What's new

[beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 beta is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to ask, but has this done anything for the "phantom internet" issue I've noticed on 384.16?
Where the WAN LED is red, and the GUI indicates the Internet is disconnected, but internet is still accessible?
upload_2020-4-23_9-30-15.png

Hey guys, can anyone help me out with this issue.

i'm using OpenDNS via my laptop network adapter settings, how can i connect to my Router via WiFi?

the usual ip addresses like 192 dont work, and router.asus.com doesn't work as well.
the only way is to "turn off" OpenDNS and then login to the router.
You need to start your own thread as your issue has nothing to do with this firmware test.

Upgraded to Beta 1 this morning, but have some issues.

- When using AMTM and choosing "u" to check for an upgrade it gets stuck and nothing happens.

After a long timeout it shows " ! Skynet: raw.githubusercontent.com unreachable" but I can ping that host from the router:
PING raw.githubusercontent.com (151.101.112.133): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 151.101.112.133: seq=0 ttl=57 time=15.466 ms

- When starting SkyNet and choosing 10 -> 1 (check for update) or 3 -> 1 (check Malware blacklist update) nothing happens. Shows "404 Error Detected - Stopping Banmalware" after about 10 seconds.

Everything above worked before Beta 1. I have WAN DNS in place and nothing shows as blocked in SkyNet (Debug menu 12 -> 1 -> 1) or System Log in GUI. Tried rebooting but still the same. Also tried stopping the NextDNS CLI service and using 1.1.1.1 as WAN DNS, but no change.

All clients are working fine, so seems to be only from the router/ssh.

Just me?!

Upgraded to Beta 1 this morning, but have some issues.

- When using AMTM and choosing "u" to check for an upgrade it gets stuck and nothing happens.

After a long timeout it shows " ! Skynet: raw.githubusercontent.com unreachable" but I can ping that host from the router:
PING raw.githubusercontent.com (151.101.112.133): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 151.101.112.133: seq=0 ttl=57 time=15.466 ms

- When starting SkyNet and choosing 10 -> 1 (check for update) or 3 -> 1 (check Malware blacklist update) nothing happens. Shows "404 Error Detected - Stopping Banmalware" after about 10 seconds.

Everything above worked before Beta 1. I have WAN DNS in place and nothing shows as blocked in SkyNet (Debug menu 12 -> 1 -> 1) or System Log in GUI. Tried rebooting but still the same. Also tried stopping the NextDNS CLI service and using 1.1.1.1 as WAN DNS, but no change.

All clients are working fine, so seems to be only from the router/ssh.

Just me?!

Github currently having issues again....

upload_2020-4-23_14-20-3.png

EDIT: 2mins after I posted, GitHub is now back :rolleyes:

Github currently having issues again....

View attachment 22989

EDIT: 2mins after I posted, GitHub is now back :rolleyes:

I'm not glad it's down, but I am glad it's not just me.
However, the link to the beta's isn't working for me either. Most everything else is.
edit: Must be my vpn, switched servers and I got in fine.

Last edited:
I hate to ask, but has this done anything for the "phantom internet" issue I've noticed on 384.16?
Where the WAN LED is red, and the GUI indicates the Internet is disconnected, but internet is still accessible?
View attachment 22988
i also experience this occasionally (maybe unrelated, but since .15). I suspect my ISP may be at fault (ping times go sky high when this happens)

Hello mate.
Whats the procedure if i do a clean flash?
I mean re amtm

I'm assuming a clean install of amtm + scripts?

First, back up whatever you feel is important on the USB drive and the JFFS partition. (This is mostly for your peace of mind, I would recreate everything 'fresh' anyway).

Now, safely remove the USB drive and insert it into a PC. Format it (after doing your backup, above) as NTFS.

On the router, check the box that will 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot'. Make sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page. Now, reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting at least 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.

Insert the USB drive into the router (I suggest using a USB 2.0 port or using the USB 3.0 port set to USB 2.0 mode so that there is minimal interference from the USB on the 2.4GHz band).

Startup amtm and format the USB drive as Ext4 with journaling enabled. Create a 2GB swap file. Now, install the programs as you need. The link below is a suggested order of installing programs (doesn't mean you have to install every one). :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/order-of-installing-popular-scripts.61854/#post-551865

HTH.

Beta is fine for me after applying it over .16

I'm assuming a clean install of amtm + scripts?

First, back up whatever you feel is important on the USB drive and the JFFS partition. (This is mostly for your peace of mind, I would recreate everything 'fresh' anyway).

Now, safely remove the USB drive and insert it into a PC. Format it (after doing your backup, above) as NTFS.

On the router, check the box that will 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot'. Make sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page. Now, reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting at least 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.

Insert the USB drive into the router (I suggest using a USB 2.0 port or using the USB 3.0 port set to USB 2.0 mode so that there is minimal interference from the USB on the 2.4GHz band).

Startup amtm and format the USB drive as Ext4 with journaling enabled. Create a 2GB swap file. Now, install the programs as you need. The link below is a suggested order of installing programs (doesn't mean you have to install every one). :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/order-of-installing-popular-scripts.61854/#post-551865

HTH.

Thanks.

Dirty flash from latest and all is good :)

The list of changes:

Code:
384.17 (xx-xxx-xxxx)
  - NEW: Add Chacha20-poly1305 support to dropbear (themiron)
  - UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.81-openssl (themiron)
  - UPDATED: openvpn to 2.4.9.
  - UPDATED: curl to 7.69.1.
  - UPDATED: openssl-1.1 to 1.1.1g (themiron)
  - UPDATED: nano to 4.9.2.
  - FIXED: RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300 could fail to upgrade
           from newer stock versions to Asuswrt-Merlin.
  - FIXED: Various webui issues with sorting DHCP reservations.

384.13_7 (xx-xxx-xxxx)
  This release is only available for the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200.

- UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.81-openssl (themiron)
  - UPDATED: openvpn to 2.4.9.
  - UPDATED: openssl-1.1 to 1.1.1g (themiron)

Please confirm that everything is still working properly (and don't forget to mention which router model you tested).

Adding Chacha20-poly1305 support to dropbear (for the dnsmasq and openssl updates, I'm guessing) is interesting...

Zero change to L2TP/VPN code.
That is a clear statement. Unfortunately the practical reality is that I encountered these problems immediately after installing the beta and they vanished when rolling back. Will wait for the next beta or the final. (Have done multiple trials (reflashing/ M&M after nuclear reset too...). Cheers.

Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!