What's new

Broken power button

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It happened to my RT-AX92U they are around 4 years old so far only 1 of them had this problem. I opened the router but unless I break some holders on the board I didn't see a way to get the motherboard out so I just wedged a wooden shish for a barbeque and it works perfeclty. Honestly this is an ongoing problem with Asus routers it seems . I really don't see the point of having a power switch on a router.

Those power switch failures are very annoying, specially because "no one" ever uses the switch and the failure is not related to the number of switching cycles.
The mandatory power switch is introduced years ago after errant regulations.
A proper switch would have a significant impact on the router manufacturing cost, a cheap toggle switch would have been better.

Attachments

• 20231227_204029.jpg
    20231227_204029.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 17
Rather than finding an identical replacement switch it might be easier to bridge the switch contacts on the underside of the PCB so that it's always on.
Probably with my little to none electronic knowledge Im assuming make it run directly when plugged in. If yes how to do it?

It requires soldering (with the right small soldering iron and some experience).
For the RT-AC68U (or similar) switch I guess it is safer to try some superglue solution to keep the switch in the ON position.

It requires soldering (with the right small soldering iron and some experience).
For the RT-AC68U (or similar) switch I guess it is safer to try some superglue solution to keep the switch in the ON position.
In my case the router only turns on when its pressed in certain angle with sticky glue it could create more problems

Then soldering short circuits is the very best and easiest solution.
This is a photo of the rear of the RT-AC68U printed circuit board:
1703751724013.png

Circled red are the 6 pins of the power switch.
Someone with a multi meter should be able to tell which pins shall be short circuited to make an always ON situation.
It shall one of the below two solutions
o o-o
o o-o

or:
o-o o
o-o o

Replacing the switch will be a nightmare: in the first place to find a suitable switch, secondly to get the old switch out without damaging the printed circuit board.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!