What's new

Brand new AC88u 2.4Ghz not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Got my router back from Asus repair today. Sent out HW version A2 and got a brand new A6 back. Pleased with my customer service interaction.

Is the two year warranty available to a replacement like this?

Last edited:
Got my router back from Asus repair today. Sent out HW version A2 and got a brand new A6 back. Pleased with my customer service interaction.

Is the two year warranty available to a replacement like this?

If it's a new unit, it should have a two year warranty on it. Register it with asus.

Looks like Asus updated my registered products with the new one they sent me. I am not able to register it for the two year warranty. I have 2 months.

I sent back my router that the 5ghz band wouldnt show up and randomly rebooted and got a brand new a6 model also seems to be working right now, kinda scared to try ddwrt or merlin firmware on it as its working.

Got my AC88U in Feb and its been working lovely. However 2.4ghz stopped giving out an IP a couple of days ago for no reason. It seemed to gradually deteriorate but now no devices can connect via 2.4ghz. I can see the network name in the list and connect to it but it doesn't establish an internet connection. 5ghz is fine. The router thinks its all ok but its not. I am not going to mess about so have booked a return. I will buy another one and try again as it has been stable up until now. Much better than the TP-Link VR2800 that couldn't maintain a stable connection. It seems there are no other comparable options. Will let you know if the replacement works ok.

I have just bunged on the router that came with my isp and its working fine but not good enough when everyone is on the network.

Fingers crossed the replacement will be ok.

Just plugged mine back in and its working so i am thinking it might be heat related. I have the DSL version and its HW version A1 - does anyone know about the A1 version? I read above that people have A6

I will leave it on and see what happens for a while before I send it back.

Bought a brand new unit..after two days noticed the speed dropped considerably and the unit had 100% CPU 1 and/or 2. Hard reboot and the 2.4GHz band never came back. Asus support recommended downgrading firmware and factory resetting unit. Still, 2.4GHz band never came back. Device was 3 days old...when it worked I loved it.. so sad and seeing how many people seem to have this issue I don't think I can justify replacing it with another .. 'fool me once'.

I am seeing the 2.4 GHz (led off, no broadcast) on an A6. Just noticed last night, current on the way home to run some more tests so I can send the results over to ASUS support.

I had an AC86U and the 2.4 GHz failed after 2 weeks. I read through this thread and what happened to my 86U was exactly what happened to those here with their 88Us. This is really odd. Mine worked perfectly for 2 weeks and I loved this router and then I get up one morning and 2.4 is dead. Reboot, reset to factory default, etc. No deal. Because I didn't want to deal with the ASUS return stuff, I returned it to Amazon for a refund before my time was up with them. I returned to my ultra reliable and old N66U which has been rock solid on 2.4 however the 86U had better range on both bands. All the same stuff happened to me. My pixel 2 connected OK and then would drop the 1st time I tried to access the Internet, other times "auth failures". All after a perfect 2 weeks and no problems ever with the N66U. Oh well.

I probably will buy another 86U in a few months and give it another chance. Perhaps I got a bad one.

I've gone through 3 AC3100s with this same problem so far. My dad and I both got one, I just shipped his back for the 2nd time, mine is going back for the first time. WTF ASUS, really? I'm about to just give up on them and get a Netgear or something. Our free t-mobile ac1900 routers have been working perfect for years.

I have been having similar issues with my rt-ac88u HW Ver. 6 (shown on bottom of router w/ CQ tag, serial , etc.)
Basically, would have everything up and running/ configured.

Then after time BOTH radios (2.4 & 5Ghz) would become disabled (under Professional tab) without me knowing it for no reason it seems. Enable Radio = No
Have an RMA scheduled for replacement. Im wondering if it's a option/selection I have selected that's doing it.
SEE PICTURES

Does anyone know if Smart Connect feature could be causing this?

UPDATE: Turned Smart Connect OFF, and it's still turning off. Annoying. I wonder if it's because it's over heating. I have mine leaned up wards, so less ventilation as see in picture.
Please compare temperatures if mine is way high.
The biggest obvious CON to this router is it's design. USB 3.0 ports in front and no ventilation in back or hanging options. Those design Engineers should be fired.

Attachments

• Wirless-General-settings.JPG
    Wirless-General-settings.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Wirless-professional-settings.JPG
    Wirless-professional-settings.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 719
  • Router-location.jpg
    Router-location.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 877
  • 5ghz disables.JPG
    5ghz disables.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 711
  • Over heating2.JPG
    Over heating2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:
Bought a new AC-3100 to change my rock solid AC66U and after 1 mont my 2.4Ghz stopped working.
The device can authenticate but do not get IP.

I did everything like others. Change firmware, reset, reset using WPS button.

The problem is I live in Brazil and bought it when I visit USA last month of May. I think Asus will not RMA it...
Considerer changing to another brand.

Capture.JPG

I am having the dead 2.4GHz radio on my recently purchased refurb from newegg. No 2.4 LED on the unit and there is no mac address listed in the firmware. Seems to be hardware related. Its my second refurb and was going to use it as an AiMesh node. First 3100 refurb has been solid for 3 months, this second one is a dud. Oh well. Newegg will replace and we'll see about the replacement.

I have a brand new ac88u with the same problem as the OP. Symptoms match the screenshots that Prince posted.

It ran for about a day then the 2.4Ghz band went away. Trying to access the WebGUI would lead to a broken webpage, even after reboot. Tried restoring original fw, wiping nvram, switching settings around, loading older versions of the fw, etc, but nothing restored the 2.4Ghz.

I found a few other threads reporting similar issues. Could anything in recent patches to the official fw or any changes to Merlin fw be causing this?

I am in a downtown, high-density, wifi area - but I've never had trouble before (and my old router still works fine). I also wonder if it could have anything to do with the "smart connect" feature. I don't use it, just curious if it could be related.

---

BTW thank you, RMerlin, for writing/maintaining this project. I wouldn't even consider buying Asus hw if it wasn't for this project and Shibby's tomato fw.
Same issue for me with a one day old AC88U - 2.4ghz led is off and if you look under the WDS tab, the mac address for the 2.4ghz radio is blank, only the 5ghz is populated, tried multiple firmwares.
Has anyone tried updating firmware using the rescue method?

Same issue for me with a one day old AC88U - 2.4ghz led is off and if you look under the WDS tab, the mac address for the 2.4ghz radio is blank, only the 5ghz is populated, tried multiple firmwares.
Has anyone tried updating firmware using the rescue method?

I dont think its software related. If possible, just get it replaced.

I recently bought an AC88u router as an upgrade. It worked great out of the box (though I must say that the boot times are atrocious). On the second day, I saw that the 2.4 Ghz band LED was off and on scanning wifi networks on multiple devices, the 2.4Ghz band was no where to be seen. In addition, trying to access the WebGUI would lead to a broken webpage, even after reboot.

I reset the router, and though the WebGUI was back, the 2.4Ghz band was still not working. I have tried upgrading the firmware and flashing the original firmware back but nothing has worked.

The box says the router is revision A5 and manufactured in 2017.

I have never had the displeasure of owning such a flaky piece of hardware before. Is the issue related to heat (as the router did get quite warm to the touch) or is it shoddy software?

I had same problem. There is a button on router that says 'wifi' along with 2 other buttons 'wps' 'led' . Press the wifi button. That will turn off wifi on your router. Then after a minute press and hold the wifi button for 3 seconds. This restarts the wifi and 2.4Ghz will start working. !!

Honestly, before making the decision that it is a hardware issue, install the latest Merlin build. I was having wifi issues with my 87u and was about to buy a new router but decided to try Merlin to see if it would work.
On Merlin it has no wifi issues.
Glad I did it.
Asus has bugs in their latest firmware for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!