What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus just released a firmware for AC86U wich fixes the kr00k vulnerability.
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Is this fix already present on Merlin fw?

Also will WPA3 be supported? Or does it need hardware (which i don't think so)?
Like Ragu, it's in there. Under wireless settings, select Authentication Method of WPA2/WPA3-Personal on the router. Your devices will also need to support WPA3 for this to work. In our house, we only have 2 devices that support WPA3, both are PCs. In Windows 10, you will need drivers (and an adapter) that support WPA3. I have Intel AX200 based adapters, and if you go to All Settings -> WIFI -> Manage Known Networks then right mouse click on your WIFI connection and select PROPERTIES you can see if WPA3 is being used.

This is what Windows 10 shows (XXs inserted for some of the info):

SSID: XXXXXXXXX
Protocol: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type: WPA3-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 149
IPv6 address: XXXXXXXXX
Link-local IPv6 address: XXXXXXXXX
IPv6 DNS servers: XXXXXXXXX
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.148
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.1.1
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Driver version: 21.70.0.6
Physical address (MAC): XXXXXXXXX

You can see I am connecting to the router using a WIFI 6 (AX) connection and using WPA3.

I know this is the 384.16 beta forum, but since I couldn't find a more appropriate forum for discussing the 384.15 firmware, I'm posting here. If someone knows a more appropriate forum, kindly let me know.

@RMerlin

I encountered an issue with the latest 384.15 firmware:
  • My primary router is RT-AX88U connected to the Internet. This runs your 384.15 firmware. I have a secondary router RT-AC88U. And that also runs your 384.15 firmware. Now, when I add this AC88U as an AIMESH node, it gets added. However, what I observed is that the 5GHz light on the AX88U goes off. And none of my clients are able to connect on the 5GHz band.
  • In the rare event that after the AC88U joins the AIMESH and the 5GHz does not go off, then rebooting either of the 2 routers would knock off the 5GHz band.
  • The only solution for me at the moment, is to remove AC88U out of the AIMESH. But that would mean that my further off rooms have some areas where coverage is not there.
  • I'm not sure what exactly is the issue here.
And I'm pretty sure, this was working earlier just fine....rebooting either node would never lead to loss of 5GHz radio coverage like this.

Can you please help resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Like Ragu, it's in there. Under wireless settings, select Authentication Method of WPA2/WPA3-Personal on the router. Your devices will also need to support WPA3 for this to work. In our house, we only have 2 devices that support WPA3, both are PCs. In Windows 10, you will need drivers (and an adapter) that support WPA3. I have Intel AX200 based adapters, and if you go to All Settings -> WIFI -> Manage Known Networks then right mouse click on your WIFI connection and select PROPERTIES you can see if WPA3 is being used.

This is what Windows 10 shows (XXs inserted for some of the info):

SSID: XXXXXXXXX
Protocol: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type: WPA3-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 149
IPv6 address: XXXXXXXXX
Link-local IPv6 address: XXXXXXXXX
IPv6 DNS servers: XXXXXXXXX
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.148
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.1.1
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Driver version: 21.70.0.6
Physical address (MAC): XXXXXXXXX

You can see I am connecting to the router using a WIFI 6 (AX) connection and using WPA3.

I asked because WPA3 isn't available on my router...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200319-045639218.png
    Screenshot_20200319-045639218.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 287
I asked because WPA3 isn't available on my router...
From what I see neither Asus support it on this model or Merlin has not merged/imported it either. Don't really think you can add it unless being supported officially first (need certification I guess?)

Are there even devices that can use WPA3 ? There are some AX routers and some AX M.2 cards for laptops that support WPA3, but I haven't actually seen any in the wild like smartphones. They all seem to max out at AC standard and WPA2.

Is WPA standard a thing of hardware or software? Always wondered that but never really found an answer. My guess is that router's chip needs to be able to understand WPA3 on a hardware level to perform efficiently, right? Or can it be done with software alone too, but would be much slower and put more load on CPU as a result?

Are there even devices that can use WPA3 ? There are some AX routers and some AX M.2 cards for laptops that support WPA3, but I haven't actually seen any in the wild like smartphones. They all seem to max out at AC standard and WPA2.

Any laptop that uses Intels AX200/AX201 wifi cards, any iOS device running iOS13, any android device running Android Q. There's plenty of devices.

Is WPA standard a thing of hardware or software? Always wondered that but never really found an answer. My guess is that router's chip needs to be able to understand WPA3 on a hardware level to perform efficiently, right? Or can it be done with software alone too, but would be much slower and put more load on CPU as a result?
Some old Sony laptop I have got WPA3 supported when I changed to Manjaro.
Linux Mint didn't.
My phone, Oneplus 7 Pro, got it just like already mentioned when I got Android 10.
Got a Lenovo Miix 3 laying around with windows 10. Only computer that does not have it.
Then the rest is stuff like the vacuum that is only 2.4g and wpa2

Hi,
Just to add to the list above, my MacBookPro 15" Retina (Mid 2014) with macOS Catalina (10.15.3) also supports WPA3 when it is connected to RT-AX88U :)

Asus RT-AX56U 384.16_beta1
No USB free/total space.
Step by step testing, Diversion installed fine. No option for 32/64bit like 86U. Is it 32 or 64b code ?

Attachments

• 56u.gif
    56u.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 194
unknown.png

unknown.png

Down / Upload Monitor works beautifully
When I first used it, I was confused until I got used to the green color of the download monitor. Because the download is usually blue color.
Thank you, Merlin.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Down / Upload Monitor works beautifully
When I first used it, I was confused until I got used to the green color of the download monitor. Because the download is usually blue color.
Thank you, Merlin.
Well @RMerlin I suggest to choose between Mbs and Mbps...

Any laptop that uses Intels AX200/AX201 wifi cards, any iOS device running iOS13, any android device running Android Q. There's plenty of devices.

So it's entirely software based solution, but routers usually don't gain it because they have poor long term support and no one bothers updating them so they just sell new models with support instead. Got it.

Just checked my iPhone and WPA3 is indeed there. Not sure what's the difference between WPA2/WPA3 and WPA3 alone. Seems like there is some sort of WPA2 mix too. Hm. But there is no separate WPA2 on the other hand (iOS 13).

And I can confirm Zenfone 6 have WPA3 support also.
I think it's not from the brand, but instead from Android 10

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200319-124917665.png
    Screenshot_20200319-124917665.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 160
I think that every time we use irony, a bell rings and an ASUS RT-N12 goes to router heaven.

What do I have to do to get the n66 I replaced with an ac86 it’s angel wings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And is the measurement in bits or Bytes?

<sigh> Do people still not understand the difference between Mb and MB? Yet they’re debating WPA2 vs 3? Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!