What's new

Compile GPL source RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KevTech

Very Senior Member
First I want to know if you make from src-rt or src-rt-6.x

Readme in the GPL says src-rt but merlin site says src-rt-6.x

Tried compiling from src-rt-6.x but get this error.
*** No rule to make target `/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/../src/wps/common/shared/tutrace.c', needed by `obj/wps/common/shared/tutrace.o'. Stop.

I can not find this file in the GPL and in merlins sources I found tutrace.c but it was in the src-rt-6.x.4708/wps/common/shared folder.

Is it ok to take files from src-rt-6.x.4708 to use in src-rt/wps?

I copied the needed files to wps/common/shared but then it wants other files that are also no where to be found except in the src-rt-6.x.4708 folder.

You need to compile from src-rt-6.x. The RT-N66U was migrated to SDK6 about two years ago, it's possible that Asus never updated their README to reflect this.

Asus frequently forget some files in their GPL releases (or sometime put extra files which should not be there, and which breaks building from sources - this is probably what is happening to you at the moment).

I don't recommend reusing files from the 4708 directory, as these are for a newer SDK, and will probably be different. I recommend you either check older GPL releases to see if they include any missing files, or grab them from my Github repository (SDK-related files such as those for WPS are unchanged in my code).

I was able to almost get firmware compiled (ran for almost 20 minutes) but then hit this snag.

minidlna
make[4]: Entering directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src/router/minidlna'
Linking minidlna
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/sqlite/.libs/libsqlite3.so: warning: the use of LEGACY `utimes' is discouraged, use `utime'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_lookup'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_obsolete'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_experimental'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_unknown'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_compat_fixup'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_compat_lookup'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_text'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_url'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [minidlna] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src/router/minidlna'
make[3]: *** [minidlna] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src/router'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x'
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x'
make: *** [rt-n66u] Error 2

This is caused by a missing dependency on your build environment. I can't remember which tho, I only vaguely remember some people having this particular problem two years ago.

Think I solved all the issues.

Will post about them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Firmware compiled and tested.

Asus readme for build environment is incomplete as not all packages needed are listed in the readme.

Was also missing a few files so I retrieved them from merlin git as the ones I found in an old GPL (SDK5) would not work.

What I want to do now is learn how to add or remove web pages from the GUI.

I ran menuconfig but did not see any www options in there.

For example, I would like to put back in the performance tuning page that Asus took out so I can see the radio temps.

I know it is Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp but what page/css/etc is it called from.

If I just know how to do one I will know how to do others as I used to build web sites but been a long time.

Check out 'release/src/router/www/state.js'
Do a search for 'tablink' and start reading:)

I was able to almost get firmware compiled (ran for almost 20 minutes) but then hit this snag.

minidlna
make[4]: Entering directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src/router/minidlna'
Linking minidlna
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/sqlite/.libs/libsqlite3.so: warning: the use of LEGACY `utimes' is discouraged, use `utime'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_lookup'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_obsolete'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_experimental'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_unknown'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_compat_fixup'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_compat_lookup'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_text'
/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x/router/libid3tag/.libs/libid3tag.so: undefined reference to `id3_frametype_url'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [minidlna] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src/router/minidlna'
make[3]: *** [minidlna] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src/router'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x'
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x'
make: *** [rt-n66u] Error 2

Hi, I got the same issue, could you give me some suggestion?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!