What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.33SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.1.34SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am glad to hear that stock fw works for you.

Funny, my RBK50 doesn't experience this. Using v16 stock FW:

\

Apparently NETGEAR is pushing out 2.5.2.4. Not available for download via any link yet. The common thread appears to be that folks that were on 2.5.1.32 seemed to get it. FYI

This appears to being pushed to folks that were updated to 2.5.1.32 that got pulled, presumably to fix the inetd high utilization issue.

We got somewhat of a patch for that with Voxel V9.2.5.1.34 which uses the inetd from a prior version of the firmware.

Funny, my RBK50 doesn't experience this. Using v16 stock FW:

\

My iOS devices and specifically iphone disconnects sometimes from Orbi and reconnects. Any one notices this?

Also, is it a good idea to enable 20/40Mhz? doesnt it pull down the network to lower speeds?

is using channel 1 and 36 any better than using 6 and 48 respectively? Am I wrong to think higher number channels give faster and wider coverage?

Yes, you are incorrect. Every channel has the same bandwidth, with the possible exception of 48. I have read (somewhere) that setting Orbi to 36 means "only 36", whereas 48 means "all channels from 36 through 48", which makes an 80MHz bandwidth. Here is a picture of the 5G frequency band that I found in a discussion of the "backhaul" WiFi channel.

1597259028301.png

Does anyone have the stock firmware for 2.5.1.32 that they could share?

You don't want to load .32. It had the inetd issue which would eat up resources and slow the router down. That is why they pulled it from download servers. If you want that level of firmware, use the latest Voxel in the download link. It has that level with a working inetd file.

I understand the issue it had but at the moment it is the only firmware that fixed my rebooting issue. Not even the voxel custom firmware is fixing it

I understand the issue it had but at the moment it is the only firmware that fixed my rebooting issue. Not even the voxel custom firmware is fixing it

Try this one:

There is not a thread specifically on it. It is .32 with the inetd from a prior firmware. See if it works for you.

I'd suggest flashing stock, factory resetting, keeping all of the defaults, don't enable parental control, disney circle, netgear armor, etc. Keep all defaults. Then flash the Voxel linked above.

The firmware auto updated and that firmware isn't available anywhere anymore

The Voxel I linked above is based on .32, the variance being inetd. If that doesn't resolve your issue than .32 probably won't either I suspect.

Follow the steps I outlined above (flash stock .16, factory reset, leave defaults, don't enable any services) and then flash the linked Voxel and keep defaults for a day to verify the issue is resolved before you modify things.

Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-v-9-2-5-1-18sf-hw-v-9-2-5-1-18-1sf-hw.64414/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-19sf-hw.64782/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.33SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.19SF-HW):

1. Integration of changes from the stock v. 2.5.1.32.
2. dropbear package is upgraded 2020.79->2020.80.
3. wireguard package is upgraded 1.0.20200601->1.0.20200623.
4. curl package is upgraded 7.70.0->7.71.1.
5. stubby package is upgraded 0.2.6->0.3.0.
6. yaml package (used in stubby) is upgraded 0.2.4->0.2.5.
7. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.8->1.9.12.
8. elfutils package is upgraded 0.161->0.179.
9. libjson-c package is upgraded 0.13.1->0.14 (including fix of CVE-2020-12762).
10. etherwake 1.09 package is added.

[Edited]

Version 9.2.5.1.34SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.33SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: GCC is upgraded 9.3.0->10.2.0.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.14.3->1.14.6.
3. inetd daemon binary: downgrade to version from the stock 2.5.1.16.
4. libjson-c 0.12.1 package: fix of CVE-2020-12762.
5. wireguard package is upgraded 1.0.20200623->1.0.20200712.
6. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.6d->1.3.6e.
7. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.7->3.8.1.
8. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.12->1.9.13.
9. sysstat package is upgraded 12.2.1-12.2.2.
10. bridge-utils package is upgraded 1.6->1.7.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.
Hello Voxel,

Is there a chance you can make firmware image for Orbi Pro devices ? I have Orbi Pro router and satellite and could test image on them, I am sure many would appreciate

Kind regards,
Evgeny

Should I factory reset satellites as well?

If it were me and seeing the issues you were, I would do this (full steps in order)

1) Flash stock firmware (.16) to each individual satellite.

2) Flash stock firmware (.16) to the router.

3) Unplug the satellites and router from power once firmware flash is fully complete.

4) Factory reset the router (leave satellites unplugged) using a paperclip as described here:

5) Set up the router using default settings (can use prior SSID/PW for ease with client devices of course). Keep parental controls, disney circle, netgear armor all disabled.

6) Once that is up and going and everything is stable, factory reset the satellites 1 at a time using the paperclip method above and adding it to Orbi using web admin dashboard before moving to the next satellite.

7) Test over a few days. If you still have issues using .16 stock, flash the latest Voxel I linked above.

If you are still seeing issues you either have a conflicting device in your environment (sonos, ip device like cameras or lights, etc) any other devices plugged locally into LAN port of router or satellite causing issue, bad cabling between internet modem and router, bad power adapter for router or satellite, or just failing hardware in general.

I can't say for sure why .32 was the most stable for you. Given the very short time it was out before the pushed the update, perhaps you just hadn't seen the issue occur yet but it was still happening, dunno.. but if .32 worked for you then the latest Voxel should as well since they are based on the same code minus inetd.

I have not.

Unchecking the check box next to 20/40Mhz sets 40Mhz only. It only sets the connection rate to a slower rate between the RBR/RBS to the connected wifi device only.

Channels 1, 6 or 11 are recommended for any primary use by users. You can use any other 5Ghz channels as you wish however be sure that any nieghboring wifi signals are not using them.

My iOS devices and specifically iphone disconnects sometimes from Orbi and reconnects. Any one notices this?

Also, is it a good idea to enable 20/40Mhz? doesnt it pull down the network to lower speeds?

is using channel 1 and 36 any better than using 6 and 48 respectively? Am I wrong to think higher number channels give faster and wider coverage?

That seems to be a pattern for where the image files are hosted in their network for auto distribution, great find.I notice that .16, for example, is in a similar location:

I wonder if there is a manifest file (XML, etc) that is staged somewhere where the various options are available or if that happens via a server side request?

That seems to be a pattern for where the image files are hosted in their network for auto distribution, great find.I notice that .16, for example, is in a similar location:

I wonder if there is a manifest file (XML, etc) that is staged somewhere where the various options are available or if that happens via a server side request?

I wish I could take credit for the links. I actually found them somewhere else (Reddit, Netgear, ... ?). I can't remember exactly now.

Well, I pulled 2.5.2.4 off. I was having some online work meetings and it was terrible.

Now, I have had a bunch of changes lately: new internet provider, new modem (changed from DSL to cable).

However, I have had the new ISP for about a month now and I have not experienced this prior.

I was having an issue with .34 where my speeds would drop; however, an Orbi reboot fixed things. I was not noticing an impact necessarily, just speed test downloads would be about 20% of my max (300/30).

Long story short, I am back on .19 now as it was the most stable for me as I try to deduce the villain in my story.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!