What's new

Cannot update Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So you prefer a private company to spy on you and make you pay for it? All the traffic through VPN is looking for trouble. More and more sites detect public VPN servers and refuse access. Your Internet speed will be reduced, your latency will be increased. You are limiting yourself. What do you have to hide from your government so much? Australia is not a 3rd world country, as far as I know.
This is a very excellent question and I'm glad you asked. As it turns out police are rounding up people who peacefully protest and organise peaceful protests in opposition to our Marxist government.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by private companies but if you mean using apple, google or any other tech giant such as these I never do.

Australia is first world but very much a highly controlled and monitored society now. Eyes are everywhere.

As far as the VPN bringing more attention to our activities, that ridiculous. The servers we use on this network are owned and not rented. Further to speeds, there has not been any drop in speed. I have not found any websites blocked.

Using the Tor network which I use frequently does however cause blockage and access issues

Plus all the sites the governmemt blocks are now unblocked.

They're unblocked because now they know where to find you and your online activities. :(

You know they can run their own Tor servers, right? So you can log right in.

You have your reasons, that’s fine. Just keep in mind Mullvad VPN is registered in Sweden, one of so called “Fourteen eyes” agreement countries. Privacy and security- maybe, best effort. Talking about the hardware you have - it may not be able to do >50Mbps on OpenVPN. I don’t know how fast your wireless broadband connection is.

They're unblocked because now they know where to find you and your online activities. :(

You know they can run their own Tor servers, right? So you can log right in.
Can you explain how "they" can find me. ?

They are unblocked because I'm connecting from a free country without government censorship.

Yes of course they can considering the Tor network was heavily influenced by military.

The likelihood the government of Australia is using the Tor network is a risk I'm willing to take. Considering I customise the hopping and switching I set on my routing settings. I'm never in one place for more that 5 minutes.

Anyways the idea of a VPN in principle is not perfect, they why our business recommends using your own virtual server. Which is easy to setup and the most secure as its completely decentralised and in your control.

Okay, believe what is convenient.

But the 'how' has already been stated.

Okay, believe what is convenient.

But the 'how' has already been stated.

No i beleive the truth. So logic is, your saying that "they" know where to find me because I'm using a VPN. That doesn't make sense. Maybe I missed something

Yes, I believe you have (missed something).

I wish you luck.

I know one thing - if you’re online, someone knows what you are doing. If you do something illegal in your country, a commercial VPN in another country, member of the same surveillance agreement, may not help you much.

I know one thing - if you’re online, someone knows what you are doing. If you do something illegal in your country, a commercial VPN in another country, member of the same surveillance agreement, may not help you much.
That's correct, VPN technology has many limitations as you still have to trust the provider which is not ideal. For the record I'm not doing anything illegal though, I simply want more security.

I do know cases where vpns have been hacked, like nordvpn. And I do know cases where vpns have been asked to release data and logs from government.

That's why I use vpns like calyxos, (and the operating system I'm writing to you on

The man who founded the VPN and the android ROM was targeted by the FBI and asked to release data. He refused and did not comply, then he sued the FBI and won.

It took him 11 years but he won and never released any data.

You have to trust someone friend...but you need to research who can trust.

Another trustworthy provider of network services is tutanota, who has a strong record of keeping user data secure.

Although in many ways your right, we can't stay perfectly hidden. Due to the nature of the way the internet works its very difficult.

It seems people here have no interest in vpns or staying private online, I may be wrong. So I guess thanks for the interesting discussion..

After researching vpns intensively for many months I do trust only a couple out there and I think you are right doing illegal activity is first wrong (im not breaking any laws for the record) and a VPN won't protect from that anyways. Even TOR isn't perfect.

A VPN is good for certain applications and does increase security.

Sorry, but a VPN does not increase security. If you're not controlling both endpoints.

You are very trustful of the promises made, but still missing the obvious pitfalls of their claims.

For certain applications, yes, it may be good, for some. For security? Never.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!