What's new

br0: received packet on XX with own address as source address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shark

Regular Contributor
Hello,

So I've changed ISP a few days ago, from one FTTH one to the other one, in other words both ISPs(the old one and the new one) both were\are FTTH... So in the old ISP, they used a ONT from fiberhome, i used it bridge mode with my RT-AC86U doing the PPPoE connection! On the new ISP they use a different ONT, from nokia model G-240W-A... On first to the second day the ONT was in router mode because the ISP said they could not put it\did not know how to put it in bridge mode(lmao) and i did not had the master password with all permissions and since i was not familiar with this ONT yet, it stayed like that for two days like i said! On the third day, searching a lot on google I've found the master password in a french forum, after that i finally put the ONT in bridge mode and made my RT-AC86 do the PPPoE connection...

The problem is that after i set the ONT in bridge mode and made my RT-AC86U do the PPPoE connection, i started to get these on my log occasionally:

L5DWzCH.png

If i am tracking packet loss using winmtr, them i get a lot of the erros above /\, image \/:

29da3OM.png

ACoKX0Q.png

And it seems that every time that i get this message when i am tracking packet loss, i lose a few packets, including the packets at the destination.

What i did to put the nokia ONT in bridge mode was the following:

Go to the wan of the ONT, delete all settings there, go to the lan page and change port 1 from route mode to bridge mode... After that i went to my RT-AC86U in the lan -> Iptv, put it on manual setting and set the vlan just like it was in the ONT when it was in router mode, then i went to the wan page of the RT-AC86U and setup it with my pppoe user and password.

Does anyone know if it is something in my configuration? Or its the ISP fault?

Thx

Last edited:
Does anyone know if is something in my configuration? Or its the ISP fault?
Probably neither....
The blocked inbound packets are most likely people scanning your system for potential exploits....welcome to the internet of today.

The received packet with own address are usually one of two things....
- if you have an access point or repeater, a client moving between them and the router
- some clients use a congestion avoidance technique 'CTS to self' which can trigger those messages

Probably neither....
The blocked inbound packets are most likely people scanning your system for potential exploits....welcome to the internet of today.

- if you have an access point or repeater, a client moving between them and the router
- some clients use a congestion avoidance technique 'CTS to self' which can trigger those messages

I don't have a repeater, the only wireless device making a wireless network is the RT-AC86U.

Yeah i am getting a lot more of blocked connections with the new ISP, i guess its because now i have an public ipv4 address... because on the old ISP i was stuck in CGNAT, they would not give me and ipv4 address.

Thx :)

You mean only my clients right? Not people scanning my ip for exploits right? For the second possibility i mean. Because i did not had these errors with the old ISP and setup and the clients here on my network remained the same ever since.

Also the RT-AC86U is using smart connect on the wireless.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean only my clients right?
Yes, I was referring to your wireless clients, not anything upstream. IIRC, Dell laptops were one example of clients set up this way.

It's also possible that the new AC86 SDK has changed the behavior somewhat. I'm not entirely familiar with the AC86, so not sure what eth5/eth6 interfaces are (internal or related to smartconnect). I can maybe see where smartconnect may behave similarly to an AP/repeater if the client is switching connects.

Yes, I was referring to your wireless clients, not anything upstream. IIRC, Dell laptops were one example of clients set up this way.

It's also possible that the new AC86 SDK has changed the behavior somewhat. I'm not entirely familiar with the AC86, so not sure what eth5/eth6 interfaces are (internal or related to smartconnect). I can maybe see where smartconnect may behave similarly to an AP/repeater if the client is switching connects.

What i find strange is that i was not having these errors on my log before with the old ISP, and my setup remained the same! The only client connect to my router using a cable is my desktop, all other clients are wireless. On the old ISP there was no vlan, i just had to setup my user and password in the wan for the pppoe connection and in this new isp there is a vlan that i need to setup on the rt-ac86u in lan -> iptv.

Could this be related to the ONT? Since i did not disable the DHCP on it? Although, when i changed the lan port 1 from router mode to bridge mode on the ONT, the dhcp got disabled for that port. What is strange is that i get these errors when i am doing tests with winmtr for packet loss or\and if i get a lot of blocked connections by skynet.

EDIT:

NVM, these erros are pretty sporadic to be honest, i just got a lot of blocked connections by skynet and a not single:

br0: received packet on XX with own address as source address

Last edited:
Does anyone else or even john9527, have any more tips about this issue? Anyone know if this can cause any problem with my connection? Like packet loss? Any solutions?

Any know information's about these interfaces as well? eth5, eth6 and br0? So i can try an track the issue down?

Nvm, i found that these interfaces are ipv6 related:

O4JtVKn.png

Checking the ipv6 wan, looks like im not getting the ipv6 properly anymore, tested with the ont as well and its also not getting the ipv6 like it should! I guess that its some problem with my ISP.

Last edited:
Dam i thought it was the ipv6 fault only, so i disabled it but i am still getting the error, but its much less frequently now.

Does anyone know the command to list the interfaces through ssh and what is connect to them ? Or where i can find them(interfaces) through the web interface?

I did a search on 'eth5' in this forum and found the following....
- eth5/6 are the wireless interfaces on the AC86 (replacing wl0, wl1). Just for completeness, br0 is the lan bridge interface
- you are not the only one reporting those messages, which appear to be benign. Some are seeing many more than you have reported. There have been a couple of solutions proposed, without any consensus on their success.

I did a search on 'eth5' in this forum and found the following....
- eth5/6 are the wireless interfaces on the AC86 (replacing wl0, wl1). Just for completeness, br0 is the lan bridge interface
- you are not the only one reporting those messages, which appear to be benign. Some are seeing many more than you have reported. There have been a couple of solutions proposed, without any consensus on their success.
thx very much :) i was using the search wrong, i was trying to find a ssh command to list the interfaces :) instead of searching for the interfaces names here on the forum

Hi,
Did you try to do this :
"brctl setageing br0 0"
This removed all the log for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!