What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.11SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hopefully if there is code support and Voxel has access, it maybe possible. It all depends on that. ;)

I feared this but hoped to get an answer from voxel since he has more insights on why the RBR needs to do so and if it's maybe possible to teach the RBR to only use one this - technically I don't see a reason for the current behavior.
Similar answer, not everything is open in GPL sources from NG.

Voxel.

This work (custom firmware) is not router hacking stuff.

Didn't mean to misrepresent what you're doing! When I said "router hacking" I was more referring to the blog post I linked to that describes the project was hoping to accomplish, where a root exploit is used to extract certificates from the AT&T router so as to repurpose them with wpa_supplicant. And I didn't mean to use "hacking" with any negative or nefarious connotation!

Yes and wpa_supplicant is in enclosed part...

Just to make sure I understand correctly - you're saying that based on what's been released via open source, there's something that was kept closed-source that prevents it from being possible to compile a compatible wpa_supplicant which could be installed through Entware? That's unfortunate, but I guess not surprising. Thanks again for the info and for all your hard work on this project!

Just to make sure I understand correctly - you're saying that based on what's been released via open source, there's something that was kept closed-source that prevents it from being possible to compile a compatible wpa_supplicant which could be installed through Entware?

Sorry, misunderstanding from my side. There is wpa_supplicant in Orbi firmware and there are no source codes for it in Orbi stock GPL (released by NG/DNI).

Sources of Entware version of course are available. Entware is Open Source project.

https://github.com/Entware/Entware/tree/master/package/network/services/hostapd/src/wpa_supplicant

Voxel.

Sorry, misunderstanding from my side. There is wpa_supplicant in Orbi firmware and there are no source codes for it in Orbi stock GPL (released by NG/DNI).

Sources of Entware version of course are available. Entware is Open Source project.

https://github.com/Entware/Entware/tree/master/package/network/services/hostapd/src/wpa_supplicant

Voxel.

Ah, great! Do you have any guidance or tips you may be able to provide on compiling Entware packages for the correct architecture for the Orbi RBR50? I'm going to try to dive into this tonight.

Last edited:
Ah, great! Do you have any guidance or tips you may be able to provide on compiling Entware packages for the correct architecture for the Orbi RBR50? I'm going to try to dive into this tonight.
Well, try to do that.

Tips:

Guidance: https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki/Compile-packages-from-sources

My latest Entware sources with all my fixes: not a big secret, OK I've put it to

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/entware-voxel-backup-2020-01.tar.gz

"as-is"

NOTE:

1. You should remove the symlink in my archive "dl": it refers to my downloads directory with source archives. Just remove this dl and make the directory "dl" instead of symlink.

2. Reading Entware Guidance: you should start from the p.

Pick up one of supported platform

(all the rest above is already performed by me and is in this archive, plus my fixes).

3. My architecture config name stored in configs directory is cortex-a15-3x.config

4. You need Linux PC to do all this and ... time. I use Debian 10 (Buster) x64. Plus you need to install some additional packages. Well. Just google e.g. how to compile Merlin Asuswrt on Debian - same packages should be installed except Broadcom compiler. Maybe more...

5. Your just created "dl" directory will be filled by needed source archives (they are downloaded automatically during this procedure).

Compilation of whole Entware using 4 threads (as far as I remember): about 4-5 hours...

Good luck,

Voxel.

Compilation of whole Entware using 4 threads (as far as I remember): about 4-5 hours...

Wow! I'll have to come up with plans for while I wait, hah. Thanks so much for sharing your fixes and config! This sounds really promising! I had taken a look at the Entware github before, but I was struggling trying to wrap my head around what architecture config I would need to use. Since you've figured that out, hopefully the rest will work out without too many roadblocks. I really, really appreciate it!

I was struggling trying to wrap my head around what architecture config
"cortex-a15-3x" - it is just my version. It is not maintained/released by Entware team but me. Most optimal compiler options for such CPU as Krait (IPQ806x), Cortex-A15 (R8900/R900) and Cortex-A7 (RBK50).

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/entware.html

or

http://cortex-a15.zyxmon.org/binaries/cortex-a15-3x/

P.S. FYI: If you need just one package,it is not necessary to compile all packages. Selective.

Voxel.

@Voxel
i tried to separate my SSIDs via:

Code:
nvram set wla_ssid="NAME OF YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
nvram set allow_diff_ssid=1
nvram commit

when i reboot my router, the settings are erased. does this method still work? if not, is it still possible to separate SSIDs?

thanks

I'm going to ask an admittedly stupid question. I have the RBR/S 50 setup. Like a fool, I purchased via a sale from my ISP, Verizon. I didnt realize they loaded custom firmware. Of course they won't patch it. I have managed to get the firmware on the RBR replaced with current Netgear firmware. However, the RBS is rejecting it as invalid. I've enabled telnet and trolled through the file system looking for any obvious file that is blocking the firmware update and I can find nothing. I know I'm hijacking the thread and I'll happily post elsewhere if that is appropriate but does your firmware bypass the Verizon check? Do you know of a way to bypass or remove that check? Apologies in advance for the protocol break with the post.

This should work in my latest build too.

Voxel.

i think the issue might be that i literally turned my RBR/RBS off and then on, rather than initiating a reboot command through telnet?

i'll try when i get home

thanks

I am trying to setup WG client on my RBR50 and newest Voxel FW, but unfortunately Voxels instructions are not very noob or non-linux users friendly.
Is there anyone kind enough to get me through the process step by step?
I would kindly ask for all needed terminal commands for identifying newly attached usb drive, mounting it, formatting it and creating needed folders and wireguard.conf inside of it.
For all your kind help I do thank you in advance.

Also. Is it possible to separate all 3 bands (SSIDs) or at least 2 bands on Voxels`s FW?

I have tried
Code:
config set wla_ssid="NAME YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
config commit
but it will be back to original only 1 SSID after reboot.

Code:
nvram commit
Also doesnt help (back to original after reboot).

Also. Is it possible to separate all 3 bands (SSIDs) or at least 2 bands on Voxels`s FW?

I have tried
Code:
config set wla_ssid="NAME YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
config commit
but it will be back to original only 1 SSID after reboot.

Code:
nvram commit
Also doesnt help (back to original after reboot).

(a) To set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi RBR and RBS:

• From telnet/ssh console run

Code:
nvram set wla_ssid="NAME OF YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
nvram set allow_diff_ssid=1
nvram commit

• Reboot your RBR and RBS
• Set “allow_diff_ssid” in nvram to “0” to disable separate SSIDs.

I found you have to do it to both RBR and RBS, didnt work on the RBS otherwise.
Theres also a bit about not being recommended to do so, but its pretty much rubbish, I had done it on stock since day 1 until literally a few weeks ago when the update forced me to either downgrade or move to 3rd party firmware, suffice it to say, all the issues I had when they WHERE NOT separated, where resolved after separating them.

thanks voxel,
I have to ask if there is anything that can be done to prevent DOS attacks? I am currently troubled by this!
I have captured many DOS attack logs.
They even maked the orbi(RBR50) been carshed when I was using the official firmware.
WechatIMG115.png

Contact your ISP and have them change your WAN IP address on the WAN side/ISP Modem. use whois look up sites to see where these IP addresses are coming from.

could anything be done to be able to use the backhaul radio as a regular access point? I don't need mesh and only have an rbr got it refurbished for a deal The backhaul radio seems like the better radio. The whole limited channels thing is a pain too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!