What's new

CFE bootloader update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
VBox Guest Addon tools need to be installed after you have completed the OS install, otherwise the network, disk I/O, video and mouse pointer will be emulated rather than run native. This makes a huge difference in terms of performance. Under "Devices" there is a menu entry saying "Install Guest Addons" that will mount a virtual CD image under the Guest OS, where you will be able to install the guest tools to optimize your VM performance.

Interesting...next time I use VBox, I'll keep that in mind *smile*. Can't think of any strong reason for doing that at the moment, but you never know. There was a lot more than performance problems, though...you'd have to have seen it to believe it, I couldn't even start to describe what the KDE desktop did *smile*.

Chances are that you need to say:

./cfe_update.sh ./cfe.original ./cfe.new

Since "." (current directory) is not usually in $PATH. You can add it to $PATH, but there are some security implications.

Tried that, still says no such file or directory

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise against doing a CFE upgrade unless you are familiar with basic Linux commands. Just for your own safety, since a failed CFE upgrade will result in an unrecoverable brick.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise against doing a CFE upgrade unless you are familiar with basic Linux commands. Just for your own safety, since a failed CFE upgrade will result in an unrecoverable brick.

I would say the same.

+ for the time beeing there absolutely no benefits from updating the cfe.

No offense taken RMerlin. I don't necessarily plan on flashing the new cfe. I just want to go through the process at least.
This is the way I have learned how to do things, trial and error. If I brick the router, I'll get another.
Going and buying an rt-n66r is not as satisfying as doing this.

Last night I learned how to install ubuntu, ndiswrapper, sudo etc, some other basic Linux stuff. Slowly I'll get it.
Thanks for your patience, all of you.

Same place as you type this: "./cfe_update.sh cfe.original cfe.new"
Instead type this "ls -l" and paste the rusults here

joe@joe-MT3707:~$ ls -l
total 44
drwxr-xr-x 6 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 21:54 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 21:07 Downloads
-rw-r--r-- 1 joe joe 8445 Oct 17 13:02 examples.desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Videos

joe@joe-MT3707:~$ ls -l
total 44
drwxr-xr-x 6 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 21:54 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 21:07 Downloads
-rw-r--r-- 1 joe joe 8445 Oct 17 13:02 examples.desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 4096 Oct 17 13:11 Videos

You are not in the directory (folder) where you put your files, that is why you keep getting the "no such file or directory"

EDIT: You are in your home-directory, you need to navigate to the directory where you put your files and then execute the command.

Last edited:
Thanks, got the new cfe, its about half the size of original, 133.4kb, ryzhov_al said it must be 132kb.

joe@joe-MT3707:~$ ./cfe_update.sh cfe.original cfe.new
[1/4] Dumping default NVRAM settings from your CFE...
nvram start 0x400
nvram end 0x13d8
nvram len 4036
nvram crc 0xf1
nvram ver 0x01
[2/4] Modifying NVRAM settings (silent step)...
[3/4] Creating new CFE...
4092+0 records in
4092+0 records out
4092 bytes (4.1 kB) copied, 0.0269361 s, 152 kB/s
[4/4] Checking differences between NVRAM from old and new CFE's
4c4
< bl_version=1.0.1.2
---
> bl_version=1.0.1.3
19a20
> odmpid=ASUS
If you see only two differences: one is for 'bl_version' and second is a new 'odmpid=ASUS' variable then all step are done! New CFE image 'cfe.new' is prepared for flash.

Last edited:
I havent tried to flash the new.cfe yet, just going through the steps. I havent even copied the new.cfe to the router ( I assume I can do that the same way I got the original with winscp?)
When i enter the "mtd-write - i cfe.new - d pmon" command i get
joe@joe-MT3707:~$ mtd-write - i cfe.new - d pmon
mtd-write: command not found

I am sure I am driving you guys crazy but I love this kind of stuff.

mtd-write only exists on the router. It's a tool for writing to the flash memory. That's the actual dangerous bit of the whole operation.

Thanks Merlin, so go to Tools--> run cmd?
do I enter that in the line and hit refresh?

I havent tried to flash the new.cfe yet, just going through the steps. I havent even copied the new.cfe to the router ( I assume I can do that the same way I got the original with winscp?)
When i enter the "mtd-write - i cfe.new - d pmon" command i get
joe@joe-MT3707:~$ mtd-write - i cfe.new - d pmon
mtd-write: command not found

I'm not sure if you're actually typing it as above, but the options above are not correct, they should be like "-i" not "- i", but that may be spelling correction going on?

I'm not sure if you're actually typing it as above, but the options above are not correct, they should be like "-i" not "- i", but that may be spelling correction going on?

DO NOT USE TOOLS>CMD
DO NOT USE IT !
:eek:

You will get no feedback just use a proper telnet tool or something like PUTTY.
But not tools>cmd, flashing your CFE is dangerous if you do not have experience i bricked a couple before i actually learned

EDIT*

mtd-write -i cfe.new -d pmon

This command should work but remember its your own responsibility

I just copied and pasted from the OP.

3. Flashing new CFE.
Place cfe.new back to router and run:

$ mtd-write - i cfe.new - d pmon

That all.

I haven't flahsed anything. I am still waiting to see if it's ok that my new.cfe size of 133.4kb is ok since the original poster sad it "must" be 132kb

Also i got the original cfe off of the router by using winscp, can I use winscp to copy the new one to the same place the original came from?
Then how do I run the mtd-write - i cfe.new - d pmon command?

Dont worry, if I brick it I"ll go get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!