What's new

Computer on LAN bypassing DNSFilter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doczenith1

Very Senior Member
My work issued computer is bypassing DNSFilter when connected to my router (no vpn enabled on the work computer). When I check IPleak.net it reports the same OpenDNS servers as when I have DNSFilter disabled. I have set the following settings:

DNSFilter
Enable DNS-based Filtering: On
Global Filter Mode: Router
Custom (user-defined) DNS 1: All three blank
Client List: No data in table.

On the WAN page
Connect to DNS Server automatically: No (servers set to Cloudflare)

I suspect it has something to do with these values from the ipconfig output on the work computer:
Primary DNS Suffix: home.myfirm.com
DNS Suffix Search List: home.myfirm.com
DNS Servers: 127.0.0.1

I don't necessarily need to circumvent the DNS settings on my work computer but am curious if I have configured DNSFilter properly and also just curious on the mechanics of how they are bypassing DNSFilter assuming I've configured it properly.

I’m interested. How could I do this?
It's no different from a DNS server running on the router, or on a Raspberry Pi for example (although you tend to have to pay for Windows software). But in the OP's case it might not necessarily be a stand-alone application, it might be one component of a security suite.