What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS for Gaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SadBeatz

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys, I need some help.
I got a DSL-AX82U router and no idea what QoS to use, I've been running CakeQoS for some time now and seems the best for my current scenario but I don't know if it's optimal for gaming or not.

My connection / Setup:

VDSL 40mbps download / 15mbps upload

I'm connected via a ethernet cable

This are my current settings:
1711226937738.png

1711226976635.png

1711226988160.png

Should I keep CakeQoS or go for FlexQoS?

Test both and see what works better on your ISP and games. Other forks around have different ISP and perhaps play different games.

Hey guys, I need some help.
I got a DSL-AX82U router and no idea what QoS to use, I've been running CakeQoS for some time now and seems the best for my current scenario but I don't know if it's optimal for gaming or not.

My connection / Setup:

VDSL 40mbps download / 15mbps upload

I'm connected via a ethernet cable

This are my current settings:
View attachment 57394
View attachment 57395
View attachment 57396

Have you noticed any issues with CAKE?

As @Tech9 mentioned, try both and test both while gaming.

If you haven't had any issues with CAKE I would just stay with it.

Test both and see what works better on your ISP and games. Other forks around have different ISP and perhaps play different games.
I tried FlexQoS but can't seem to properly configure it (I don't know much about network) and if someone for example starts a download the internet almost goes down, it goes to very low speeds, something that doesn't happen with CakeQoS, but when I look at CakeQoS I see "Drops: 56,869" and "Average Delay: 1.68 ms" (I don't know if it means anything)

(I don't know much about network)

In this case - the simpler configuration the better. I would just try the built-in Cake without any custom scripts.

Wasn't it one of already available QoS options in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for your router?

And what good is this tab if you don't know much about network?

Does CakeQoS run any better than standard settings without this tab?

And what good is this tab if you don't know much about network?

Does CakeQoS run any better than standard settings without this tab?
Is there any problem in having the tab for cakeqos?

I don't know, haven't tried cake without it installed via ssh

Have you noticed any issues with CAKE?

As @Tech9 mentioned, try both and test both while gaming.

If you haven't had any issues with CAKE I would just stay with it.
The issue I have with CAKE is that my ping varies a lot with the current settings though it can be ISP routing issue because my ping is lower if I use a VPN or Exitlag

One example was when play Faceit in a UK server my ping was 40 while friends that live in Portugal and Switzerland had lower ping than me (I'm in Ireland), I decided to enable a VPN and my ping went to 26 (though I think this is a ISP routing issue)

The issue I have with CAKE is that my ping varies a lot with the current settings though it can be ISP routing issue because my ping is lower if I use a VPN or Exitlag

One example was when play Faceit in a UK server my ping was 40 while friends that live in Portugal and Switzerland had lower ping than me (I'm in Ireland), I decided to enable a VPN and my ping went to 26 (though I think this is a ISP routing issue)
The ping numbers you quote - is that from your gaming machine to the gaming server, or from your router to the server?
(Have you tried an IPv6 ping? Is your ISP IPv6 friendly/enabled? are you dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 on your router/network?)

The ping numbers you quote - is that from your gaming machine to the gaming server, or from your router to the server?
(Have you tried an IPv6 ping? Is your ISP IPv6 friendly/enabled? are you dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 on your router/network?)
I assume the ping is from my machine to the game server

IPv6 disabled on my router

Is there any problem in having the tab for cakeqos?

No, but built-in CakeQoS with the default settings works well in most cases.

Perhaps no QoS can fix high latency to remote game server. Too many variables in the equation.

Last edited:

IPv6 disabled on my router
Trust but verify: only way to know for sure what your ping from machine to machine is.
IPv6 - if you have an ISP that supports it on your connection, try enabling it on your router and then see if your experience changes quantitatively and quantifiable. You owe it to yourself to verify if it may potentially be a shorter/faster ping, don't you think? (@Tech9 will also caution you that it means a whole other level of complexity in firewall and port forwarding, but only you can say if the ends justify the means for you)

whole other level of complexity in firewall

It unlocks a whole new level of bugs around QoS in Asuswrt, actually. With IPv6 enabled AdaptiveQoS bugs out quite often and on some models Traditional QoS as well. In case CakeQoS continues to work as expected on this specific model router and firmware - it may become the only available option to test with.

Trust but verify: only way to know for sure what your ping from machine to machine is.
IPv6 - if you have an ISP that supports it on your connection, try enabling it on your router and then see if your experience changes quantitatively and quantifiable. You owe it to yourself to verify if it may potentially be a shorter/faster ping, don't you think? (@Tech9 will also caution you that it means a whole other level of complexity in firewall and port forwarding, but only you can say if the ends justify the means for you)
I successfully enabled IPv6

I noticed when I'm using Exitlag I can see my ping chat and I don't think it should be like this, I have constant ping spikes.

London07 - Protocol: UDP - Highest Ping: 108 ms
Amsterdam35 - Protocol : UDP6 Highest Ping: 117 ms

They randomly go to 10ms Jitter and right back down, I don't know if this is because of Cake or not

1711386622138.png

IPv6 by itself won't give you any latency improvements. Depending on what routing you have upstream at ISP and up level all the way to the responding server - may make it even worse. You never know what part of the network still runs 6in4 in 2024, for example. Many ISPs still don't support IPv6 in 2024.

Many ISPs still don't support IPv6 in 2024.
I'm of the impression that's much less the case in Europe/Scandinavia

I'm not familiar with what's available in Ireland. Enabling IPv6 though rarely makes any difference in speed and latency.