What's new

Can MoCA be used behind a wired router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chronodm

New Around Here
We have Comcast cable internet, and we want to connect two devices: one WiFi router, and one PC via a wired connection. We have these all set up in the same room and it basically works:

Code:
wall --coax--> cable modem --cat5--> (WAN) wifi router (LAN) --cat5--> PC

Unfortunately, though, the wifi signal doesn't reach to the back of the house. We do have another cable outlet at that end, though, so we're contemplating using MoCA to run ethernet over the cable setup. We got a two-adaptor MoCA kit and, following the instructions and some internet forum advice, set it up as follows:

Code:
wall #1 --coax--> splitter --coax--> cable modem <-------
                          ^                             |
                          |                            cat5
                          |                             |
                          ---coax--- MoCA adaptor #1 <---

(This is already confusing to somebody who's only used to twisted-pair, as both the WAN connection to the cable modem and the LAN connection from the MoCA adaptor are apparently supposed to travel over the same coax cable, but I guess that's the magic of RF.)

Theoretically, in the other room we would then set up:

Code:
wall #2 --coax--> MoCA adaptor #2 --cat5--> wifi router

However, before getting this far, we realized there was a problem: neither the cable modem nor MoCA adaptor #1 have a free Ethernet port, so there's no place to plug in the wired PC.

Now, there is a third cable outlet elsewhere in the house, so theoretically we could get a third MoCA adaptor and plug both it and the cable modem into that outlet, while using MoCA adaptor #1 just to hook up the PC. However, that's another $80-$100 down the drain plus it seems stupid.

On the other hand, I might have a wired router at the bottom of a box somewhere, in which case this seems like it might work, in theory:

Code:
wall #1 --coax--> splitter --coax--> cable modem <------
                          ^                            |
                          |                           cat5
                          |                            |
                          |                          (WAN)
                          |                       wired router
                          |                          (LAN) --cat5--> PC
                          |                           cat5
                          ---coax--- MoCA adaptor #1 <--

Should this work? Is the MoCA adaptor smart enough to just route LAN traffic? Am I likely to run into trouble with Comcast expecting the router to have a certain MAC address, or any of that sort of nonsense? If I'd be better off just running 50' of cat5 under the floorboards, I'd rather find that out before I go any farther down the MoCA route.

Thanks,
David

Though I didn't pore over the diagrams...
Yes, MoCA has nothing really to do with WiFi. It is a replacement for a segment of cat5 cable. It's used where you just can't run cat5 and you prefer not to use HomePlug et al for IP over power wiring.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!