What's new

Broken power button

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jvrobert

Occasional Visitor
My stupid power button broke. It no longer "sticks" shut. And I wasn't even near the router when it broke, it was powered up in normal operating mode and just shut down on its own.

How ridiculous is that? I've never even heard of such a thing on a moderately high quality piece of consumer electronics. I have a piece of tape holding it down now, I guess I'll call Asus.

Is this some known issue that people have seen or am I just unlucky and somehow got a broken mechanical device, a switch, that has more or less been perfected for like 100+ years?

Honestly that is a shame a 200.00 plus router and the switch breakes.

Out of 200,000 - 300,000 routers, those things can happen.

Even NASA's high-end equipment has occasional failures, sometimes with tragic consequences. The key is to make sure that it's not a frequent occurence. For the power button, that doesn't seem to be the case - first time I hear about that one.

Out of 200,000 - 300,000 routers, those things can happen.

Even NASA's high-end equipment has occasional failures, sometimes with tragic consequences. The key is to make sure that it's not a frequent occurence. For the power button, that doesn't seem to be the case - first time I hear about that one.

Good point !! :)

Same problem here. Power button broke -> taped

I had the exact same thing happen to my Asus n66u. I was in the other room and the internet went out. Went to check router and determined the power button was no longer staying down. I tried electrical tape and a penny to hold it down and it kept coming up. So i used metal tape and two pennies pressed against the power button and now it works. :confused: I guess at this point i don't care as long as it works. I am just glad to know it may be a defect and not just really bad luck on my part. If anybody comes across a replacement part number please let me know so i can switch out the switch.

RT-N66U power button has also failed

What a disappointment that I found I had to hold down on the power button to get my router to power on... yay for duc(k/t) tape and a hard object I guess, huh? Here comes the RMA! In the meantime, RT-AC68U ordered... thank the gods for amazon gift cards (?). Last chance, Asus... my RT-N16 had defective caps and the wireless crapped out after just a year...

I had the same thing, it just broke a few minutes ago, now i am using a prices of hard paper go round the button, press it down and use superglue to hold it, and it works great. Should I go back to Asus to repair as this router is almost 2 years old.

ASUS RT-AC66U Unofficial Power Button Fix

Hopefully this power button fix lasts me a another year or so. Expensive router for so many issues. :mad:

Zip ties and duct tape.

Attachments

• asus-rt-ac66u-power-button-fix.jpg
    asus-rt-ac66u-power-button-fix.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 7,859
This power button issue happened to me. ASUS support said they won't cover the repair under their warranty. I've had this thing for less than a year. What should I do? The whole experience with support turned me off to ASUS. Here's how my call went:
(After 2 hours on hold)
"Hi I'm Danny how may I help you?"
"Hello Danny, I created a case online, my case number is ########"
"Okay, it looks like you have an issue with the power button. I can write you an RMA, but you will have to pay $150 to have it repaired."
"Well that's not how a warranty works, please transfer me to your supervisor."
"My supervisor is on the phone, but I can help. I'm a member of the escalation team, my name is Danny, how can I help you?"
"Are you kidding me? That's a fracking comedy routine, let me speak to your supervisor..."

Obviously the conversion went nowhere. Any suggestions?

Ask for an explanation as to why a defective power button would not be covered under warranty - it should. Power buttons should obviously not fail so early, this is a manufacturing defect which is precisely what warranty should cover IMHO.

Are you in the US?

I had the same issue yesterday evening,
Duck tape didn't hold it.
Think the heat is to much for the glue.
The radio temperature are around 58 - 61C.
not sure if I still got a warranty on it.
And don't want to be internet less for a few weeks.
The option with the zip ties looks to work and you still can use the USB ports.
Any other great ideas ?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

The power button on my 4 month old AC68u is starting to stick, I'm afraid to ever use it again. I just unplug the router if I need to powercycle it.

The power button on my 4 month old AC68u is starting to stick, I'm afraid to ever use it again. I just unplug the router if I need to powercycle it.
Mine does that as well. It's probably the casing interfering rather than the button itself having any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mine does that as well. It's probably the casing interfering rather than the button itself having any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yep my 68U is the same the button feels like it could break at any time but so far it has not and i hope it wont. :( With all the firmwares i have loaded and unloaded it sure gives it a work out.

Yet other manufacturers continue to use good old rocker switch. It would have cost Asus an additional 5 cents.

If yours no longer works to keep the router On, just jam a toothpick in.

Or you can use hot glue to keep the switch in On position. Hot glue is easy to remove and leaves the plastick nipple undamaged.

Last edited:
Yet other manufacturers continue to use good old rocker switch. It would have cost Asus an additional 5 cents.

If yours no longer works to keep the router On, just jam a toothpick in.

Or you can use hot glue to keep the switch in On position. Hot glue is easy to remove and leaves the plastick nipple undamaged.

Same problem here today with RT-N66U, the toothpick trick solved it :)

I just started a new thread, my n66u is exhibiting the same behavior, I wondered if I was crazy thinking "didn't the button stay pressed in" after powering on but seems I'm not crazy for thinking that. I will report this to Asus to see what they say but very disappointed in the hardware having a failure like this.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!