What's new

Can't add AiMesh Satellite Node..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fettkeewl

Occasional Visitor
Hi all!

I'm having issues adding a AiMesh node (without resorting to factory resetting my main router).

Devices:
- ASUS AC-2900(AC-86U) [Main Router]
- ASUS ZenWiFi AX Mini (XD4R) [satellite node]
- ASUS ZenWiFi AX Mini (XD4N) [satellite node]

What has happend is that since my last factory reset of my main router, I've successfully added both my zenwifi devices as aimesh nodes.
One day they stopped working, they could not reconnect to my main router.
Now I've managed to re-add the XD4R Zenwifi but I can't get the XD4N to pair up no matter how many
times I restore it.

* I restore the XD4N
* I add it via AC2900 GUI
* It gets added "visually"
* It never appears as a Aimesh Node
* It appears as connected to my router
* The led blinks blue constatly, never going white as in "connected".

What could I try besides a factory reset? (it's tedious, I know it works but I have a lots of personal settings to do afterwards so I'd rather not)

Hi all!

I'm having issues adding a AiMesh node (without resorting to factory resetting my main router).

Devices:
- ASUS AC-2900(AC-86U) [Main Router]
- ASUS ZenWiFi AX Mini (XD4R) [satellite node]
- ASUS ZenWiFi AX Mini (XD4N) [satellite node]

What has happend is that since my last factory reset of my main router, I've successfully added both my zenwifi devices as aimesh nodes.
One day they stopped working, they could not reconnect to my main router.
Now I've managed to re-add the XD4R Zenwifi but I can't get the XD4N to pair up no matter how many
times I restore it.

* I restore the XD4N
* I add it via AC2900 GUI
* It gets added "visually"
* It never appears as a Aimesh Node
* It appears as connected to my router
* The led blinks blue constatly, never going white as in "connected".

What could I try besides a factory reset? (it's tedious, I know it works but I have a lots of personal settings to do afterwards so I'd rather not)

Maybe it's time to reset the AC86U firmware and recommission the network, since you can't get it built as it is. Then work it from there.

Get all nodes working first for a few days before you layer on your 'personal settings'.

OE

Maybe it's time to reset the AC86U firmware and recommission the network, since you can't get it built as it is. Then work it from there.

Get all nodes working first for a few days before you layer on your 'personal settings'.

OE
It's been like 3 weeks since I did that. It can't be that borked.. And that's the option I was trying to avoid.

Can't find anything online or in the router itself that would let me know why this is misbehaving.

t's been like 3 weeks since I did that. It can't be that borked.. And that's the option I was trying to avoid.

The reset advice sort of depends on how much the firmware has changed since the last reset. Three weeks is not long but if the router upgraded automatically in that time from significantly older firmware, then a reset may be advisable. The only way to be sure without knowing the state/history of the firmware, is to reset and troubleshoot from there.

OE

The reset advice sort of depends on how much the firmware has changed since the last reset. Three weeks is not long but if the router upgraded automatically in that time from significantly older firmware, then a reset may be advisable. The only way to be sure without knowing the state/history of the firmware, is to reset and troubleshoot from there.

OE
Alright
I'll give it a go again. I can't be without my settings since my home automation server is dependent on them :)

Was thinking of configuring everything expect adding the ai mesh nodes. Make a backup of all settings then add nodes. Perhaps this way I have a restore point should the aimesh stop working again.

Do you think its a viable solution?

Alright
I'll give it a go again. I can't be without my settings since my home automation server is dependent on them :)

Was thinking of configuring everything expect adding the ai mesh nodes. Make a backup of all settings then add nodes. Perhaps this way I have a restore point should the aimesh stop working again.

Do you think its a viable solution?

Save as many configuration files as you want, but I doubt you will need them. Adding/removing nodes is pretty simple... when it works.

Me, I would focus on getting your network built and working before you tweak it to much... first things first.

Are you using current firmware on all routers?

OE

Are you using auto-channel selection? If yes, then it might be possible that the XD4R has access to more channels than the XD4N? If true, then that would explain AC-86U being able to connect to XD4R but not XD4N.

If that's the cause, then manually setting the channel to 36-48 or 145-157 should work.

There's a lot of assumptions, but who knows?

Never mind, their FCC id info (XD4R and XD4N) shows that they both have the same channels.

Last edited:
Me, I would focus on getting your network built and working before you tweak it to much... first things first.
Theres not much to build, everything is setup and wired/configured.
After a reset of my main router I only need to reenter the old SSID/PW and all my connections work.
Anything special you were refering to?

Theres not much to build, everything is setup and wired/configured.
After a reset of my main router I only need to reenter the old SSID/PW and all my connections work.
Anything special you were refering to?

Yeah, I though you could not add a node?

OE