What's new

Cant login to GUI on 2nd router ( will pay for resolution )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

citation10

Occasional Visitor
For some reason I can NOT get to my web GUI on the 2nd router on my network .

Let me tell you whats going on .
I have 1 gig Fiber and a Asus AC 5300 , this feeds a 8 port switch and goes to the TV , printer ect .

My neighbor shares the internet with me , Network cable out of my switch direct to his router . Works great , although his router is DDWRT and the QOS ( bandwidth limiting ) is screwed in that firmware version .

Since I can't limit his speed to the agreement we have I wanted to replace his router with another one , AC 68u , AC 3200 or whatever .

For the life of me once the other router is on my network I can't get to the web GUI .

Internet works , devices connected to it no issue at all .

The friend who setup the DDWRT did it perfectly as I can't even see my neighbors connected devices and so on . All I can see if my neighbors router connected and the bandwidth .

Pls help ,

Connect your PC directly to the new router by Ethernet cable. Press and hold the reset button on the router for 5 seconds. After the router has booted up open your web browser and go to http://router.asus.com/.

I think ive done that 30 times , issues is I can see the web GUI when connected to the router directly , but I can see if from other pc even though its on the same network .

but I can see if from other pc even though its on the same network .
What? Do you mean you can't see it from another PC? If so that's completely expected because the PCs are on different networks, which is what I thought you were trying to achieve.

What kind of switch do you have? Maybe it has VLANs active on some ports?
If NAT is active on 2nd router, as ColinTaylor says, it's to be expected... either put it into AP mode or open access from WAN (i.e. 1st router).

What? Do you mean you can't see it from another PC? If so that's completely expected because the PCs are on different networks, which is what I thought you were trying to achieve.
With is connected and online , I cant access it from my PC unless I am hooked directly to that specific router .

If you want to access the router's admin interface from your primary network you need to enable "Web Access from WAN" on it, and use its "WAN" IP address (which is probably something like 192.168.1.xxx).

If you want to access the router's admin interface from your primary network you need to enable "Web Access from WAN" on it, and use its "WAN" IP address (which is probably something like 192.168.1.xxx).
Tried that .

Here is what I have going on , picture attached .

Attachments

• routers.jpg
    routers.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 150
That's working as expected. As I said, you need to connect to his WAN IP not his LAN IP (which will be 192.168.1.???).

Don't turn off the firewalls.

It will be slow and show as insecure because your browser doesn't have a valid certificate for the router's HTTPS web server.

Just out of curiosity, why the switch in between the two routers?

Hi,

I have used a similar setup in the past, and faced a similar problem, although with a Fritzbox (A) and an ASUS (B), both functioning in router mode: Router A was connected to VDSL on its WAN port, and router B's WAN port was connected to one of A's LAN ports. (Resulting in two subnets, similar to your setup).

Assuming:
AC5300's LAN IP is: 192.168.1.12 (Subnet 1)
AC3200's LAN IP is: 192.168.50.1 (Subnet 2)
AC3200's WAN IP is: 192.168.1.63

My solution, adjusted for your subnets was:

1. Define static route on AC5300: Forward all TCP packets from 192.168.1.1/24 to destination 192.168.50.0/24 through gateway 192.168.1.63
2. Define static route on AC3200: Forward all TCP packets from 192.168.50.1/24 to destination 192.168.1.0/24 through gateway 192.168.50.1

Now, you should be able to approach each router from its own LAN side: i.e. you can enter https://192.168.50.1:8443 from subnet 1 to access AC3200's webui on subnet 2, and vice versa.

I know the solution seems somewhat redundant and counter-intuitive, but I have used it and it works. I suspect there is some hard-coded security feature within the routers' firmware that needs to be explicitly bypassed like this.

If by some chance my solution works, and you are serious about paying, please consider making a donation to the Asuswrt-Merlin project!

Best of luck!

Edit:
1. Bad idea to turn firewalls off, or to expose the WebUI on the WAN side, when there is no need for it. The slow speeds are probably due to routing conflicts. A self-generated certificate should not slow down your connection in this way: A little slowdown can be expected in some cases because of HTTPS' higher network and CPU overhead, but nothing that would make the routers non-responsive.

2. The static routes I mentioned are very broad, since I wanted full interconnection between my two subnets. You can always make them narrower to fit your specific situation of course.

3. My experience is from a few years ago. The underlying routing issue might be solved by now. So you could also try to first directly access 192.168.50.1 from the AC5300 subnet without defining static routes. It might just work as well. If it doesn't, then you can try the static routes.

Last edited: