What's new

Choice routeur gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nonotiva

New Around Here
hello,

i would like to buy a router for gaming and for stable vpn speed

what do you think of the RT-AC86U or RT-AC3200?

do you have any other ideas
thank you

what do you think of the RT-AC86U or RT-AC3200?

RT-AC86U - 2017 model, perhaps the most unreliable Asus router with hardware and software issues history
RT-AC3200 - 2014 model, End-of-Life - no firmware support

Look at RT-AX86S or RT-AX86U depending on your budget. Both good price/performance and much newer models.

GT-AC2900 is the "gaming" version of RT-AC86U with some RGB and ROG specific firmware features. Both routers though won't get the new 388 code firmware and stay on 386. That means few more security updates at best. I know they are both cheap, but cheap for a reason. If you want a router with longer support - you have to get an AX version. The closest AX router to RT-AC86U is RT-AX86S. It comes on sale from time to time.

Keep in mind "gaming" router is all about marketing. Any high specs modern router is good for gaming.

RT-AC86U - 2017 model, perhaps the most unreliable Asus router with hardware and software issues history
RT-AC3200 - 2014 model, End-of-Life - no firmware support

Look at RT-AX86S or RT-AX86U depending on your budget. Both good price/performance and much newer models.

GT-AC2900 (AC86U rebrand/upgrade) is far from unreliable, at least subjectively using one for the past 2.5 years.. Even gamed on it before wiring my house. 40+ clients and zero issues.

I'm not saying you don't or haven't had issues, but theres obvious bias here.

Maybe the Chinese AC86Us (Pre 2020) were just poorly manufactured? (Post 2020 is Vietnamese made for US market)

The GT-AC2900 is/was Taiwanese made with a special black PCB. Better QC? Software has also been fine... Any issue I had with the router was pretty much self inflicted from messing with bonding and DFS.

@Nonotiva
I would recommend the GT-AC2900 @ $90-110 USD regardless of updates. You'd be pressed to find better value on the current market (if you live in the US).

Anything higher and you're better off just spending extra for the AX86S @ $170-180 USD on sale. (AX86U @ $220 USD)

Price is relevant..

Last edited by a moderator: