What's new

CakeQoS Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up CakeQoS and it's asking for "extra download options" and "extra upload options."

I have no idea what these mean, so any help would be appreciated. Not sure what to put for them.

you'll want to read the manual. I've posted links, but your browser's search engine knows better than I what is most appropriate for you to read/absorb

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up CakeQoS and it's asking for "extra download options" and "extra upload options."

I have no idea what these mean, so any help would be appreciated. Not sure what to put for them.
1st post has links to the info you're looking for, plus you'll find examples inside the same thread on what people were using depending on their ISP:

1st post has links to the info you're looking for, plus you'll find examples inside the same thread on what people were using depending on their ISP:

Sorry, which post are you referencing to? I'm unable to find anything regarding extra download and upload options.

Sorry, which post are you referencing to? I'm unable to find anything regarding extra download and upload options.
In the first post, there's a link to cake's man page: https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS

What you would like to do is find your connection type on that page and enter the exact keyword(s) in cake-qos extra download and/or upload options area.

For example, I have a DOCSIS cable connection, and in the cake-qos I've typed "docsis" so it set the relevant values for docsis in the cake settings (overhead 18 mpu 64 noatm)

In the first post, there's a link to cake's man page: https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS

What you would like to do is find your connection type on that page and enter the exact keyword(s) in cake-qos extra download and/or upload options area.

For example, I have a DOCSIS cable connection, and in the cake-qos I've typed "docsis" so it set the relevant values for docsis in the cake settings (overhead 18 mpu 64 noatm)
Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what I have. I know my ISP Gateway is DOCSIS 3.1

We have fibre to the network, which then connects to a coax cable and into the house. Is this considered DOCSIS?

I'm also connected via ethernet, so not sure which one I should be using.

If your cable modem is Docsis 3.1 you might have a connection too fast to benefit from what Cake does. What are your speeds?

If your cable modem is Docsis 3.1 you might have a connection too fast to benefit from what Cake does. What are your speeds?
My speeds are 500 up and 20 down. I'm currently double nat though. To get around that, I logged into my gateway and put the gaming router into DMZ. From the Gaming router, I opened whatever ports I needed for gaming.

I'm unable to put my modem into bridge mode with the current set up I have. The only things connected to my gaming router is my PS4 and Gaming PC. With CakeQoS, I'm, consistently receiving an A-A+ on bufferbloat.

I'm absolutely willing to sacrifice speeds for me if it means for a better ping. Before all this, I had major ping spikes. With CakeQoS today, I've had none.