What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little further testing with the new QOS fix. If you are a FreshJR QOS user, then you will want to remove the vpn client download rule, and keep the upload rule as the fix does nothing for overhead traffic, coming from the vpn download stream. So it's a half fix, sorry guys.:oops::oops:

I only implemented a fix for downloaded traffic because it had no negative impact. The upload traffic "fix" is more of a workaround, as it forces traffic into an arbitrary class, which might not be suitable for everyone.

It's pretty much the same level of compression, just that uses more efficient structures, reducing overhead slightly. It's a poorly documented feature in OpenVPN 2.4.

Personally I recommend not using compression with OpenVPN anyway, as most network traffic doesn't compress too well these days (since it's already encrypted).

Yes, I agree. Based on this and previous discussions on other threads (especially the one that discussed the Voracle attack), I have changed my compression to "Disabled" and removed lzo-comp line from the custom section.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-vulnerability.48459/#post-425119

Did a dirty upgrade of beta1 over alpha3. It seems to work, but I now cannot log into the router, with none of: the password that was working in alpha 3, nor the one I tried to set but it would not take, nor with the default password, in either the webui nor via WinSCP.

A little further testing with the new QOS fix. If you are a FreshJR QOS user, then you will want to remove the vpn client download rule, and keep the upload rule as the fix does nothing for overhead traffic, coming from the vpn download stream. So it's a half fix, sorry guys.:oops::oops:

Doesn't apply for Astrill Applet after testing.

The option of selecting fq_codel is there, but I don't use QoS myself so I haven't tested it.

I guess that there is no option for cake

So I decided to play around with QoS. I enabled Adaptive QoS with custom settings. I choose fq_codel Ethernet VLAN (4) for my GPON Fiber 500/500 mbit Internet connection and was using the preset for gaming with bandwidth set to 475/475 mbit. These are my results;

Without QoS:

With QoS:

I did retest a few times over and the results seems to be consistent. When enabling QoS I will be loosing throughput. I'm not entire sure how this Adaptive QoS is supposed to work in practice, but I figure when there is not much else going on it should let HTTP downloads reach at least 475 mbit as thats what configured as my bandwidth in the settings? It seems to be capping the bandwidth way too low if you ask me, at least considering there wasn't anything else hugging neither download or upload during the tests?

But I suppose this has nothing to do with 384.8 BETA1 and is just how the Adaptive QoS works and handles traffic to begin with? I tried to apply FreshJR Adaptive QoS script but the results are pretty much identical. I did also noticed that during the speed test one of the four cores on the RT-AX88U started to peak above 90% CPU so it might be hitting a processing wall as traffic is not able to be accelerated when using QoS and the traffic handling is just incapable of spreading across cores/threads so you are limited to the performance of a single core/thread and even the RT-AX88U is starting to limit your throughput at 300 mbps?

Decided to another test, where I just told the Adaptive QoS that my bandwidth is 1000/1000 mbps to ensure that it shouldn't really be trying to do much as I'm way below my maximum threshold when using 500/500 mbit and I have the exact same results;

So clearly there is something that limits the WAN throughput to around 300 mbps when you do not have the "Runner" acceleration activated.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Indeed, thank you for all your hard work. I've not been using your firmware for some time as I moved over to using pfSense and Palo-Alto firewalls but due to the impossible nature of NATv4 and a single public IP-address it was impossible to use it with multiple gaming PC's and consoles. I actually tested the Netgear R7800 and XR500 but jumped onto the RT-AC86U as soon as I figured you offered Full-Cone-NAT on that router and decided to return it and go with the RT-AX88U instead when you told me it would also get Full-Cone-NAT to have some more CPU headroom.

As a token of my appreciation I will be donating 2 USD (not much, I know) on a monthly basis all the time I'll be using your firmware. It's the least I can do for all the work you are putting into this and considering how much I appreciate how you make what would otherwise be useless routers for me become viable options.

3990 NOK equalling about 472 USD but you have to consider I live in Norway with some really high tax rates at 25%. It's some silly prices for a home router, especially for someone like me who don't even use the wireless. I even have this Palo Alto PA-220 for free with NFR license, but as it's impossible to get gaming working through it without having multiple public IPv4-addresses for 1:1 NAT mappings it becomes useless for a gamer like me so it's running in parallel for IPSec Site-to-Site VPN tunnels.

Decided to another test, where I just told the Adaptive QoS that my bandwidth is 1000/1000 mbps to ensure that it shouldn't really be trying to do much as I'm way below my maximum threshold when using 500/500 mbit and I have the exact same results;

So clearly there is something that limits the WAN throughput to around 300 mbps when you do not have the "Runner" acceleration activated.
If you have that kind of speed from your isp then QOS really has no need to be run.;):)

As the RT-AC56U is now dropped I’ll have to upgrade to another router. Am I amble to put it back on ASUS firmware to be used in AP mode.

As the RT-AC56U is now dropped I’ll have to upgrade to another router. Am I amble to put it back on ASUS firmware to be used in AP mode.
That should work without issues.

Dirty Upgrade AC3100 from alpha 3 to Beta 1, running smoothly, thanks RMerlin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!