What's new

Bug. Adaptive QOS. Video & Audio streaming. 380.66_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Good day. Would like to contribute what I believe is a bug for investigation.

Setup) Made the following observations while using Adaptive QOS with an Ethernet connected PC. To duplicate go to QOS screen and set Adaptive QOS, Automatic bandwidth selection. Bug observed in priority mode "media streaming" and also in "customize". Did not test the other two options. Now before going further - go back to the bandwidth monitor screen and position it so you can see the upload and download displays.

Next step - load a video streaming application like say Kodi media player and stream a movie from the internet (the higher the resolution the better.. in this case I used 1080p).

Observation) Upon viewing the Asus Merlin router "Bandwidth monitor " tab one will now see the 'upload dial and bar graph' showing the movie that is being streamed as erroneously uploading. (should be showing downloading).

The error in direction is further displayed in the "QOS statistics" tab for video & audio streaming showing the movie traffic as accumulating under the UPLOAD statistics.

The incorrect direction of traffic is also observed with a wifi device. A test with an Android wifi device of exactly the same app streaming/movie shows the traffic reported as uploading when it is really downloading.

Other traffic like browser traffic reports correctly for both Ethernet and wifi devices.

My router is an RT-AC68U C1 with 380.66_2 f/w. EDIT summary: Openvpn server enabled, IPv6in 4 enabled. Disabling IPv6in 4 causes router to correctly display direction of traffic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-05-14-27-12.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-05-14-27-12.png
    243.2 KB · Views: 577
  • Screenshot_2017-06-05-14-27-23.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-05-14-27-23.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 618
  • Screenshot_2017-06-05-14-27-00.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-05-14-27-00.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 587
  • watching kodi tv video on wifi android tablet.pdf
    136.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Good day. Would like to contribute what I believe is a bug for investigation.

Setup) Made the following observations while using Adaptive QOS with an Ethernet connected PC. To duplicate go to QOS screen and set Adaptive QOS, Automatic bandwidth selection. Bug observed in priority mode "media streaming" and also in "customize". Did not test the other two options. Now before going further - go back to the bandwidth monitor screen and position it so you can see the upload and download displays.

Next step - load a video streaming application like say Kodi media player and stream a movie from the internet (the higher the resolution the better.. in this case I used 1080p).

Observation) Upon viewing the Asus Merlin router "Bandwidth monitor " tab one will now see the 'upload dial and bar graph' showing the movie that is being streamed as erroneously uploading. (should be showing downloading).

The error in direction is further displayed in the "QOS statistics" tab for video & audio streaming showing the movie traffic as accumulating under the UPLOAD statistics.

The incorrect direction of traffic is also observed with a wifi device. A test with an Android wifi device of exactly the same app streaming/movie shows the traffic reported as uploading when it is really downloading.

Other traffic like browser traffic reports correctly for both Ethernet and wifi devices.

My router is an RT-AC68U C1 with 380.66_2 f/w.
You have IPV6 enabled. This has been noted before. Disable IPV6 and QOS upload/download works OK. Set the upload and download speeds in manual and IPV6 download will be limited to the QOS upload setting. In auto mode it will work OK if your download speed is around 10 meg.

You have IPV6 enabled. This has been noted before. Disable IPV6 and QOS upload/download works OK. Set the upload and download speeds in manual and IPV6 download will be limited to the QOS upload setting. In auto mode it will work OK if your download speed is around 10 meg.
I tried all this and more and it's still showing backwards. If you use a vpn it may have something to do with it.

Yes I have IPV6 enabled. So then it is a bug for sure that needs fixin'. I will disable it later today and see if that changes anything.

Edit: Retest complete. Disabling the IPV6in4 feature causes the router to revert to correct display of upload and download speeds for both Ethernet and wifi.

Last edited:
I tried all this and more and it's still showing backwards. If you use a vpn it may have something to do with it.

The bug was observed on the LAN while using both Ethernet and wifi. While the OPENVPN Server is enabled on the router it was not in use at the time. Hope this helps.