What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS for Gaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not familiar with what's available in Ireland. Enabling IPv6 though rarely makes any difference in speed and latency.
I can’t wait for the day you start disclaiming your replies with “…in my experience.”
In the meantime, I’m going to keep encouraging people to take a closer look at it on their own if it’s available to them, so that perhaps they’ll be intrigued enough to look deeper into the details on their own, to form their own opinions/conclusions.

What you perhaps don't know is that IPv6 enabled on Asus routers breaks some of the functionality in firmware options. In particular the most popular QoS option - AdaptiveQoS. Tested on recent firmware versions and 3x different model routers. It also often breaks Asus DDNS. It also creates IPv6 leaks when using VPN. Keep encouraging people with your experience on an EoL router and 50/10 ISP connection. You can't even see some of the issues. I'll keep discourage them when IPv6 is not needed.

Remember I eat Mandalorians for breakfast? 🤭

Last edited:
Is that right? What was the test scenario?

Unfortunately. Easy test scenario - manual up/down, AdaptiveQoS, IPv6 Native, speed test. The upload limit is not applied, goes full speed. Tested on last few RT-AX86U firmware versions, then I've got RT-AX88U and RT-AX58U to test. Same thing on all routers with respective Asuswrt version. I don't have Pro router to test with. This bug was there in 386 firmware and migrated to 388. IPv6 disabled - starts working as expected. I reported it in few RT-AX86U release threads. Some versions had AdaptiveQoS broken, others Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter. I don't know what causes it. It was one of my items on the list to check.

Last edited:
VDSL 40mbps download / 15mbps upload

Change your WAN Packet Overhead to PPPoE VDSL or VDSL2 PPPoE depending on your connection type and you should be good to go with Cake.

What you perhaps don't know is that IPv6 enabled on Asus routers breaks some of the functionality in firmware options. In particular the most popular QoS option - AdaptiveQoS. Tested on recent firmware versions and 3x different model routers. It also often breaks Asus DDNS. It also creates IPv6 leaks when using VPN. Keep encouraging people with your experience on an EoL router and 50/10 ISP connection. You can't even see some of the issues. I'll keep discourage them when IPv6 is not needed.

Remember I eat Mandalorians for breakfast? 🤭
(What about CakeQoS?)
Not everyone here or in the wild uses any or all of those.

(your colonoscopies must be interesting for your doctors)

Unfortunately. Easy test scenario - manual up/down, AdaptiveQoS, IPv6 Native, speed test. The upload limit is not applied, goes full speed. Tested on last few RT-AX86U firmware versions, then I've got RT-AX88U and RT-AX58U to test. Same thing on all routers with respective Asuswrt version. I don't have Pro router to test with. This bug was there in 386 firmware and migrated to 388. IPv6 disabled - starts working as expected. I reported it in few RT-AX86U release threads. Some versions had AdaptiveQoS broken, others Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter. I don't know what causes it. It was one of my items on the list to check.
IIRC, @dave14305 quarterbacked if not created Adaptive QoS on our routers, so I'll wager them are fighting words to him.
I'll also wager that if he can, he will fix it within 7 days.

What about CakeQoS?

The closest hardware I have available is RT-AX58U. I can test CakeQoS* for you with the latest available firmware in both IPv6 Native and Passthrough configurations. I can guarantee you I'll find something off with IPv6 enabled. I know it's frustrating, but Asus always fixes something and breaks something else. In recent past Passthrough mode was not recognized at all in WebUI, we had firewall bug potentially exposing IPv6 connected devices in Native, we had DDNS not working, almost always one of the QoS options is broken in Native, etc. I don't expect QoS to work properly in Passthrough when IPv6 network is in fact driven by the upstream router, but broken in Native is a firmware bug. This is not IPv4 vs IPv6 conversation. This is what happens with IPv6 enabled on a specific device. If you ask me - Asuswrt has to be rewritten from ground up and simplified. Right now it's approaching hard to control mix of accumulated over years code and I guess very few people actually know what's going on there.

* - you can test CakeQoS yourself on your router and firmware. With your IPv6 Native enabled set manual down/up to 20/2 and do a speed test. If you see something above - it's broken. Disable IPv6, reboot and test again. Most of the time it fixes it, if found broken. What I found - on different firmware versions different type of QoS has issues with IPv6 enabled. After you upgrade the firmware better do the test above to make sure your QoS option is still working as expected.

Not everyone here or in the wild uses any or all of those.

The reason I said IPv6 may limit QoS choices. Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter are usable up to the CPU packet processing capabilities. AdaptiveQoS is a popular choice when ISP speed is >300Mbps. CakeQoS has the same limitation as Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter - incompatible with NAT acceleration.

I’m confuzzling this with FlexQoS.
Even in that case, the heavy lifting and creativity was from @FreshJR back in the day. I only tweaked his original work after he disappeared. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but my role was minor in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not familiar with what's available in Ireland. Enabling IPv6 though rarely makes any difference in speed and latency.

It doesn't hurt to try - IPv6 can have better peering upstream for more efficient routing - but most gaming is still on IPv4 as the network stack is easier to work with for multi-player gaming...

Perhaps no QoS can fix high latency to remote game server. Too many variables in the equation.

QoS is designed to shed packet to keep the flows at an even keel...

UDP is less tolerant of packet loss, so QoS can impact games that are heavily dependent on UDP.

I suggest playing it by ear - QoS vs. Flow Acceleration - any fast-path solution as a requirement, cannot drop packets...