What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18 Beta / 384.13_9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPS is a must, in my opinion. My Router and NAS would do all kinds of weird things until I got a UPS. All the weirdness went away after that. Unclean power coupled with not greatest of power supplies equals problems.
Brother, AMEN to that...especially the NAS! UPS isn't an option in my systems.

out of curiosity, what ups do you guys use with your router? I'd imagine a small one would be enough?

UPS is a must, in my opinion. My Router and NAS would do all kinds of weird things until I got a UPS. All the weirdness went away after that. Unclean power coupled with not greatest of power supplies equals problems.

But the Asus routers use DC power. The AC input is being transformed and stepped down so not sure what good a UPS would do or what issues fluctuations in AC current would cause.

out of curiosity, what ups do you guys use with your router? I'd imagine a small one would be enough?
My AC86U router and switch are on an APC Back-UPS XS 1500. My AC3100 access point and cable modem are on a CyberPower 1350AVR. My wired workstation is on a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD. My main server is on another APC Back-UPS XS 1500. My wife's wired workstation is on another APC Back-UPS XS 1500. Our entertainment center is on a CyberPower 1350AVR.

Overkill? Not after we experienced a power surge that destroyed a cable modem and a TV.

My AC86U router and switch are on an APC Back-UPS XS 1500. My AC3100 access point and cable modem are on a CyberPower 1350AVR. My wired workstation is on a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD. My main server is on another APC Back-UPS XS 1500. My wife's wired workstation is on another APC Back-UPS XS 1500. Our entertainment center is on a CyberPower 1350AVR.

Overkill? Not after we experienced a power surge that destroyed a cable modem and a TV.
1500VA is certainly overskill for the router/APs switches!

I agree! Before I purchased the AC86U the AC3100 was my router and it was on an APC 500VA UPS. But that 1500VA UPS is what I already had when I relocated the router and modem so I put it to work. I still have another APC Back-UPS XS 1500 as a spare :D

But the Asus routers use DC power. The AC input is being transformed and stepped down so not sure what good a UPS would do or what issues fluctuations in AC current would cause.

The AC fluctuations are transferred to the DC side. Unless the DC supply has real good filtering ability (which the stock supply does not), the noise and fluctuations of the AC just mirror to the DC side. My NAS would lock up constantly and log file were always filled with errors. The Router not so much, but it too would freeze up.

After adding the UPS, I have never had to reboot the NAS for a recovery and Router too is solid.

The additional surge protection is also nice. I use a APC 900 plugged into a primary surge AC arrestor. My WAN side also goes through an independent surge suppression device. Gives me about 30 minutes of up time. However, it is power line filtering and surge suppression that I am after.

i'm thinking more about power outages. although now that i think about it, my street cable node would probably also be out

i'm thinking more about power outages. although now that i think about it, my street cable node would probably also be out
Not necessarily, the last scheduled power outage we had did not impact our cable feed. I guess our node power is on another circuit.

Many street nodes have a battery backup and even if they don’t, the outage may be localized such that they aren’t impacted.

My router and modem are on a UPS. One time I had a several hour outage and my Internet connection stayed up until my UPS finally gave out. The last time this happened was last month and my UPS died after about 45 minutes because the battery is old.

I don't think so. I love sitting in pitch darkness with no power all around me but have hours and hours of internet connectivity with my laptop(s). All my UPS' are 1350VA or larger.

In the early '90s, a network was not a requirement to be able to do any work. Twenty years later, a network is a first-class citizen and is just as important as the laptop, desktop, and any other device that is used to access non-local data (i.e. on the information highway). :)

The larger units are actually more economical than the smaller ones because with a fresh set of batteries (a cost of maybe $25), they are good for another 5 years of service at a minimum.

Overkill is good when it ensures less stress all around. :)

I don't think so. I love sitting in pitch darkness with no power all around me but have hours and hours of internet connectivity with my laptop(s). All my UPS' are 1350VA or larger.

In the early '90s, a network was not a requirement to be able to do any work. Twenty years later, a network is a first-class citizen and is just as important as the laptop, desktop, and any other device that is used to access non-local data (i.e. on the information highway). :)

The larger units are actually more economical than the smaller ones because with a fresh set of batteries (a cost of maybe $25), they are good for another 5 years of service at a minimum.

Overkill is good when it ensures less stress all around. :)
you dont need 1350va if youre literally plugging in just a switch and a router! if the outage is that long i'm more concerned with the contents of my fridge and freezer than my network...

Wrong topic

Clients: 68
Uptime: 6 days 20 hour(s) 46 minute(s) 28 seconds
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 57°C - CPU: 70°C
Log: Jun 23 09:19:52 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Jun 23 09:19:55 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

The 1350VA endurance may not be needed, but the additional surge/brownout Sinewave protection features are. And they usually aren't implemented as well on a lower-end model.

I can last longer without eating than I can without the internet.

And the lack of food would be a health win too! :)

It is indeeed! But my APC PRO-1500 + matching battery pack is enough to run my cable modem, router, Ethernet switch, least power-hungry printer, desktop PC, 32" monitor, NAS, and house cordless phones for several hours. That load is currently 103 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!