What's new

confused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kingcrimson

New Around Here
Ok ive got a problem I hope you can help, ive been using, fixing, building computers for myself and my friends for years. Ive the hardware and software and OS’s down both, linux and windows. But I just never took the time to get that aha moment with networking. I would just set it to auto config get the drivers and hope for the best. Yesterday I got to studying the services in winxp AGAIN and I pretty much know what all of the services are. This lead me to DNS and DHCP and MAC address and the like so I decided to hit ipconfig /all and figure out exactly what each one is. It took me about a day but I got it. Now what ive gone and done is set up a static IP. So I set my IP to the appropriate numbers , I shut off DHCP, I put in my subnet and default gateway as they were before the static IP was created from ipconfig /all and I first used my isp’s DNS addy. When I restarted I was able to get on google right away much to my suprise it being my first time at this stuff. Then after a few minutes (about 15)it died on me. So I went into the setups again and set it to use netbios over tcp/ip. I also set it to use google’s DNS just for the hell of it and I set it to append these DNS suffix and put google.ca in the box. I also set it to register this connection addy in DNS and use this DNS suffix in registration I rebooted and exactly the same thing happened. On for awhile then off, so I tried to repair the connection and it went through everything but stopped at registering with DNS. It couldn’t resolve DNS. So I remembered that the DNS addy for my isp was different in ipconfig than it was when I looked it up online. So I tried the one I got online and the same thing happened. My modem stays on and in connection status it says connected but itll just blink out then come back and ill be kicked off the internet. I also noticed that if I disable and re-anable the connection it’ll come back on perfect but start blinking out after about 10 min. I remembered the other day that I set my DNS cache to 0 maxcachenegitives and 1 for maxcache so I put it back to 86,400 default and 0 negitive. I also noticed the connection would go down after about 2000 packets received. I rebooted with no changes, it did exactly the same thing. So I set google as my primary DNS moved it to the top set it all up the way I needed I put google.ca for register connection addy and use this suffix in DNS. I rebooted with the same results on for 10 min blinking out and on. So finally I went in and re-enabled the DHCP and set it to use netbios from the DNS server. I also disabled my virtual machines connection and flushdns in cmd and I still get exactly the same thing ! Other stuff, I have lmhosts enabled there is no WINS addy, the subnet mask and gateway are same as before when I had dynamic IP im using auto metric (whatever that is) DNS suffix search list is google. Hey one thing is that in ipconfig /all it says DHCP is off when the service is clearly on in services ? I restared service to no effect. Im on XP sp2 - intel card – Motorola surfboard – no router – NOD32 virus scanning,(if that matters ) – ive also shut off a lot of services recently that have to do with remote desktop and LAN, like telephony and secondary login and lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, browser, crypto, rasman, routing and remote access. I think I left the necessary ones on tho. Thats all the pertinent info. What am I doing wrong ? if it was screwed up then why do I get on at all ? but im on and off on and off. Another thing is that it starts blinking after 2000 packets received it goes off and packets stop, comes on and a few get in. I don’t get it. Help!

Jeez, man, ever heard of paragraph breaks?

What OS are you using and did you set a static IP outside your router's DHCP server range.

btw DCOM, DNS client, DCHP client, RPC, Telephony, netbios, are all on. net login wont start dependencies are disabled.

"I can't get this config to work."
"I know, I'll start mucking around with services!"
Now you have two problems.

It's generally a good idea to understand what something does before you start changing values. System Restore is the fastest way to undo your "tweaks." For Internet connectivity, the only things you need to configure to migrate from a dynamic to static IP are IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS servers. If you are unsure what to use, try using the values provided by your DHCP lease. Once you've verified that everything works, then modify the static IP settings to suit your purposes.

thx guys

thx guys but i think i was mistaken here Im now getting on with no problems the only thing i changed was i turned on telephony and switched netbios to enable over tcp/ip and when i repair the connection everything goes according to plan. i think i may have fixed it awhile ago and thought the blinking on the network connection icon was me being disconnected from the internet when it was actually blinking on packets sent and packets recieved. sorry about that and sorry about the paragraph thing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!