What's new

Connecting a 10Gbe NAS and 1Gbe ethernet to laptop simultanously

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bwriter

New Around Here
I recently picked up a Synology DS1621+ and with a 10Gbe card in the device along with a Thunderbolt to 10GBe adapter at my laptop, I've been REALLY impressed by the speeds. Things seem to work fine when the laptop is on wifi and the NAS is directly connected to the laptop, but once I put the laptop on ethernet things get a little wonky (for example, I can no longer connect to the NAS from the Finder sidebar and have to use the Connect To Server option in the menubar. Also the file transfer speed on the NAS dropped by half the following day and went back to expected speeds once I removed the ethernet internet connection from the laptop). So there's something about having the mac connected to both internet via 1gb ethernet and directly to a NAS via 10Gbe thunderbolt adapter.

I'm no networking expert, so I'm hoping someone here can provide some guidance. What’s the best way to connect my Mac to my NAS over 10GBe and still have it accessible to the rest of the house? Seems like it makes the most sense to pop a 10Gbe switch between the wall and my Mac + NAS in the office? Although I’d love to place the NAS elsewhere in the house if possible. If there's any small and cheap 10gbe copper switches I'm open to suggestions as well. Thanks!

He's what my network looks like:
network_diagram.jpeg

Why isn't the NAS connected to the internet? Then you would only need one connection (the 10GbE one).

If it is connected to the internet too, that is why you're having issues; you're creating a loop that an option called Spanning Tree Protocol should prevent.

What router do you have? What firmware is running on it? Are the switches 'dumb' or 'smart'?

I did have the NAS connected to the internet over 1Gbe but I was looking to get 10Gbe speeds, so my only option with the hardware I have was to connect it directly to the laptop over thunderbolt. It is not connected to the internet for the time being, but that's the goal. I may just do direct connected for the initial huge backup and then plop it back on the internet/network at 1Gbe for incremental backups, but I'd love a 10Gbe connection to edit video directly off of it.

Router is an Asus AC68W running Merlin. Wifi AP/router is an Asus AC86U running Merlin. Switches are dumb/unmanaged.

Look at QNAP, they just released a router with 10GbE Ports. :)

What are you backing up from? Connect the NAS to the router and then connect the laptop to the NAS via the 10GbE connection. Disable Wi-Fi on the laptop when you do that. It should have both internet and a fast connection to your network storage then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!