What's new

Advice on new router choice to replace Asus set up...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom Brough

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone, sorry for another post asking for advice on which router to buy, I've read lots of things but in reality it's all a bit beyond my knowledge level..

Current set up is Asus Aimesh, GT-AX11000 as router and 2 XT8 as nodes.

Looking to replace it and was going to get 2 Synology RT6600AX to mesh together but the wife is moaning about the spider aerial thing again, the GT is currently in a cupboard as it's too brash to be on display, great for signal I'm sure, but the Synology is a little more discrete by the looks of it, she thinks maybe a Google wifi pro 3 pack because they are small and neat.

To be honest I'm not sure about the WiFi 6 over WiFi 6E thing? My synology Nas is wired, ps5 is wired, Google TV dongle is wireless but I don't even think it's WiFi 6 let alone 6e... all the family phones are 6E but front what I've heard 6E range is poor anyway and do we need more than say 300mbs on a phone anyway?

Hello everyone, sorry for another post asking for advice on which router to buy, I've read lots of things but in reality it's all a bit beyond my knowledge level..

Current set up is Asus Aimesh, GT-AX11000 as router and 2 XT8 as nodes.

Looking to replace it and was going to get 2 Synology RT6600AX to mesh together but the wife is moaning about the spider aerial thing again, the GT is currently in a cupboard as it's too brash to be on display, great for signal I'm sure, but the Synology is a little more discrete by the looks of it, she thinks maybe a Google wifi pro 3 pack because they are small and neat.

To be honest I'm not sure about the WiFi 6 over WiFi 6E thing? My synology Nas is wired, ps5 is wired, Google TV dongle is wireless but I don't even think it's WiFi 6 let alone 6e... all the family phones are 6E but front what I've heard 6E range is poor anyway and do we need more than say 300mbs on a phone anyway?
What would you do? Stick with Asus set up, go Synology or Google wifi pro? Being in the UK we can only get Virgin 1Gb/100mb connection anyway and it's unlikely to change in the next 5 years at least...

Google is the worst option if you value your privacy. Synology is rated very stable, but not the most performant, by many here.

Asus is what I would be sticking with (with as many identical, current, models as your setup needs).

Pretty doesn't buy you hardware worth owning in (almost) all cases (unless 'pretty' is all the criteria you demand). Buy the hardware needed (or set up the hardware you have properly (i.e. not in a cupboard) and employ them as designed for maximum bang for the buck.

To make them 'pretty', consider a rice paper poster/painting to conceal but not obstruct any device you need to make less obvious in your home (or silk plants, fake 'wall', etc.).

I'm not bothered by pretty, it's the other half moaning the GT is big and ugly, to the point it's been shoved into a cupboard lol

I'm not fussed about Google privacy either, I don't do anything online I need to hide, phones track us every thought we have anyway, I'm sure now I've typed Google wifi and Synology I'll be bombarded with adverts on every site I visit.. I would have expected synology stuff to perform well, I have a couple of there products are all seem decent and stable.

@Tom Brough

Get a wired router and actual APs since you have cabling already in place.

6ghz with 6e is the only difference and distance is a factor but the speed is the same as 5ghz due to the channel width maxing at 160mhz. Though 160mhz can hit 1.7gbps with the right adapters in the clients. Phones typically max at 80mhz though. 80mhz though isn't a slouch but not full potential for speed.

I don't have any ethernet cables for the APs, Aimesh is via wireless backhaul currently..
Rented house, even decorating is a lengthy process to get accepted let alone running cables about the place lol

Tell them it will increase the rent being wired and that should suffice for getting it wired. APs can do wireless backhaul as well if you choose to do it that way and sacrifice some speed.
I wish they would allow it... I used to have a RPi4 running openwrt as the router and wireless APs lol.

I wish they would allow it
Must be a commercial development vs private owner.

Anyway... The typical AP will be better than most all in one boxes like the hideous Asus devices. Small 7x7in white sleek box that can sit on a shelf for under $150.

Put that PI to use and put pihole on it to kill the ads and telemetry.