What's new

[beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 beta is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically anything other then the default level is useless. I tried a lower priority log level to stop the spam after that the log logged nothing. Using stock firmware and using nvram set log_level=5 stops all the spam and it does log other events such as IPv6 connect and firmware checks. These are lower priority events so i would assume anything important would also show in the log.

The problem is the stock/Merlin log gets filled up so fast and furious you can't see something that might really matter with out the pain of sorting through the mess of uselessness. Asus routers never use to be this way. They need to fix this.

So basically anything other then the default level is useless. I tried a lower priority log level to stop the spam after that the log logged nothing. Using stock firmware and using nvram set log_level=5 stops all the spam and it does log other events such as IPv6 connect and firmware checks. These are lower priority events so i would assume anything important would also show in the log.

The problem is the stock/Merlin log gets filled up so fast and furious you can't see something that might really matter with out the pain of sorting through the mess of uselessness. Asus routers never use to be this way. They need to fix this.

Installed scribe and be done with it.

Reactions: a5m
Installed scribe and be done with it.

No i don't want to install third party add on's. I like my router to run as clean as possible. Not another program to fix a broken program.

Look it's not a deal breaker just very F***ing stupid and annoying as hell.

No i don't want to install third party add on's. I like my router to run as clean as possible. Not another program to fix a broken program.

If you don't want to use a solution to the problem then wait for asus to fix however long that will take.

It depends the priority level at which a log entry is added. With syslog, when you add something to the log, you specify its priority. Anything added by the core asuswrt code itself will be at the "Default message log level" because its built-in logmessage() function does not let you specify a priority. Log entries coming from other daemons like dnsmasq or miniupnpd however will log messages at various levels, based on whether they are, for example, notices, errors, warnings, etc...

So, if you set your filter to only report events of a higher priority, then these scripts will not be able to access the log entries they rely on.
Thank you!

Anton

It was for the people with the AC88U that had a issue with upgrading from stock to Merlin because Asus now has a the admin password encrypted.

I honestly don't think zipping or no zipping a firmware file will impact anything on its functionality except just compressing its file size for uploading and downloading.

Reactions: a5m
Struggling with local dnsmasq name resolution with TLD domain. It used to work fine for the last 2 years or so.
When I set
LAN LAN-IP Domain Name to somedomain nslookup works. When I set it to somedomain.com internet stops working (nslookup as well) .

I found that if I reboot after changing the domain name it works...

My Settings:
DHCP Server
Domain Name somedomain.com
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1
Advertise DNS: no
Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) - Enabled

my dnsmasq.conf.add (chmod a+rx)

address=/somedomain.com/127.0.0.1
address=/somedomain.com/::1
server=/somedomain.com/127.0.0.1 # prob redundant to address, thought it wont hurt
strict-order
dhcp-sequential-ip
dhcp-host=00:56:dc:xx:xx:xx,net:lan,RT88,192.168.1.1,10m # Asus Router Living Ro
dhcp-host=a8:5e:45:x:xx:xx,net:lan,AX58,192.168.1.2,10m # Asus Router Garage

Last edited:

Look it's not a deal breaker just very F***ing stupid and annoying as hell.
That's one way to look at, or you can say that add-on scripts fix the shortcomings of the firmware.

I honestly don't think zipping or no zipping a firmware file will impact anything on its functionality except just compressing its file size for uploading and downloading.

It's because I had to recompile the firmware, and to ensure people realize it's not the same one that was previously there, I decided not to bother in packaging it, and just uploaded the image as-is, after deleting the previous archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!