What's new

Best ASUS router for gaming and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Twohothardware

Occasional Visitor
I'm having issues with my ISP provided router and looking to purchase a new ASUS one to replace it. My ISP connection is 400Mbps and will be using it with NordVPN. A few models I was looking at were the RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro and the GT-AX6000. What's the best ASUS model right now to keep getting the latest Merlin updates and which would have the CPU to get the best speeds over a VPN?

All three on your list have the same CPU and VPN capabilities. You can get about 200-250Mbps on OpenVPN. Can't get full 400Mbs ISP speed.

Asuswrt-Merlin - only if you plan to stay on 3.0.0.4 (Asuswrt 4.0) firmware base and you are not interested in 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) Pro features.

More information here:

Last edited:
All three on your list have the same CPU and VPN capabilities. You can get about 200-250Mbps on OpenVPN. Can't get full 400Mbs ISP speed.

Asuswrt-Merlin - only if you plan to stay on 3.0.0.4 (Asuswrt 4.0) firmware base and you are not interested in 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) Pro features.

More information here:

I'm definitely interested in 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) Pro. What is the best ASUS router right now for that upgrade?

will be using it with NordVPN

About public VPNs - discussed many times here on SNB Forums. You'll be paying for a false sense of security and privacy.

I'm definitely interested in 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) Pro

RT-AX88U Pro is the only model with three 3.0.0.6 firmware releases already. GT-AX6000 has one, RT-AX86U Pro has none.

There are a few BE-class routers available, but you perhaps have nothing Wi-Fi 7 yet. You perhaps don't want to be used as beta tester either.

There is no futureproofing with consumer All-In-One routers. Get what you need today and don't overpay for features you may never need or use.

AX1100 pro works well for me , over 1 year with no problems CPU is never taxed all 4 cores run at about 1 or 2% most of the time running about 30 devices 6 laptops 2 desktops several tablets , 6 or 7 cameras and 3 tv's and cell phones about 4 depending on who is in or out . Don't think there is a best , just whatever works for you .
And I run Merlin on all my routers

Don't buy a router on 'specs'. You'll likely be disappointed in the long run.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the router to buy today. Best bang for the buck purchase (particularly on sale). Period.

GT-AX11000 Pro model also has the same CPU as the ones above.

In your specific case @jerry6 stock Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin - currently 3.0.0.4 firmware only.

Your GT-AX11000 will never get 3.0.0.6 firmware and your GT-AX11000 Pro doesn't have 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware yet.

All three on your list have the same CPU and VPN capabilities. You can get about 200-250Mbps on OpenVPN. Can't get full 400Mbs ISP speed.[/URL]

I was just doing some searching here on the forum and apparently I can get up to 500Mbps using Wireguard which is now supported in the ASUS firmware.

GT-AX11000 Pro model also has the same CPU as the ones above.

In your specific case @jerry6 stock Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin - currently 3.0.0.4 firmware only.

Your GT-AX11000 will never get 3.0.0.6 firmware and your GT-AX11000 Pro doesn't have 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware yet.
don't have GT AX1100 , have the AXE1100 and AX1100 PRO . all I know is they work well get well over 400Mbps on my AX clients . Good enough for my needs

NordVPN uses proprietary NordLynx protocol based on WireGuard. It's not compatible with the router's client.

More here:
I've read there is a way to get the Wireguard details from NordVPN through Linux and set it up but looks like a process. I reached out to NordVPN support and they say they their developers are working on providing manual connection methods but don't have an ETA.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!