What's new

Charter and IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

greggy101

Regular Contributor
Has anyone here been successful in configuring RT-AC66U for IPv6 with Charter?
If so, please share your settings,
Thanks!

When I apply i get the error
" 2607:f428:1::5353:1 is not a valid IP address"

Not to derail the thread (I have Charter and am IPV6 curious . . is that like bi-curious? :D)

. . but what is the motivation for going IPV6 on a home network? I read that Charter page. It says they are going to make it "seamless" for users. I assume that means that, one day, I'll just up and get an IPv6 IP address at the WAN level.

Will my router not be able to deal with that? I don't need IPv6 in the home--the principal benefit (as I understand it) is more addresses available as the world is running out of IPv4 addresses. But beyond that?

No way you're going to "run out" of addresses in your house, right?

So--what's the motivation?

Not to derail the thread (I have Charter and am IPV6 curious . . is that like bi-curious? :D)

. . but what is the motivation for going IPV6 on a home network? I read that Charter page. It says they are going to make it "seamless" for users. I assume that means that, one day, I'll just up and get an IPv6 IP address at the WAN level.

Will my router not be able to deal with that? I don't need IPv6 in the home--the principal benefit (as I understand it) is more addresses available as the world is running out of IPv4 addresses. But beyond that?

No way you're going to "run out" of addresses in your house, right?

So--what's the motivation?

I'm not fully up to speed on IPv6 (i.e. I'm not really bi-curious ;) ) but I believe one big benefit for the home user is that NAT won't be required. Every home device could have its own unique IPv6 WAN address without having to map to a single WAN address. Eliminating NAT from routers will simplify things and free up router resources.

I'm not fully up to speed on IPv6 (i.e. I'm not really bi-curious ;) ) but I believe one big benefit for the home user is that NAT won't be required. Every home device could have its own unique IPv6 WAN address without having to map to a single WAN address. Eliminating NAT from routers will simplify things and free up router resources.

There's also the simple fact that we're very low on public IPv4 addresses on the internet, which includes the IPv4 address assigned to your home by your ISP. When we actually run out of assignable IPv4 addresses, in order to keep using them ISP's would have to use methods that will increase the overhead on the internet and decrease the speed that you'll see.

Switching to IPv6 for public IP addresses relieves this problem, there's enough addresses for a long time with the extra bits in the IPv6 addresses. Yes, NAT won't be necessary for home addresses, but then without NAT, we'll have to think differently about home network security, since the actual home hardware will have IPv6 addresses that are directly accessible on the internet.

Yes, NAT won't be necessary for home addresses, but then without NAT, we'll have to think differently about home network security, since the actual home hardware will have IPv6 addresses that are directly accessible on the internet.

I've been thinking about this - will it be that routers will have to have more powerful firewalls or consumers will have to get dedicated hardware firewalls? Or will routers be reduced to mere gateways, with firewalls intended for the entire home network largely useless and security depending solely on each device?

Don't mean to hijack the thread though.

I've been thinking about this - will it be that routers will have to have more powerful firewalls or consumers will have to get dedicated hardware firewalls? Or will routers be reduced to mere gateways, with firewalls intended for the entire home network largely useless and security depending solely on each device?

Don't mean to hijack the thread though.

Current IPv6 support in home firewalls/routers is very incomplete, almost an afterthought intended just to put an "IPv6 compatible" logo on the box. Eventually, they should have real firewalling features implemented since NAT will no longer handle that part of the security. Until then, most home routers leave you on your own.