What's new

Create aiMesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is this one I'm buying.

Will this work with aimesh?

Attachments

• IMG-20200309-WA0007_1.jpg
    IMG-20200309-WA0007_1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 109
Is it illegal?? According to which law/s??

The firmware contains third party licensed components, such as Trend Micro's DPI engine or the Tuxera filesystem drivers. Asus paid for a licence to use them on specific models. Running these on hardware that was not licensed for them is illegal.

I own the device, so as far as I know, from legal perspective, I can do what ever I want with my router. If Asus wants to take me to court and give me a life sentence, ... I welcome it.:)

No, Asus won't take you to court. But Trend Micro, Tuxera, Broadcom and who knows who else MIGHT file a complain to Asus about a breach of contract, who would then be forced to close down the firmware, essentially killing my project along the way.

This isn't just speculation. One of these (which I won't name) DID actually file a complain a few years ago about it. It did get close to forcing Asus to closing down things to a point that would have essentially killed my project.

We got lucky once. Let's not chance it again just because a few persons want to save fifty bucks here and there, at the expense of everyone else. Tim's policy is to forbid any discussion about it on these forums, and I've made my own stance clear about refusing to provide any support whatsoever for this kind of mod - especially in the light that Asus are taking active steps to prevent it. Ask people who saw their router be automatically reverted back to stock firmware following an update due to these protective measures.

The firmware contains third party licensed components, such as Trend Micro's DPI engine or the Tuxera filesystem drivers. Asus paid for a licence to use them on specific models. Running these on hardware that was not licensed for them is illegal.

No, Asus won't take you to court. But Trend Micro, Tuxera, Broadcom and who knows who else MIGHT file a complain to Asus about a breach of contract, who would then be forced to close down the firmware, essentially killing my project along the way.

This isn't just speculation. One of these (which I won't name) DID actually file a complain a few years ago about it. It did get close to forcing Asus to closing down things to a point that would have essentially killed my project.

We got lucky once. Let's not chance it again just because a few persons want to save fifty bucks here and there, at the expense of everyone else. Tim's policy is to forbid any discussion about it on these forums, and I've made my own stance clear about refusing to provide any support whatsoever for this kind of mod - especially in the light that Asus are taking active steps to prevent it. Ask people who saw their router be automatically reverted back to stock firmware following an update due to these protective measures.
Fully agree with you...
Nothing more to say

I have no intentions discussing details how I did it, even though a guide is posted here on the forums. Or was posted? I would have to search for it to see if it’s still here.
I also didn’t ask for help how to convert it and your post made that clear.

If it’s illegal, then your sticky post needs to have more detailed info, in detail, with a lot more details of legal matter....in detail, including laws and case laws.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/
I own the router and what I do with it is my business. If TrendMicro wants to sue me, I welcome it.

If I didn’t say anything in the first place, no one would the wiser. If you are afraid that much, I can edit my post or have admins edit my post.

Or how about: Hey KGB, can you please edit your post, because of X, Y and Z?? I would happily do it!!

Last edited:
Nice catch before I buy ! Thanks - how can I see if it is a B1 version? Or how can ask the seller to see?

If it and the seller do not say B1, then assume it is not B1. The B1 build is a more current build with better hardware.

Generally speaking... AiMesh support extended down to the RT-AC68U. Then the RT-AC66U B1 build came out with AiMesh support... it is similar to the 68U and runs 68U firmware... it's not the old 66U. Don't quote me on the details, but that's the jest of it.

Another good choice would be a second 86U to match what you have.

OE

Last edited:
If it and the seller do not say B1, then assume it is not B1. The B1 build is a more current build with better hardware.

Generally speaking... AiMesh support extended down to the RT-AC68U. Then the RT-AC66U B1 build came out with AiMesh support... it is similar to the 68U and runs 68U firmware... it's not the old 66U. Don't quote me on the details, but that's the jest of it.

Another good choice would be a second 86U to match what you have.

OE
I'm trying to create the cheapest aimesh system possible, as the place I need to expand the signal doesn't have to have full speeds and so.
So, buy a second 86U will be much expensive in this case. But yeah, I agree that it would be much better because (apart from that annoying freeze problem on reboot), the 86U is a fantastic router.

And yes I can confirm it's not the B1, so I'm not going with the purchase...

I'm trying to create the cheapest aimesh system possible, as the place I need to expand the signal doesn't have to have full speeds and so.
So, buy a second 86U will be much expensive in this case. But yeah, I agree that it would be much better because (apart from that annoying freeze problem on reboot), the 86U is a fantastic router.

And yes I can confirm it's not the B1, so I'm not going with the purchase...

The 66U B1 is your economy AiMesh node.

OE

@KGB7 I have no problem with anyone discussing anything about converted TM routers except details about the conversion, which your posts have not done.

We don't have to justify any decisions we make about allowed content, as per our Terms Of Use.

Than why was my post deleted? There was good and helpful info imho. If there was an issue with some info in my post, than edit it or ask me to edit before it was approved.

Just talk to me in PM/DM if you need to. But im trying to help posters with their issues.

@KGB7, you may be free to do what you like in your country, but you still have to respect the laws this forum/website and RMerlin himself chooses to follow and respect. Illegal is illegal here.

@KGB7, you may be free to do what you like in your country, but you still have to respect the laws this forum/website and RMerlin himself chooses to follow and respect. Illegal is illegal here.

Have you been to the Peoples Republic of Maryland? :D

OE

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/
I own the router and what I do with it is my business. If TrendMicro wants to sue me, I welcome it.

Well the TM router is specific to whatever was in agreement with T-Mobile at the time the device was drafted, Though you may not be getting free tmobile service by converting to Asuswrt "RTAC-68U" conditions, you are riding on the benefits of the terms Trend Micro has in place with Asuswrt for their stock only firmware's that does not extend to the T-Mobile cell spot router branches. This is like saying "because you own a cable box, you are entitled to free internet protection." I know this is a very liberal application, but just because you own a T-Mobile cell spot router with asus name on the outside of the box doesn't mean that it is entitled to run firmware with Trend Micro who did not agree to be put on T-Mobile Modem/router. This is just a case and point which extends to any other features that are contracted to only be used in RT-AC68U.

Than why was my post deleted? There was good and helpful info imho. If there was an issue with some info in my post, than edit it or ask me to edit before it was approved.

Just talk to me in PM/DM if you need to. But im trying to help posters with their issues.

It was probably deleted by me and not by Tim. Been doing too much moderating on the forums lately, so at times I may have a shorter patience than usual. Sometimes I just warn people, sometimes I delete the posts. I'm the one who has to deal with these people who "forget" to mention that their router went through a conversion process when they come to me complaining that their networkmap shows an empty client list, or that their AiMesh doesn't want to connect.

In short, please stop advising people to buy this model and to convert them. The sticky posts are easy enough to see IMHO.