What's new

Brand new AC88u 2.4Ghz not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Honestly, before making the decision that it is a hardware issue, install the latest Merlin build. I was having wifi issues with my 87u and was about to buy a new router but decided to try Merlin to see if it would work.
On Merlin it has no wifi issues.
Glad I did it.
Asus has bugs in their latest firmware for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I added Merlin but still having similar issues. I was on the latest ASUS firmware and now Merlin 384.10_2. My 2.4 GHz channel is set to hide but I want to unhide it. Everytime I go to the wireles setting and check "No" for the Hide option and click apply - nothing happens. Cleared cache from 2 different browers and tried. Tried connected of Wireless and hardwired. I can't even get the guest network to show up. Is it possible the router is just not broadcasting 2.4 at all? Next step is going to be a factory reset.

So I tried both a factory reset and a switch to Merlin but my 2.4 networks (both default and guest) are not showing up to any devices in my home nor mobiles. Do I have to send this to ASUS for a repair? Is there anything else I can try. I've never had so many problems with a router, very frustrating after spending so much more on this one.

So I tried both a factory reset and a switch to Merlin but my 2.4 networks (both default and guest) are not showing up to any devices in my home nor mobiles. Do I have to send this to ASUS for a repair? Is there anything else I can try. I've never had so many problems with a router, very frustrating after spending so much more on this one.

When running my firmware check the System Log -> Wireless Log. if it shows Channel 0 or something similar, then the radio is dead.

wow, glad i found this thread!! i bought mine February 16, 2018 and am fortunate that it lasted till about 2 months ago when the 2.4 band started disappearing on me. it would come back on once i rebooted the router but died the other day for good. thankfully i bought 4 year geek squad warranty with it so i can get it replaced for nothing. shame asus used to be a good router, looking elsewhere once my warranty with best buy runs out

shame asus used to be a good router, looking elsewhere once my warranty with best buy runs out

Hardware failures can happen to anyone. NASA had two Space Shuttle failures during the life of their program...

The RT-AC88U isn't known for chronic hardware failures with its radios, it's shown so far to be just as reliable as the RT-AC68U.

Check your USB 3.0 cable if you use this port. I have been running an rt-ac87u for some years without any trouble. The other day I connected a usb 3.0 drive with an unshielded cable to the router. Result: 2.4 ghz went away - didn’t come back until the drive was removed. I understand that USB 3.0 communication can generate electrical noise in the 2.4 ghz range.

Mine started showing this issue as well last week (2.4 available, but cannot join network, and if you join by any luck it won't do anything)

This while running latest Merlin firmware. I also try with latest Asus firmware, but same problem. (hard factory reset didn't do anything either) :(

I have found several threads around this issue, so it must be something on Asus's chips. Anyway, if someone knows what can be done, please tell me.

Check your USB 3.0 cable if you use this port. I have been running an rt-ac87u for some years without any trouble. The other day I connected a usb 3.0 drive with an unshielded cable to the router. Result: 2.4 ghz went away - didn’t come back until the drive was removed. I understand that USB 3.0 communication can generate electrical noise in the 2.4 ghz range.

Just for reference this worked for me! literally as soon as unplugged it my RT-AX88U wifi 2.4ghz channel jumped into life!

I’m also on RT-AX88U now and I am using USB 3.0 without any problems. I use a shielded cable - I believe that did the trick.
Yeah that didnt work for me strangely. Also not sure why that would only effect 2.4ghz. I also plugged in just a USB and did the same. For me 2,4 is more important so i just leave the USB free :)

Yeah that didnt work for me strangely. Also not sure why that would only effect 2.4ghz. I also plugged in just a USB and did the same. For me 2,4 is more important so i just leave the USB free :)
USB 3.0 runs on the same frequencies as 2.4 GHz - that’s why it sometimes causes interference. If a shielded cable doesn’t help - changing the port to operate as a usb 2.0 port should do the trick.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!