What's new

Can i use a Asus RT-AC86Uin AP mode with the TP-Link ER7206 router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bridges1

Occasional Visitor
I plan on getting the TP link APs ....... just want to test this router before buying the TPLink APs. I have not purchased the ER7206 router yet .... just want advice before purchase.

I plan on getting the TP link APs ....... just want to test this router before buying the TPLink APs. I have not purchased the ER7206 router yet .... just want advice before purchase.

You can use any AP with any router. AP is essentially just a switch.

Guest wireless isolation won't work on the AP unless you reconfigure it using a script, but otherwise it will work fine. You can do hardwired (AP Mode) or wireless (repeater mode). Repeater will cut your throughput in half though.

You can, but if you want Guest Network you have to use Asuswrt-Merlin firmware with this custom script:

I wouldn't recommend purchasing RT-AC86U in 2023. This router is 2017 model, has hardware issues history, unresolved software bug potentially affecting some custom scripts, it won't be updated to 388 base firmware. Getting one for AP purpose - definitely not. No native VLAN support in firmware.

If you want ER7206 router, get the matching TL-SG2210MP switch, OC200 Omada Controller, matching Omada PoE powered APs.

Last edited:
#1 On the TL-SG2210MP switch can the PoE+ be turned off?
#2 I want to try out the ER7206 router before purchasing router and switches.
#3 I have a 500 mb internet connection can the ER7206 handle that ok?

1) PoE is automatic, the switch won't send power non-PoE device
2) without Omada controller the features will be limited, read specifications
3) It can do Gigabit routing, but don't expect Gigabit VPN

Can the TP ER7206 router handle 50 devices - 10 ip cams on blue Iris, 4 streaming devices, laptops, desktops, Ipads, music server, 5 smart phones, and several other IOT devices ?

You clearly have no idea what do you need. Who told you you need a business class router? Cheap home router for $100 can handle 50 devices. Your IP cameras are LAN (internal, local) traffic, not WAN (external, Internet). Streaming on 4 devices even all HD fits in 100Mbps. IoTs generate virtually no traffic. Smartphones/tablets need nothing above 100Mbps as well. This business router can support 500 devices. Why do you need it? Get a home router.

Forget about my Omada hardware recommendation in post #3. It's too expensive for your needs. Not needed unless you plan significant expansion of your network, plan IP cameras with PoE on separate network, need to cover large area with multiple wireless clients, etc. This is what it is good for.

Last edited:
Something like this will handle all your devices easily, no-frills easy button solution:

You may need an extra switch for your cameras and desktops in case they are wired.

My home router is a Asus RT-AC86U with problems ....the client list is never accurate the 2.4 wifi is out. I have tried Linksys, Netgear and others all have different problems. after a year or 2. I was thinking all the traffic to router was overworking it. Omada is not that expensive considering how many Routers and APs I have had to replace. Just tired of cheap .

I need 4 APs to cover everything from basement to 3rd floor and outside to the Shop 150 ft away.

The Asus Asus RT-AC86U could handle it but I had to replace 3 of them not to mention other brands to. I have not found a home router that would last over 2 yrs.
Is the Omada a good Router that will hold up?

Understood. Business class routers will work much longer for sure, but don't expect options like Parental Controls or 3rd party components like TrendMicro AiProtection. If your cameras are not wired and PoE - get the router, the switch above and something like EAP610/620 APs (or whatever you think is better). They are compact size and AX1800 class. This way you'll have up to current standards Wi-Fi 6 wireless network good enough for years. You need OC200 Omada controller as well for complete system (Software Controller is free if you have something to run it on, Windows/Linux). Most Omada APs offer wireless mesh option for places you have no Ethernet (Omada Controller needed). Ceiling, wall plate, outdoor options available.

TP-Link Omada SDN features:

Omada SDN Controller Demo:

The Asus Asus RT-AC86U could handle it but I had to replace 3 of them not to mention other brands to. I have not found a home router that would last over 2 yrs.
Is the Omada a good Router that will hold up?

@Tech9 Thanks for the help. I ordered the TP ER7206 router and one AP last night. I am going to order a controller, switch and the rest of the APs if the router works out. Thanks again.