What's new

Blocking Youtube ads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cubyc

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys, is there any way to block Youtube ads from router with Skynet or Diversion? I do have Ublock on my pc but on my Tv can not get rid of this annoying ads, is a pain when listening music on Youtube on TV.
Please if anyone has any idea or there is a solution to share will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello guys, is there any way to block Youtube ads from router with Skynet or Diversion? I do have Ublock on my pc but on my Tv can not get rid of this annoying ads, is a pain when listening music on Youtube on TV.
Please if anyone has any idea or there is a solution to share will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I don't mean to be sarcastic but a membership works! ;)

Thanks
Like @skeal said, you will have to pay for a YT premium subscription to block ads. More details on this post.

Like @skeal said, you will have to pay for a YT premium subscription to block ads. More details on this post.

I agree. The only I am able to view YouTube videos without ads is through my browser (Safari) and by having installed Adblock Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or just use a browser ad blocker for youtube?

the Brave browser does a pretty decent job of blocking YouTube ads

Thanks
I use pi hole works for the most part on and off, seems to work fine on my rock 64 I run android tv on it and it works on my chrome cast but I do get ads from time to time.

This is great for android TVs

I use pi hole works for the most part on and off, seems to work fine on my rock 64 I run android tv on it and it works on my chrome cast but I do get ads from time to time.
Pi Hole is great too just looking something on Diversion or Skynet but seems that there is nothing.
I don't mean to be sarcastic but a membership works! ;)
I would rather donate my money to small developers instead paying Youtube/Google giant corporation, I will not be part of their wealth:p

Pi Hole is great too just looking something on Diversion or Skynet but seems that there is nothing.
I doubt that Pi-hole is able to block YT ads or do a better job than Diversion does at partially blocking some ads.
It all depends on the right domains being blocked for DNS based ad-blockers.
One cannot block a domain that serves good (videos) and bad (ads) content such as YT does.

This is great for android TVs

I would rather donate my money to small developers instead paying Youtube/Google giant corporation, I will not be part of their wealth:p

Well, you've already given Asus your money. if you're serious about supporting the "small developers," @RMerlin, @thelonelycoder, @Adamm, @FreshJR, @JackYaz and others around here are most definitely worthy. Give them whatever you were planning on spending on a RasPi - you have all the hardware you need to do the job you're looking to accomplish

*Youtube Vanced is great for Android TVs. Never see ads again
Note the last post prior to this thread being necroposted was from Sep 6, 2019. Youtube Vanced was discontinued (forced to shut down by Google) earlier this year.

Smart YouTube (aka SmartTubeNext), previously mentioned three years ago upthread is one current alternative for certain Android devices.

Adguard Home on a RPI (or the router now) or a Pi hole will do it.

Edit: no it won't (unless configured) see below

Last edited:
Really? I'm surprised, as I thought that the consensus was that no DNS based blocking would be fully effective, and it would always require more advanced means (browser based plugins, etc..).

Really? I'm surprised, as I thought that the consensus was that no DNS based blocking would be fully effective, and it would always require more advanced means (browser based plugins, etc..).

Works fine (adguard home on rpi) on my tv, I have got all lists enabled, plus a few off github, not sure if that makes a difference.

See below.

Last edited:
Generally, at least for Pi-Hole, it won't block ads served from Youtube's own servers. Its a common issue with sites that serve up ads from their own domain. In those cases special dedicated apps like Smart Tube or web browser extensions can help block those ads. Edit: some have had luck finding specific Google servers to block for Youtube ads but its apparently hit or miss by and large.