What's new

Can I use the serial console? How?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Atais

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am using the newest Merlin 48_3 on my N66U Router.
Together with Huawei e3272 non hilink modem.

Since there is no place in webui I can get some information about 4G connection I searched and tried on my computer, and when connected by serial connection to the modem, it constantly gives you the information about the quality of the connection.

I know there is console build in
from here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...linux-2.6.36/Documentation/serial-console.txt

But i do not understand how to identify the device I want to connect to and what actually I should do. Anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks!

Hello,

I am using the newest Merlin 48_3 on my N66U Router.
Together with Huawei e3272 non hilink modem.

Since there is no place in webui I can get some information about 4G connection I searched and tried on my computer, and when connected by serial connection to the modem, it constantly gives you the information about the quality of the connection.

I know there is console build in
from here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...linux-2.6.36/Documentation/serial-console.txt

But i do not understand how to identify the device I want to connect to and what actually I should do. Anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks!

That documentation is for the Linux kernel in general, it's not specifically for the router. There's no serial port on the router to access the modem's.

perhaps this is what you want ??
@commandprompt in telnet or ssh
comgt -d /dev/ttyUSB1 info

((could perhaps be USBn))

edit try without info for signalquality

Last edited:
Hello, ok i found a source of my problem with the modem.

So if you read the 1st post, i have n66u and huawei e3272 non hilink. they connect just fine, but I need the modem to work in LTE (4G) mode only.
The way to force it is to use a proper AT command:
AT^SYSCFGEX="03",3fffffff,2,4,7fffffffffffffff,,
important is 03 as it stands for 4G connection only.

It works just fine on my Macbook and the connection is stable and good.
But when I plug it to the router, during connection this variable is being reseted to the default "00" and the modem connects in 3G mode :/

After you connect to the Internet with modem you can no longer communicate with it with AT commands.

I did not yet try sending any AT commands when modem is already in Asus Router, but if you unplug it, reset the value and replug to router, it again resets the value :p.
Damn, any way around this?

//
I have just tested
DDWRT 12-11-2014-r25628 build and
Tomato tomato-K26USB-1.28 123 by Shibby

and they both keep this variable untouch. For the moment I will switch to Tomato, but I would gladly see this thing corrected in Merlin as well :). In DD WRT there is a possibility to choose the connection form, LTE, 3G, etc... maybe its possible here too.

Last edited: