What's new

Cloudflare inadyn stopped working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Laxarus

Regular Contributor
Hello guys,
RT-AC5300 merlin 384.19

I have been using inadyn for some time now. without a problem however today I noticed an inadyn issue in the logs. I have been trying a number of things to fix this but got no results. I know that there is a newer merlin firmware but currently it is not possible for me to update it (after a month maybe?).

Is there anyway for me to patch this up to get it working? Any suggestion is welcome.

Code:
Feb 10 19:45:35 start_ddns: update CUSTOM , wan_unit 0
Feb 10 19:45:35 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: **.***.***.**)
Feb 10 19:45:35 inadyn[27594]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 10 19:45:35 inadyn[27594]: Guessing DDNS plugin 'default@cloudflare.com' from 'cloudflare.com'
Feb 10 19:45:35 inadyn[27594]: Resolving hostname ***.***.***=> IP# 192.168.1.1
Feb 10 19:45:35 inadyn[27594]: Checking for IP# change, connecting to checkip.dyndns.com([131.186.161.70]:80)
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: Current IP# **.***.***.** at default@cloudflare.com
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: Update forced for alias ***.***.***, new IP# **.***.***.**
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: Id query, connecting to api.cloudflare.com([2606:4700:300a::6813:c01d]:443)
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: Failed connecting to that server: Network is unreachable
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: Id query, reconnecting to api.cloudflare.com([104.19.192.29]:443)
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: Id query, initiating HTTPS ...
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: SSL connection using ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: SSL server cert subject: /C=US/ST=CA/L=San Francisco/O=Cloudflare, Inc./CN=api.cloudflare.com
Feb 10 19:45:36 inadyn[27594]: SSL server cert issuer: /C=US/O=Cloudflare, Inc./CN=Cloudflare Inc ECC CA-3
Feb 10 19:45:37 inadyn[27594]: Failed to parse JSON.
Feb 10 19:45:37 inadyn[27594]: Zone '***.**' not found.

I know that there is an indayn update in the new 386.2 alpha. I don't think you can update this in the firmware you're running without compiling it with the new inadyn version 2.8.1. You would have to upgrade to the latest alpha release to see if it fixes your issue.
Asuswrt-Merlin 386/NG Changelog
===============================

386.2 (xx-xxx-2021)
- UPDATED: inadyn to 2.8.1.

Updating mw firmware is definitely in my to do list but it is going to take a bit of time due to some other problems in my home setup. I wonder is there any other temporary fix. If not, I will just disable ddns until then. I noticed that due to inadyn constantly failing, the overall stability of the unit is compromised.
What I noticed so far,
- High CPU and memory usage after some time.
- Inability to access GUI
- Responsiveness

Having the same issue as well, hopefully the new alpha/beta with the updated indayn resolves the issue

How do you update you cloudflare domains ip? I'm using dnsomatic but I'd really wanted to use a direct solution

Yeah, but specifically with cloudflare... I was never capable dealing with the api and it never worked with me
First, you need to have a domain managed by cloudflare.
Then you have to create an API key from your cloudflare domain page.
Inadyn documentation covers what to do exactly

When my wan up changes, does inadyn auto detects that change?
Or what's the frequency for it to run?
I set it at 8pm. It's now 9pm and looking for the logs, it didn't run again.

Those are my only two configured files. I don't see a cron job. Are they ok? Or did I miss something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-211451577 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-211451577 (1).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_20210211-211425346.png
    Screenshot_20210211-211425346.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 150
When my wan up changes, does inadyn auto detects that change?
Or what's the frequency for it to run?
I set it at 8pm. It's now 9pm and looking for the logs, it didn't run again.

Those are my only two configured files. I don't see a cron job. Are they ok? Or did I miss something?
Because, it doesn't need to run. It runs with ddns-start script. This means that as soon as your router establishes an internet connection, it runs. You don't need to set up any time or frequency. For your WAN ip to change, your internet connection needs to go down momentarily. So, when your router reconnects, inadyn runs.

Because, it doesn't need to run. It runs with ddns-start script. This means that as soon as your router establishes an internet connection, it runs. You don't need to set up any time or frequency. For your WAN ip to change, your internet connection needs to go down momentarily. So, when your router reconnects, inadyn runs.
Thanks for your explanation :) perfectly clear!

Is it possible to update an AAAA record using this?

Also... If I set on webui to get internal Ip, does it get internally? Because I'm seeing yahoo queries each time inadyn runs. So I assume it is getting the ip externally.

Is it possible to update an AAAA record using this?

Also... If I set on webui to get internal Ip, does it get internally? Because I'm seeing yahoo queries each time inadyn runs. So I assume it is getting the ip externally.
I am not exactly sure. If you can make sense of it, you can take a look at the file.

I'm afraid I don't understand the In-a-dyn configuration for Cloudflare:

Code:
provider cloudflare.com {
    username = zone.name
    password = api_token_important_read_comment
    hostname = hostname.zone.name
    ttl = 1 # optional, value of 1 is 'automatic'.
    proxied = false # optional.
}

Suppose my domain name is "domain.net". What should I use for "username" and "hostname" in the configuration file?

Unfortunately not, because they use the same cryptic terms (that I don't understand) as the configuration I quoted:
  • zone.name
  • hostname.zone.name
It's not clear to me what those should be.
I don’t use any of this myself, but if your domain (zone) is domain.net, then the username would be domain.net. The name you want to update within domain.net (e.g. myrouter.domain.net) would be your hostname.

How did you end up choosing Cloudflare if it didn’t make sense to you?

How did you end up choosing Cloudflare if it didn’t make sense to you?
My domains are registered by a registrar that does not offer an API, so I decided to use the free Cloudflare plan nameservers for my domains to:
  • automatically update router.domain.net
  • automatically create and renew Let's Encrypt certificates for router.domain.net (and a few more subdomains)
Not knowing how to do it yet is hopefully not a problem, because learning about this was a secondary reason to chose this setup.

I'm afraid I don't understand the In-a-dyn configuration for Cloudflare:

Code:
provider cloudflare.com {
    username = zone.name
    password = api_token_important_read_comment
    hostname = hostname.zone.name
    ttl = 1 # optional, value of 1 is 'automatic'.
    proxied = false # optional.
}

Suppose my domain name is "domain.net". What should I use for "username" and "hostname" in the configuration file?
I use the router's inadyn to dnsomatic (in the WebUI) and then dnsomatic pushes to cloudflare. No fiddling required :)