What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey!

How would I go about including docsis and ack-filter the at the same time?

When I do cake-qos settings optionsup docsis ack-filter, it only applies the docsis and not the ack-filter. If I do one at a time, it removes any previous settings.
I'm not sure I understand, once you ssh (cake-qos), click option 4 (change cake settings) and go into the additional options 4 (Extra download speed), type docsis. Hit enter. Now click on 5 (extra upload options) and type: docsis ack-filter , hit enter. Restart cake.

Great thread. I'm trying to figure out the best settings for my scenario as well.

1614357653432.png

I have to double NAT and the Telmex is VDSL 50/20. I took 90% of the averages that I get from spdMerlin (47/16.5 -> 42/15) for my DL/UL speeds in Cake. I'm using diffserv4 as the queue priority.

When I switch to the RT-AC86U I'm able to significantly drop the uploading side with these settings, but everything I do seems to increase the download bufferbloat.

EDIT: I just tried "pppoe-ptm ether-vlan ether-vlan lan" on download and "pppoe-ptm ether-vlan" on upload and finally got a bufferbloat score of A.
1614359122708.png

EDIT 2: Wow, I just got an A+ by following this guide.
1614360473476.png

Last edited:
I think I'll stick with these settings for some time.

I want to explain what I think is happening, and hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me will either confirm or correct me.

• pppoe-ptm - That's because Telmex is a PPPoE VDSL connection and I'm in router mode, rather than bridged. If I was bridged, I would use bridged-ptm.
  • ether-vlan - That's because I know the Telmex router is using a VLAN for Internet traffic.
  • dual-dsthost - I use this on Extra Download Options because of this quote in the link above: "In fact what I do is force cake to only worry about internal fairness. In other words I care that my internal machines get a fair share of the traffic irrespective of number of flows each machine has, but I don't care if external machines are unbalanced (eg. google vs netflix) "
  • lan - I use this on Extra Download Options because I'm double NATed so this should tell the WAN connection that it is connected to a pure Ethernet connection. This reduces the RTT to the Telmex router. I wouldn't use this if I was in bridge mode.
  • mpu 72 - Extra Upload Options: I honestly have no idea why they picked this number, I used it based on the guide but I don't understand it and I do like my results.
  • dual-srchost - I use this on Extra Upload Options for the same reason as dual-dsthost above.

Well done. Any ideas on how to fix the load balancing in a single client if one application has multiples flows like a bittorrent client? I haven't found a good solution yet.

Well done. Any ideas on how to fix the load balancing in a single client if one application has multiples flows like a bittorrent client? I haven't found a good solution yet.
The "triple-isolate" setting (which is default) should take care of that to a degree automatically.
Though I don't know there is much to be done about those sorts of bulk multi-flow traffic sources short of DSCP identification and marking, which is something that hasn't been tackled yet.

in a single client if one application has multiples flows like a bittorrent client?
This has to be solved through cake's diffserv mode and dscp tagging.

The iptables' --set-dscpmark function and tc's ctinfo action that I'm using in openwrt are not supported in asuswrt.
A possible way in asuswrt is to force the packet into diffserv's tin using skbedit.

Here are examples of diffserv4...

Code:
MAJOR=$(tc qdisc show dev $DEV | head -1 | awk'{print $3}')
tc filter add dev $DEV parent $MAJOR protocol ip prio 30 basic match 'ipset(gdrive src)' action skbedit priority ${MAJOR}1
tc filter add dev $DEV parent $MAJOR protocol ip prio 20 u32 match ip sport 443 0xffff action skbedit priority ${MAJOR}4

The example above puts the ipset's gdrive ip list into bulk tin and sends data from port 443 to the voice tin. However, the current merlin firmware has the skbedit feature turned off, so it is recommended to suggest to @RMerlin
Code:
# CONFIG_NET_ACT_SKBEDIT is not set
# CONFIG_NET_EMATCH is not set

If the function is activated in the next beta version, fix the port in the torrent client and add the following rule. Then torrent data can be sent to bulk tin.

Code:
tc filter add dev $DEV parent $MAJOR protocol ip prio 20 u32 match ip dport (torrent port) 0xffff action skbedit priority ${MAJOR}1

Last edited:
The example above puts the ipset's gdrive ip list into bulk tin and sends data from port 443 to the voice tin. However, the current merlin firmware has the skbedit feature turned off, so it is recommended to suggest to @RMerlin
So since Cake is moving into the main firmware now, RMerlin has commented on the iptables --set-dscp functionality.

No mention of tc and skbedit though. Is all that still required? Has RMerlin forgotten something?

No mention of tc and skbedit though. Is all that still required? Has RMerlin forgotten something?

I don't think he is. I'm pretty sure him, and the guys who helped make Cake possible on certain asus routers, are working on this together a bit. Not to say everything will be there on day one, as it might not be. However I'm sure RMerlin will work on this, to make it work just as good, as it originally has.

The big thing I like, is it will be built into the firmware now, so no need for a USB drive, to install it to.