What's new

Broken 86u or 5 GHz inferences?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

emsik

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I've got problem with wifi download speed. My internet plan is 300Mbps down and 300Mbps up (PPPoE). Wired connection is ok but on 5 GHz WiFi sometimes i only get half of the download speed or less.
When the problem occurs I observe ping spikes to my gateway.
Usually responses from my ac86u to my wireless connected NUC are below 1ms and I can achieve 300Mbs, when problem occurs ping responses can achieve more than 2000ms and there is no internet and then goes down but spike upward to 70ms or more so download speed is limited.
Such situation exist few hours and then ping responses back to 1ms and everything works as it should. I can not find dependency, sometimes 1-2 days is ok.
I was trying to change channels but when problem occurs there is no difference, i also doesn't see any interference from my neighbors (only two of them has got 5ghz ap).
If there are such interference what it could be?

ps. I've restored the router to stock settings also made nuclear reset, changing to Merlin software making m&m setup but problem still exist and I don't know is this broken router or what kind of interferences?

Hello,
I've got problem with wifi download speed. My internet plan is 300Mbps down and 300Mbps up (PPPoE). Wired connection is ok but on 5 GHz WiFi sometimes i only get half of the download speed or less.
When the problem occurs I observe ping spikes to my gateway.
Usually responses from my ac86u to my wireless connected NUC are below 1ms and I can achieve 300Mbs, when problem occurs ping responses can achieve more than 2000ms and there is no internet and then goes down but spike upward to 70ms or more so download speed is limited.
Such situation exist few hours and then ping responses back to 1ms and everything works as it should. I can not find dependency, sometimes 1-2 days is ok.
I was trying to change channels but when problem occurs there is no difference, i also doesn't see any interference from my neighbors (only two of them has got 5ghz ap).
If there are such interference what it could be?

ps. I've restored the router to stock settings also made nuclear reset, changing to Merlin software making m&m setup but problem still exist and I don't know is this broken router or what kind of interferences?

Could be the 86U radio/circuit failing. Can you swap in a different router/AP to rule out everything else?

OE

I don't know is this broken router or what kind of interferences?
Have you tested with a wired connection to rule out the radios? Could it be your ISP's problem, or an intermittent cable?

Have you tested with a wired connection to rule out the radios? Could it be your ISP's problem, or an intermittent cable?

He said 'wired connection is ok' and seems to know what he is doing.

OE

ok. it seems that ping spikes has occurred, randomly ping responses from my gateway could achieve 40-50ms. I connected AP and can observe the same situation:( when changing to wired connection everything looks normal. One radio on 48 channel another on 149 channel and ping spikes occurs. So it looks like there is no problem with my asus? If yes what could cause such an interference?
These test was made from NUC with fedora.
When I change client to windows laptop and start to ping my gateway it only sometimes rise 2ms ...

A we have been telling everyone with problems on an AC86U, flash the Asus 384-81858 firmware. Factory Reset then manually configure. Use Dual Band Smart connect and set 2.4 GHZ to CH 1, 6, or 11 20 MHZ bandwidth. Set 5 GHZ to a fixed non DFS channel 20, 40 80 MHZ bandwidth. Don't change anu other WIFI settings! Set USB3 to USB2 operation. You may want to use a new SSID of up to 8 letters only!

Right now I'm on stock384_81858, I made nuclear reset, I've changed SSID (less than 8 characters), I disabled 2,4 GHz because I don't use it. I set my 5 GHz channel to 48 (20,40,80 MHz bandwidth). I'm not using USB so probably I cant change USB mode.

Right now I'm on stock384_81858, I made nuclear reset, I've changed SSID (less than 8 characters), I disabled 2,4 GHz because I don't use it. I set my 5 GHz channel to 48 (20,40,80 MHz bandwidth). I'm not using USB so probably I cant change USB mode.
Nuclear reset is not necessary. Factory reset for the AC86U is:
Power off
Pressing/hold WPS button press power button on. Power light will come on
When power light goes off, turn off power
Take a deep breath and turn power back on. Configure manually. Use Dual Band SmartConnect. There is no reason to disable the 2.4 GHZ. Do not disable or change any other Asus default WIFI settings. And yes, you can disable the USB3 to USB2 operation with no USB inserted. Also disable Samba and Media server.