What's new

News Broadcom Updates Wi-Fi 7 Portfolio

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Sooner than I expected, but similar to what I've already commented about. :)

1st Gen products are not worth buying, if the plan is to keep them for years.

BCM47722 enterprise WiFi access point SoC specifications and key features

• CPU – Quad-core ARMv8 CPU with 10Gbps Ethernet PHY
  • Wireless
    • WiFi 7
      • Dual 2×2 tri-band (2.4, 5, and 6 GHz) capable radios that support simultaneous operation in any band
      • Integrated 2.4 GHz power amplifiers and support for Digital Pre-distortion (DPD) external FEMs for reduced power consumption
      • 4096-QAM modulation and 320 MHz channel bandwidth for 8.64 Gbps PHY rate
      • Multi-link operation (MLO) with up to 3-link support on SoC and SpeedBooster support
    • Integrated dual radio Bluetooth Low-Energy, Thread, and Zigbee Support
    • Compliance with Wi-Fi 7 and Automated Frequency Coordination (AFC) specifications, as well as the Bluetooth 5.4 standard and future draft specifications such as Channel Sounding for location services (HADM = High Accuracy Distance Measurement)

Interesting that they're all 2*2 radios for the WiFi...

The one I highlighted above - that's the interesting one with the BLE/Thread/Zigbee support - this is something I could expect to see a lot of the carrier provided equipment to use, and perhaps even on the mid-high end consumer devices.

Done right, and it could be a very handy device for the smart home integration, e.g. HomeKit, Matter, GoogleHome, etc...

Interesting that they're all 2*2 radios for the WiFi...
They're intended to be lower cost versions of the first gen products. Like the BCM675x was the low end version of the BCM4908 + BCM43684/BCM63xxx combo.

Done right, and it could be a very handy device for the smart home integration, e.g. HomeKit, Matter, GoogleHome, etc...
BT is used by Mesh products (like Asus's XT line) to facilitate the initial pairing.

BT is used by Mesh products (like Asus's XT line) to facilitate the initial pairing.

Sure, that's possible - that can be handled by a discrete BT radio - these are relatively cheap, and can interface with the main SoC via SPI, i2c, or UART.

This SoC has a lot more integration at first glance... I'm seeing it more as a service provider enabler for managed smart home services - as a thread border router bridging the thread/ble radios...

This variant likely was not done on speculation, but rather to a specification based on a customer ask - and that customer being a service provider.