What's new

Connection of ISP router to Asus RT-AC86U (AC2900)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks to all
RT-AC86U up and running with Merlin and with Nord VPN and I am getting download speed of 130Mbps to the desktop and about 65Mbps to the IPTV boxes so mission accomplished.
Tomorrow I want to try and set up AiMesh between the two routers. Presumably Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default) on the new AC86 and just AiMesh node on the old AC66U?
Have appreciated all of the help. Hope tomorrow finalizes it all.

My install notes can probably answer the basic AiMesh setup questions.

Your AiMesh 86U Merlin router is already setup. Assuming the 66U supports AiMesh, put stock firmware on it, reset it, and add it as an AiMesh node from within the router webUI. Done... you do not configure an AiMesh remote node.

OE

I would suggest following @OzarkEdge's excellent AiMesh install notes, but instead, flash the same version of RMerlin firmware on your RT-AC66U_B1. :)

I would suggest following @OzarkEdge's excellent AiMesh install notes, but instead, flash the same version of RMerlin firmware on your RT-AC66U_B1. :)

Last I read, the author suggested stock firmware was sufficient on remote nodes... and that it would simplify upgrades, yes?

OE

@OzarkEdge stock firmware may be sufficient, but the upgrade process is the same (with either stock or RMerlin firmware) in my experience. :)

Hello all
Thank you. I updated the firmware on the AC86 (Asuswrt-merlin 384.15) updated the AC66U with the same firmware and set it in AiMesh node and added it on the AC86. All up and running.
Again many thanks.

Being new to the forum and not being too technical I wanted to set the AC86U with AiDisk so that I could access data from a USB drive (64Gb) when I am away - whenever that may be as, being 82, the authorities want me at home for weeks !!
I am getting a message that says "currently running a private WAN IP address" and "multiple NAT environment" such that I don't seem able to access the USB dive with my ftp://xxxxxxx.asuscomm.com.

Is this the correct forum to pursue this? (I was told off the first time I posted for being in the wrong forum) or could we continue from here?
Thanks again

Last edited:
You still can connect to your network, but you will have to make proper port forwards for the services you need on your modemrouter (from ISP).
Or if possible you could change its config to modem-only bridge mode and let Asus-router do routing, DHCP and IP-connection to ISP.
As you use Merlin firmware you should better post in his subfolder: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

You still can connect to your network, but you will have to make proper port forwards for the services you need on your modemrouter (from ISP).
Or if possible you could change its config to modem-only bridge mode and let Asus-router do routing, DHCP and IP-connection to ISP.
As you use Merlin firmware you should better post in his subfolder: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/
Thanks Grisu
If I have to ask further I will post as you advise.
Just one question here though. If the ISP router allows me to change to bridge mode the Asus router would connect to the ISP but will the VPN I have on the Asus hide the IP on my desktop / IPTV boxes?

VPN will work like now, only one hop less and Asus router will get public IP on WAN side instead of private IP from modemrouter.

My install notes can probably answer the basic AiMesh setup questions.

Your AiMesh 86U Merlin router is already setup. Assuming the 66U supports AiMesh, put stock firmware on it, reset it, and add it as an AiMesh node from within the router webUI. Done... you do not configure an AiMesh remote node.

OE

Why do you recommend him putting default stock firmware on the 66u instead of keeping merlin on it and just resetting it, then adding it as a node?

What are the benefits of stock in this situation?

Might be newer with recent security fixes (btw less important).
He dont need to update them manually, with stock on child-nodes it can be done with one click.
And there is almost no advantage to use Merlin on Aimesh child-nodes.

Why do you recommend him putting default stock firmware on the 66u instead of keeping merlin on it and just resetting it, then adding it as a node?

What are the benefits of stock in this situation?

What Grisu said. Also, the AiMesh code is not open to Merlin, so as I see it, an AiMesh node is not using Merlin code so no point in installing Asuswrt-Merlin just to run the Asus AiMesh code in it... just delays getting Asus updates.

I don't think the OP said he already had Merlin on his old 66U... you are assuming that, yes?

OE

What Grisu said. Also, the AiMesh code is not open to Merlin, so as I see it, an AiMesh node is not using Merlin code so no point in installing Asuswrt-Merlin just to run the Asus AiMesh code in it... just delays getting Asus updates.

I don't think the OP said he already had Merlin on his old 66U... you are assuming that, yes?

OE

Yeah he is using Merlin on his 66u which is why I was asking you the reasoning behind your recommendation:

"I would appreciate further advice please. The new router has Asuswrt firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32799 while my exisiting AC66U has asuswrt-merlin 384.13. Is the merlin better and is that firmware OK for the AC86U."

However, I do now understand why you recommended default if you believed him to be using wrt already.

Yeah he is using Merlin on his 66u which is why I was asking you the reasoning behind your recommendation:

"I would appreciate further advice please. The new router has Asuswrt firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32799 while my exisiting AC66U has asuswrt-merlin 384.13. Is the merlin better and is that firmware OK for the AC86U."

However, I do now understand why you recommended default if you believed him to be using wrt already.

Fair enough. To be clear, I explicitly mentioned stock firmware on the node. Why stock on node? See previous posts... it's simpler.

To be clear, Asuswrt-Merlin on router; Asuswrt (stock) on nodes. Or suit yourself.

OE

Last edited:
Fair enough. To be clear, I explicitly mentioned stock firmware on the node. Why stock on node? See previous posts... it's simpler.

To be clear, Asuswrt-Merlin on router; Asuswrt (stock) on nodes. Or suit yourself.

OE
O yeah, makes complete sense.

I'd read thread from start so was just confused why you were recommending that considering i knew it was on merlin.

It all makes sense now.

@OzarkEdge: he got an 66U_B1 (see previous postings)
@cplay: please write correct model name or at least short 66U_B1, as there is a big difference RT-AC66U vs. RT-AC66U_B1 which is mostly same as RT-AC68U and so supported by Merlin.

And you should use similar dated versions of stock and Merlin (384.13 is old).

@OzarkEdge: he got an 66U_B1 (see previous postings)
@cplay: please write correct model name or at least short 66U_B1, as there is a big difference RT-AC66U vs. RT-AC66U_B1 which is mostly same as RT-AC68U and so supported by Merlin.

The abbreviation was so OE could note what router i was referencing, although you are correct, there is a big difference in hardware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online