What's new

Can we load different versions of wireless drivers on boot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yota

Very Senior Member
I'd like to do some testing against wireless drivers, but reflashing the firmware might be a bit of a hassle.

Is it possible to load a different version of the wireless driver module on system boot?

If possible, where are the driver binaries on Github?

And what command to use to load it properly?

I am using RT-AC86U, I see this command in my system, is it the wireless driver module?
/rom/etc/init.d/bcm-base-drivers.sh
Code:
# WLAN
insmod /lib/modules/4.1.27/extra/wfd.ko

Driver is part of the SDK, so there's no way to tell if a different version can be loaded or not without updating the rest of the SDK at the same time.

The driver will depend on the platform. Older platform had it in a wl.ko kernel module, newer platform has a rtecdc.bin firmware image loaded at boot time into the SOC's memory.

Driver is part of the SDK, so there's no way to tell if a different version can be loaded or not without updating the rest of the SDK at the same time.

The driver will depend on the platform. Older platform had it in a wl.ko kernel module, newer platform has a rtecdc.bin firmware image loaded at boot time into the SOC's memory.
Thank you, but it seems that RT-AC86U is a special case, it doesn't have the old ARMv7's wl.ko file, nor the rtecdc.bin you said. I don't know how to find the wireless driver file for RT-AC86U.

Do you know the file name of the wireless driver file of RT-AC86U? And I figured, that kernel module must have been loaded very early, so the /jffs script might be too late for this use case, right?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Might be built into dhd.ko possibly (can't check at the moment).

Might be built into dhd.ko possibly (can't check at the moment).
That looks like it, thanks a lot. It's just that the module might not be able to be replaced by the script because I guess it's loaded prematurely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!