What's new

Can I connect the modem to AiMesh Node instead of AiMesh Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shah Saad

Occasional Visitor
I recently purchased two AC86U routers and got them both working as AiMesh network. One router is acting as a AiMesh Router while the other is acting as AiMesh node. Both are connected to each other with a cable as backhaul. My modem is obviously connected to the AiMesh Router, but the problem with AiMesh is that it doesn't support the Guest Network at the nodes (yet). My main router is near my phone line and modem and we don't have any phone jack or line anywhere else so the guest network signals are weak in the other rooms. I want to know that can I have these two routers and the modem at the same place where they are currently at, but interchange their roles? i.e. Having the AiMesh Router (with which my modem is connected) act as a node while the present Node act as a main router? The location of the node is kind of at the centre of the house.

Change router and node (so you dont need to configure them again) and connect modem directly to the other room where now router will be.
You only need a second LAN cable between router and modem (beside node).

Or forget Aimesh and configure node as AP, then you can setup guest but it will have full access to your intranet (on router) too.

Change router and node (so you dont need to configure them again) and connect modem directly to the other room where now router will be.
You only need a second LAN cable between router and modem (beside node).

Or forget Aimesh and configure node as AP, then you can setup guest but it will have full access to your intranet (on router) too.
Okay, got it. Luckily I had two cables running to the other room where the node is. Thanks.

Okay, got it. Luckily I had two cables running to the other room where the node is. Thanks.

That is lucky! :) One for the WAN link and one for the wired backhaul. I used a 100' Ethernet WAN link between router and modem once... worked fine.

OE

Mine is 60ft so I guess it will work just fine then :)

To be sure after setup, confirm the WAN link rate in the router GUI under Status. I suppose it's possible for a longer Ethernet cable run to fall back from 1 Gbps to 100 Mbps if the cable/interconnects are marginal.

OE

To be sure after setup, confirm the WAN link rate in the router GUI under Status. I suppose it's possible for a longer Ethernet cable run to fall back from 1 Gbps to 100 Mbps if the cable/interconnects are marginal.

OE
That's weirdo_O I will report back after setting it up on the weekend.

That's weirdo_O I will report back after setting it up on the weekend.

Just a tip for confirming the expected WAN link rate, in case you do not know the integrity of the long run of room-to-room cabling. What would be weird is if it is Cat3 telephone cable, nicked up in a few places, and with the ends untwisted and barely connected to the backside of wall plates...

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!