What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty flash on RT-AX58U successful. No changes in performance noted.

To answer one of Merlin's questions:
I ran a Lan Speed test from my notebook (wireless). First results:

------------------------- -------------------------
Mbps (Avg) 102.27 (Write) 235.37 (Read)
Mbps (Max) 107.68 (Write) 260.21 (Read)

The latter being below the maximum speed of my wireless connection.

Wired:
Mbps (Avg) 239.66 (Write) 312.99 (Read)
Mbps (Max) 273.29 (Write) 435.37 (Read)

HTH:)

Last edited:
So far it works nice here. My setup still needs manual channel selection on the 5Ghz to get max speed
Smart-Connect, hidden ssid, wpa3, tried several combinations of 20-160Mhz, AX mode on, OFDMA and multi user MIMO on, disabled universal beamforming.
Personally I think Smart-Connect is the triggering feature.

Looks like 384.16_beta1 has the Traffic Analyzer bug again where it thinks it has transmitted/received 17,179,869,180.10 GB or something. RT-AC68U. Daily: https://i.imgur.com/A4DRl5A.png 24-hour: https://i.imgur.com/laREjN1.png

Now, it's only the WAN tab on the 24-hour that shows these huge values. The Wired and Wireless tabs show normal values. For the month, it shows:

2020-03 - 17,179,869,183.26 GB - 17,179,869,180.07 GB - 34,359,738,363.33 GB

Hardware acceleration is not enabled, handled by CPU.

If memory serves this part of the code is closed source?

Last edited:
Since RT-AC87U is on its way out apparently, what would be a worthy successor? Looking at RT-AX58U, it looks about the same, but has AX standard support and a triple core CPU. Was also looking at RT-AX92U, but it's not supported by Merlin (yet or if ever). I'd really like the RT-AX92U coz of its looks and quad core CPU. RT-AX88U costs quite a bit more and has those stupid antennas on the sides that really annoy me. But has a powerful quadcore and all the other goodness...

Also, what's the difference between RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000. They look the exact same thing yet they are listed separately. Hm.

I think the best bet would be RT-AX58U. It's affordable, has triple core CPU, supports all the new standards and will also be supported by Merlin. Any prediction on that front?

Thanks Merlin & team for another build. I just dirty flashed 384.16 beta1 on my RT-AX88U after 5 days running alpha2 with perfect stability for my network.
Working fine for the moment. I will post some more feedback in some days from now.

Since RT-AC87U is on its way out apparently, what would be a worthy successor? Looking at RT-AX58U, it looks about the same, but has AX standard support and a triple core CPU. Was also looking at RT-AX92U, but it's not supported by Merlin (yet or if ever). I'd really like the RT-AX92U coz of its looks and quad core CPU. RT-AX88U costs quite a bit more and has those stupid antennas on the sides that really annoy me. But has a powerful quadcore and all the other goodness...

Also, what's the difference between RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000. They look the exact same thing yet they are listed separately. Hm.

I think the best bet would be RT-AX58U. It's affordable, has triple core CPU, supports all the new standards and will also be supported by Merlin. Any prediction on that front?

The only difference I see when I compare the two (https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=2stih2y7a4vufmyb,b2nmtj8czggu4mud&b=0) is the dimensions of the housing.

Anyway: as I've said before the AX58U is a great system at a good pricing point (although it is getting more expensive over here (thanks to the 'Covid-19 panic'?)). The AX88U is really top-of-the-line but probably only interesting for those who want bleeding-edge performance (especially for their VPN's) or 'simply the best'.

As for predictions: Beta1 is out for the AX58U but further than that they are 'off'. Only Merlin can answer that one, but I don't think he has a 'glass ball' either! But the current version is so good that I'd be extremely surprised if he won't continue to support this system for a (long) while.

Last edited:
Smooth update to 384.13_5 on 87u
Thanks RMerlin

RT-AX3000 is for retail store sales and RT-AX58U is for online sales. But both are sold online anyway, same with all the other ASUS routers. RT-AC88U is the sames as RT-AC3100 etc. The 3 core SoC in this unit is much more powerful than the SoC in the RT-AC87U.

Quote from Merlin: "Please keep discussions in this thread for these specific beta releases and the changes introduced by them. Off-topic posts may be moved, deleted or ignored based on my humor at the time."

Sorry for being off topic.

Not sure if it's only a case of unfortunate words, or... But it's NOT a 'Covid-19 panic' anymore, it's a Pandemic.

Thousands of humans have already died from this the last couple of weeks, and who knows how many more will in the future. This tragedy is just getting started. Covid-19 will make it's way into modern history for sure as one of modern times greatest disasters.
Quote from Merlin: "Please keep discussions in this thread for these specific beta releases and the changes introduced by them. Off-topic posts may be moved, deleted or ignored based on my humor at the time."

The only difference I see when I compare the two (https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=2stih2y7a4vufmyb,b2nmtj8czggu4mud&b=0) is the dimensions of the housing.
It also appears the AX58U is, at least right now, exclusive to BestBuy.

Speaking of AX58U, Beta 1 running on AX88U (router) and AX58U (AiMesh node) very well.
Also running Connmon, spdMerlin and, as of yesterday, DNSSEC and DoT.
Other than the _blog_emit spamming in syslog by the AX58u, all logs show good.

Speaking of AX58U, Beta 1 running on AX88U (router) and AX58U (AiMesh node) very well.
Also running Connmon, spdMerlin and, as of yesterday, DNSSEC and DoT.
Other than the _blog_emit spamming in syslog by the AX58u, all logs show good.

I have exactly the same constellation AX88U as router and AX58 as AiMesh node. And also with me the beta runs great.

Have you enabled IPv6? Do you use Cloudflare DOT? Have you enabled DNSSEC on the WAN settings page?

:)

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V384.16_alpha2 to V384.16_beta1 via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100.

Upgraded main unit and so far not noticing any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!