What's new

Latest firmware updates - important for access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dub_it

New Around Here
Hi all, I have an old router I'd like to use as an access point. It's no longer supported, so no new firmware updates. I'm wondering, from a vulnerability / security standpoint, is it important to have those latest updates if the device is being used as a wireless access point only, versus fully functional router?

Hi all, I have an old router I'd like to use as an access point. It's no longer supported, so no new firmware updates. I'm wondering, from a vulnerability / security standpoint, is it important to have those latest updates if the device is being used as a wireless access point only, versus fully functional router?
Should have no security issues. If you are in an area with lots of other WIFI users make sure the "old" router supports WPA2. Older WIFI security methods (WEP and WPA) are easily hacked. WPA2 can be hacked but it much more difficult.