Asus's calculation tweak from rstats
5a03ad4 openvpn: store original IFS before changing it
1659357 vpnrouting: fix IFS not being stored before changing (broken since commit daa0df6acc814ac0cf33709cb2618e578d75fe8f)
fbd6f9f rc: format the reported firmware version that gets logged if new FW is available

Beta 3 (Jan 27th):
Some security updates came out this week, so I decided to delay the final release to have another round of test with these updates in place.

Changes since Beta 2:

Code:
   - CHANGED: Updated openssl to 1.0.2k
   - CHANGED: Updated tor to 0.2.9.9
   - FIXED: Webui layout was broken under Chrome 56
   - FIXED: miniupnpd errors at boot time about missing chains.
            Also streamlined miniupnpd stop/start events during
            boot, there are fewer of them now.

Beta 4 (Feb 1st):
GPL 4180 has been reverted to resolve numerous LAN applications that are broken in this GPL release. The httpd/www changes, miniupnpd fixes and minidlna/libdisk code from GPL 4180 has been kept, so these components can remain in-sync.

---

Highlights:
  • (***REVERTED since beta 4***) Merged with GPL 380_4180. Note that the webui pages that were broken in 4180 (Network Tools, WOL, etc...) have been fixed.
  • Upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4.0, and implemented support for many of its new features, including: GCM ciphers, NCP, LZ4 compression, tls-crypt. Existing 2.3 clients can still connect, provided you don't enable any of the new 2.4 features. Please see the Asuswrt-Merlin changelog, as well as the OpenVPN 2.4 manual page for more info on these new features. Also, obsolete RC ciphers were removed from the server webui.
  • Upgrade to Busybox 1.25.1 ported to Asuswrt by TheMIROn. For most users this change is transparent, main benefit of this upgrade is making it easier to keep up-to-date with future security updates for Busybox (and probably a series of fixes between 1.20 and 1.25). A couple of new applets were also enabled, to assist script authors.
  • A new "update-notification" script has been added, which gets run whenever the scheduled new firmware check finds a new version. That script can be used to send you an Email, an SMS, flash your router LEDs, etc... Also, generate a system log entry when a new firmware is available.
  • Other updated components: Tor (0.2.9.8), nano (2.7.4).
  • Host file will give priority to the hostname you configure for your router, over the hardcoded router.asus.com (will show up when doing a traceroute or any other router IP resolution).
  • Fixed IPv6 request for some models (like the RT-AC88U) that were using a blank MAC when generating their DUID
  • Numerous fixes to the Network Service Firewall that failed to work under various scenarios
  • Additional fixes to OpenVPN (ovpn export, failure to clean up routes on restart)
  • RT-N66U, RT-AC66U and RT-AC5300 would reboot up to three times if one of their wifi interface was disabled
  • And quite a few more - make sure to read the complete Changelog

Things that need particular testing:
  • OpenVPN, both existing configurations and the new features. Make sure you understand how these work first - NCP for instance isn't always intuitive in its behaviour.
  • Existing scripts - make sure they still work fine with the Busybox upgrade
  • The RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U and RT-AC3200 have to reuse some older closed source components due to incomplete/missing GPL release from Asus. Look for any unusual behaviour, especially regarding wifi.

Make sure you read the Changelog for more details.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Reserved.

380.65 adds a new update-notification user script. Here is an example script that will email you when a new firmware is available. This script is designed for GMail, shouldn't be too hard to adapt to your own ISP's SMTP.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"
PASSWORD="gmail-password"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
FROM_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"
TO_NAME="Your Name"
TO_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version
TMPVERS=$(nvram get webs_state_info)
VERS=${TMPVERS:5:3}.${TMPVERS:8:10}
ROUTER_IP=$(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

echo "From: \"$FROM_NAME\" <$FROM_ADDRESS>" > /tmp/mail.txt
echo "To: \"$TO_NAME\" <$TO_ADDRESS>" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "Subject: New router firmware notification" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "New firmware version $VERS is now available for your router at $ROUTER_IP." >> /tmp/mail.txt

curl --url smtps://$SMTP:$PORT \
  --mail-from "$FROM_ADDRESS" --mail-rcpt "$TO_ADDRESS" \
  --upload-file /tmp/mail.txt \
  --ssl-reqd \
  --user "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" --insecure

rm /tmp/mail.txt

Might be a good idea to define an application password to use here, since your GMail password would end up stored in the clear in that script.

Installed it on AC88u and checked everything I'm using and all seems stable.

just saw that;

Jan 15 11:32:46 dnsmasq[1256]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Jan 15 11:32:46 dnsmasq[1256]: /tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/blacklist.txt dns.msftncsi.com is 0.0.0.0

router is asking this domain frequently. I've searched dnsmasq logs which are saved by ab-solution and couldn't see this domain on older logs. Seems like router asking this domain with 380-65 beta. I've added this to blacklist because of windows 10 privacy concerns. Is it something important for router? if it is; I can remove it from blacklist.

Thanks.

Edit: I've googled it and as far as I understand its some kind of a connection control so I've deleted it from blacklist and router still asking this in about every five seconds

Last edited:
380.65 adds a new update-notification user script. Here is an example script that will email you when a new firmware is available. This script is designed for GMail, shouldn't be too hard to adapt to your own ISP's SMTP.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
TO_NAME="Your Name"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version

echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "New firmware version $VERS is now available for your router at $ROUTER_IP." >> /tmp/mail.txt

--ssl-reqd \

rm /tmp/mail.txt

Might be a good idea to define an application password to use here, since your GMail password would end up stored in the clear in that script.
For AB-Solution users: This will be a built in option for the upcoming AB3.1 release.
It will use your email config settings in AB to send the email notification and generate the necessary files for you.

Edit: No use to implement it as, apparently, Asus works on a WebUI version for the notification email.

Last edited:
Installed it on AC88u and checked everything I'm using and all seems stable.

just saw that;

Jan 15 11:32:46 dnsmasq[1256]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Jan 15 11:32:46 dnsmasq[1256]: /tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/blacklist.txt dns.msftncsi.com is 0.0.0.0

router is asking this domain frequently. I've searched dnsmasq logs which are saved by ab-solution and couldn't see this domain on older logs. Seems like router asking this domain with 380-65 beta. I've added this to blacklist because of windows 10 privacy concerns. Is it something important for router? if it is; I can remove it from blacklist.

Thanks.

Edit: I've googled it and as far as I understand its some kind of a connection control so I've deleted it from blacklist and router still asking this in about every five seconds
Beware: Your Windows PC's will show the 'no internet' notification icon if you blacklist both the msftncsi.com and dns.msftncsi.com subdomain.

Dear Merlin, Great work again. Thanks. Working good here so far on both AC66 and AC87. AC66 is in bridge mode.
I think that WPS should be off as default. It turns itself on again after power cycle or upgrade of firmware.

Have a nice day! :)

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
TO_NAME="Your Name"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version

echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt

--ssl-reqd \

rm /tmp/mail.txt

I can't find the script?

Dear Merlin, Great work again. Thanks. Working good here so far on both AC66 and AC87. AC66 is in bridge mode.
I think that WPS should be off as default. It turns itself on again after power cycle or upgrade of firmware.

Have a nice day! :)
WPS stays off for me.

WPS goes on on 5 gHz for some reason. I've done the factory default reset, but still goes back on.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
TO_NAME="Your Name"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version

echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt

--ssl-reqd \

rm /tmp/mail.txt

Is any chance to add option/feature to configure notification by email in GUI ? This will be better solution and faster.

WPS goes on on 5 gHz for some reason. I've done the factory default reset, but still goes back on.
I have noted it do this when using the backup/restore script posted on the forums but I have not had it happen with straight updates for a long time.

Is any chance to add option/feature to configure notification by email in GUI ? This will be better solution and faster.
AB-Solution 3.1 will have it as an option.

Edit: Asus apparently works on it, sorry.

Last edited:
I can't find the script?
You have to create /jffs/scripts/update-notification yourself, set the permissions and fill in your edited details.

After I refresh the default SSID changed, before the ASUS_10_2G, now became the ASUS_00_2G. do not know what the situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!