What's new

Can I connect with VLAN 101?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stardust

Regular Contributor
Hey all.

I got fiber internet and are not getting enough info to connect my AX86U directly to to fiber box, but has to use ISP router as a bridge :(

I have checked other ISP's, and one of those write that I have top use VLAN 101.

1: Can I do that?
2: If yes - how and where to make these settings?

Regards

stardust

So in some countries, if you have FTTP fitted you want to use your own router to connect to the (G)PON/ONT/Whatever you need to express a VLAN ID on the WAN port of the router. If you connect your router to a LAN port of the ISP router (double nat) you would not need to do this, the ISP router does the work for you (but there can be other issues).

So here in the UK if you were on VDSL2 (FTTC) you would indeed be using VLAN 101. But if you have that fibre to the property (FTTP) the VLAN ID is different. So for here if I were to stick with Vodafone UK that VLAN ID would be 911! In addition to that, you will probably need to get your connection username and password from your ISP.

Last edited:
Thank you both for info, I will consider what to do next :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!