What's new

Changing ISP provider

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I'm thinking of changing ISP and the one I am looking at isn't PPPoe like my current ISP.
MY question is should I just resett the values needed for PPPoe on my routers and do a soft reboot or should I do a full reboot?

I'm thinking of changing ISP and the one I am looking at isn't PPPoe like my current ISP.
If it's not PPPoE what is it instead? Typically you would just change the WAN Type in the routers settings, apply the change and that's it. If you say who the ISP is there may be some people here that have personal experience with them.

Going from TPG to Optus
If it's not PPPoE what is it instead? Typically you would just change the WAN Type in the routers settings, apply the change and that's it. If you say who the ISP is there may be some people here that have personal experience with them.
Hi Colin, when I swapped the other way around I had to change the select ISP profile to manual set the VID to 2 and the PRIO to 0 then select PPPoE under Wan connection type on my RT AC 88 U
So I am wondering should I just change everything back to the way it was or should I reboot to factory settings?
PS. MY current ISP provider is TPG and I would be swapping back to Optus

Going from TPG to Optus

Hi Colin, when I swapped the other way around I had to change the select ISP profile to manual set the VID to 2 and the PRIO to 0 then select PPPoE under Wan connection type on my RT AC 88 U
So I am wondering should I just change everything back to the way it was or should I reboot to factory settings?
PS

Going from TPG to Optus

PS. MY current ISP provider is TPG and I would be swapping back to Optus
Just set your WAN connection type to “automatic IP”, then press “apply” at the bottom of the page should do it.

I had to do the same with my RT AC 68 U running express VPN firmware before I could access the internet

I am considering a switch in my internet service provider due to dissatisfaction with the current one. As a working professional, I require fast and reliable internet for my tasks. Additionally, I have specific budget constraints for my connection. I would appreciate a list of reputable ISPs offering affordable plans without disruptions.

Welcome to the forums @Mikeli01.

You have to state your budget constraints.

You have to state your locality.

You have to define what is fast.

This is an international forum. Your questions, as presented, have no good answer.

Welcome to the forums @Mikeli01.

You have to state your budget constraints.

You have to state your locality.

You have to define what is fast.

This is an international forum. Your questions, as presented, have no good answer.
To answer your query, I am living in Sydney at the moment and regarding my budget constraints, I am willing to spend $100 on the internet connection. With the term “fast”, I refer to the internet speed which is required as per my work requirements and would prefer minimum 50 Mbps.

So, you won't tell us your current ISP then?

A search for ISP providers in your city will bring up the options you have.

A further search will give you (some) details of each of those.

At that point, you may have enough information to decide on your own.

Or, you can share what your research has unearthed and ask opinions about a few of them then.

My gut feeling tells me that if you've waited two weeks for an answer, and none has been provided, I don't think your specific question can be answered here.

Here are some considerations for an ISP.

What kind of connection do they offer? Is there an ONT with FTTH? Fibre at all? Cable? DSL? Dial-up modem? Satellite?

Do they offer symmetrical speeds (Up/Down)? An ISP with 1000 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up is abysmal, for example. And yes, that is offered as a 'premium service' in some areas (even with Fibre available from a competitor at a lower price).

Do they ship you the equipment and expect you to install it?

Do they allow you to use your own router (mandatory, IMO)?

Do they offer free cancellation if you're not happy (within a limited time frame)?

Satellite is the last option. Weather-based performance. High latency. Variable latency. Unless they can park a Satellite right above your residence, don't even consider them if you have any other options.

Dial-up won't offer the speeds you're looking for. (Don't know if that equipment is even available anymore).

DSL can be satisfactory. But you may need to bond two or more lines to get the speeds you're looking for.

Cable is the most variable of the options past Satellite. Requires a modem. Capacity is shared with your neighbors. Low upload speeds don't match the okay download speeds possible. Avoid if you can.

Fibre terminated to an ONT (with an Ethernet connection of 1GbE or better; 2.5GbE or above) is symmetrical (same speeds up/down), not shared, has the lowest latency, and while it can be cheaper (depending on your location), is worth spending a few more dollars a year for. Don't forget to call them every six months and ask for a discount/match current rates.

I hope this helps, good luck.

MY question is should I just resett the values needed for PPPoe on my routers and do a soft reboot or should I do a full reboot?

Having been there - yes, clear out everything and start over...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!