What's new

Cannot ping gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

imaginarynumber

New Around Here
Hi all.

My first post here, so if I am posting in the wrong section, please accept my apologies...

A friend of mine manages my local pub (west London, UK).

The ISP cable copper connection was always a tad flaky.

He eventually opted to install Starlink.

In the 6 years that I have drank (drunk?) here on a (pretty much daily basis) his router had only ever once asked me for the WiFi password. It is DrayTek Vigour, not sure of the model number.

About 4 days after the Starlink antenna was fitted on the roof of the building, I was in the pub working on my laptop. I went for a pee, by the time I returned, my laptop asked me to re-enter the wifi password. It did the same to his phone's wifi half an hour later.

I am not sure that the wifi password and new satellite ISP are directly related though.

I used cmd.exe to find the wifi gateway address. I then pinged the gateway address, all 4 packets timed out.

My experience of wifi routers is limited to domestic rather than commercial units.

I then decided to tracert Google.com

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [142.250.178.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 15 ms 19 ms 11 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 77 ms * * 87-194-120-29.bethere.co.uk [87.194.120.29]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 50 ms 32 ms 54 ms 216.239.48.217
12 51 ms 33 ms 38 ms 142.250.215.127
13 45 ms 38 ms 94 ms lhr48s27-in-f14.1e100.net [142.250.178.14]

Trace complete.

192.168.1.1 is the gateway reported by my laptop, the one that I cannot PING.

Are commercial grade routers set up to decline internal PINGs?

Oh, and as an aside, step number 9 seems to be the telco O2, does Starlink charge £70 to piggy back on local 5G networks?

Starlink charge £70 to piggy back on local 5G networks?
No, that's just the route it chose to get to Google.

Icmp or other responses might be blocked on the ISP side though the lan usually isn't. However if there's a router behind the starlink it might not respond. It depends on how everything is setup.

As to the psk it might be a timeout to purge older sessions to make room for new devices to connect. Though as long as they're connected they should auto renew the session when the timer hits 50% of the time.

I use a 5g FWA setup but, I can ping the gateway even though I have a router on a different subnet. Perhaps the router connected to the SL box is using the same subnet and causing a a conflict.

Hi all.

My first post here, so if I am posting in the wrong section, please accept my apologies...

A friend of mine manages my local pub (west London, UK).

The ISP cable copper connection was always a tad flaky.

He eventually opted to install Starlink.

In the 6 years that I have drank (drunk?) here on a (pretty much daily basis) his router had only ever once asked me for the WiFi password. It is DrayTek Vigour, not sure of the model number.

About 4 days after the Starlink antenna was fitted on the roof of the building, I was in the pub working on my laptop. I went for a pee, by the time I returned, my laptop asked me to re-enter the wifi password. It did the same to his phone's wifi half an hour later.

I am not sure that the wifi password and new satellite ISP are directly related though.

I used cmd.exe to find the wifi gateway address. I then pinged the gateway address, all 4 packets timed out.

My experience of wifi routers is limited to domestic rather than commercial units.

I then decided to tracert Google.com

192.168.1.1 is the gateway reported by my laptop, the one that I cannot PING.

Are commercial grade routers set up to decline internal PINGs?

Oh, and as an aside, step number 9 seems to be the telco O2, does Starlink charge £70 to piggy back on local 5G networks?

Starlink usually comes with it's own wifi access point and you have to buy a wired adapter for it if you want to plug in your own router (from what I hear). If he still has his own router they may be using the same SSID and subnet causing stuff to get confused. How is everything connected up?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!