What's new

Cisco WAP 571 Oddness.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

Im in the UK and i am currently running two wap571's all fed at the moment via a ER12

We have Sky TV, and on my iphone8 i use the Sky Go app which allows me to see a tv guide and also what recordings i have to watch.

Over the last couple of days, i have had the problem where the TV guide and the recordings are extremely slow to load.

My investigations eventually led me to think it may be the 571 AP's, as in other location i have an Engenius AP and the guide etc loads instantly - go back onto the 571's and it all slows down again.

I am also running a 2.4 & 5 wireless network with different SSID and it is still slow.

I have the latest FW on the AP's and i even dropped back to the last but it is still the same.

Phone is on the lteast iOS and all other wifi devices appear to be perfectly ok.

Any help on where else to look would be appreciated.

I assume you have the UK versions and have tried a reboot. Sounds like you need to work with Cisco. You can open a case with Cisco or post on their small business forum.

Yes, i've done everything like reboot and even swapped FW images.

I don't think i can open a case with Cisco now as they will be out of warranty?

Out of warranty no problem just post on Cisco's small business forum under routers. I will keep an eye out for the solution.

I run both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz under 1 SSID. Why did you decide to split them? But I do not run band steering.

PS
Sorry I have not had my coffee. Post under wireless not routers. I had routers on the brain.

Last edited:
Thanks, just posted there.

The only thing i haven't tried is a reset back to factory settings, but i just can't see why this would make a difference as i haven't touched anything in a long time.

I have just come back in from joining the EnGenius AP to try it again for my own sanity, and it does indeed, work perfectly ok on that one!

Have you always run the ER12 router with the WAP571 APs?

I see your post. My guess is you are going to need to narrow down more on what the problem is. Cisco is not going to have your TV guide to test with.

Or the easy solution is buy the EnGenius APs and not solve the problem. I have to say the WAP571 are older models now and the WAP581 is the newer model.

Last edited:
No, i was running a Mikrotik for a few months, but swapped the ER back in just after the new year.

It has all been running fine and so i just don't understand why it has all of a sudden decided to cause problems.

Just wondering if it could be a 'bonjour' issue on the AP?

bonjour needs to be on for Apple. Is this happening on both 2.4 and 5 GHz? And of course the question is "What changed recently".

Routers should not make a difference as long as they do there part. Anything extra on the router is a waste.

Last edited:
Well without looking i'm guessing bonjour is on as it is working, albeit VERY slowly!

Nothing at all has changed recently, apart from I put the Mikrotik back and got that running and it was behaving exactly the same, so put the ER back and hence my suspicions of the 571's.

It does also happen on both 2.4 & 5 networks.

Actually i lied.....

Because i have shrunk my wired connections, I plugged them all into the ER to do away with a switch so i could try putting the switch back and putting everything back in as before.

If that sorts it out, i guess it must be a routing issue with the ER?

Not sure really as the Engenius AP is also plugged into a port on the ER and powered by poe from a small switch nearby.

I guess you have your wireless set to N only on the wireless? I don't remember what the exact setting is on the WAP571. I had a WAP371 which was close in the old days.

Not sure really as the Engenius AP is also plugged into a port on the ER and powered by poe from a small switch nearby.

Be careful when you plug into 2 ports as you can create a loop which will slow down the network. Maybe best to run the wireless from just the POE switch.

The loop kind of depends on Spanning tree on all devices and how they are setup. Do you have a root device selected for Spanning tree?

Ah ok, but these are dumb switches though?

No, no spanning tree.

The ER is providing dhcp to all devices.

The only poe switch that is now left in the system is the external one that is powering the Engenius AP and a reolink poe security cam.

I have just put the other dumb switch back and still the same.

Internet into ER and one port feeding the switch.

As i said, everything else is working perfectly!

Sorry don't follow what you mean?

Main switch is Lynksys Lgs116P which then feeds the other switch for the camera & engenius.

I even tried feeding the small switch from the ER direct but still the same

I am just saying do not use multiple ports on a dumb switch by 1 device. And don't go over 3 deep when connecting switches.

And just so you know the port on the 3 deep switch can be slower. All the members on the 3 deep switch compete for the 1 upload link which happens all the way up.

Ok. the idea was to actually do away with the main dumb switch as i have shrunk the wired network, which then allowed me to plug in everything left into the ER direct, one of which feeding the external poe switch.

But, having put it all back to how it was hasn't made any difference.

weird.

I need to modify what I said in that if you use a port in a dumb switch by a device and the device has 2 ports don't plug the other port into any other switch after you use a dumb port.

Ok that was what it sort of changed to, but even in that existing config was working ok (and that was with a dumb switch plugged into the main dumb switch)

ER was just feeding two separate dumb switches and devices where plugged into those.

I removed one switch and then plugged everything into the ER, which was a load of wired devices, and one dumb switch that fed the Engenius AP and camera.

Well, as a slight update and to add to the weirdness.

I plugged everything back into the ER, but then my wife went in and switched the box on to watch TV and it now works perfectly, and loads instantly every time.

When she has finished i will put the box back into standby and see if it happens again.

My head hurts!

o_O