What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.15SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-13sf-hw.73152/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-14sf-hw.74000/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.15SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.14SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.6->1.17.
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1k->1.1.1l (fixing CVE-2021-3711, CVE-2021-3712).
Base Scores (SUSE): 9.8 and 5.3.​
3. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.45->2.1.0.
re: what to change in your config​
4. ipset package is upgraded 7.14->7.15.
5. procps-ng package is upgraded 3.3.16->3.3.17.
6. elfutils package is upgraded 0.180->0.182.
7. pcre package is upgraded 8.44->8.45.
8. libpcap package is upgraded 1.10.0->1.10.1.
9. util-linux package is upgraded 2.37.1->2.37.2.
10. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.1->1.13.2.
11. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.46.3->1.46.4.
12. OpenVPN client init script: fix bash style comparison '==' -> '='.
13. Fix ez-ipupdate compilation (synchronize with LBR20).
14. Syncronize dropbear init script with LBR20 (net-wall call).
15. Change 'net-util' to avoid TrendMicro cron update schedule (R8900/R9000 specific).
16. Host tools (e2fsprogs): is upgraded to 1.46.4.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Installed without issue. Fast as always. Thank You for your continued support.

The last release included QCA drivers/firmware from V2.7.3.22 stock. Should we expect to see any additional integration from that GPL release or is it not worth the effort?

Hi @Voxel, I followed your downgrade instructions to flash your FW into RBK50 but the stock 2.7 FW is auto-updating it (for satellites and the router) after the downgrade to 2.5. The solution for me was very simple: Just disconnect the RBK50 router from the internet (from the ISP modem), that way the auto-update won't manage to contact netgear's servers and will keep the downgraded 2.5. I then flashed voxel FW and reconnected the internet.
My suggestion is to put this info in the quickstart guide, because I've seen someone that tried to flash Voxel after the RB50 auto-updated and it obviously soft-bricked the satellites.

Thanks for all of your work on this. I'd like to try downgrading to the previous Voxel version on my router – is there anything special I need to do, or can I just install via the web UI as normal?

context: I've used this firmware for quite some time on my RBK50 which has two RBS40 satellites (that were converted from RBK40). Everything has been working great for months until I upgraded to this new version. Now both of my satellites shows as "Config sync" and no amount of resetting and fiddling has fixed it.

Oddly, even with the Config Sync status wireless clients connected to the satellite and network successfully, so I'm not quite clear on what exactly is happening with the status vs. actual connectivity.

I acquired a pair of RBS40's with two cans of beer and I'm planning to extend the current RBK50 set of 4 at summer cottage with those.

As the environment consist of multiple buildings with some distance in between and rf blocking elements the placement of devices is important for optimal coverage.

There will likely be couple of daisy chained access points. Should I use 50's for those or will it make a difference?

And is my understanding correct that there is no Voxel image for RBS40 but they should function fine as satellites. What fw version should be used with those?

Hi, after upgrading to this version from V9.2.5.2.5SF Circle filtering stopped working. Any ideas how to re-enable this functionality? Seems like a similar report in v. 9.2.5.2.14SF thread was logged but no reply so far.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi @ all!
This is my first time installing Voxel Firmware on RBR50 and RBS50. Everytin worked fine, but at step 3 there should be access to rbr50 with ssh at port22. I am not able to get a connection. Do i have to activate SSH first?
And also in the guide a USB is needed for persistent and entware. But wondering how to plug in a USB Stick?

Thanks for helping me out.

Hi @ all!

Its me again. Just figured out that i got the RBR50v2 which has no USB Port. Stupid me... But now i do have another Problem which i guess its my fault.

I changed the IP of the router to 192.168.1.200 with gateway 192.168.1.1 (router of ISP). IT seems, that the change worked, but i am not able to login to the Dashboar anymore. I have to unplug the internet port of my RBR50 because its causing an issue. i have to plugin in at port 1, so the satelite is working...

how ever i would like to change the RBR50 mode to AP instead of router but i can not get to the login page anymore. I can connect my PC directly to the internet port and ping the Orbi with 192.168.1.200 (when configuring my PC to static IP), but the login page isnt shown.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Hi @ all!

Its me again. Just figured out that i got the RBR50v2 which has no USB Port. Stupid me... But now i do have another Problem which i guess its my fault.

I changed the IP of the router to 192.168.1.200 with gateway 192.168.1.1 (router of ISP). IT seems, that the change worked, but i am not able to login to the Dashboar anymore. I have to unplug the internet port of my RBR50 because its causing an issue. i have to plugin in at port 1, so the satelite is working...

how ever i would like to change the RBR50 mode to AP instead of router but i can not get to the login page anymore. I can connect my PC directly to the internet port and ping the Orbi with 192.168.1.200 (when configuring my PC to static IP), but the login page isnt shown.

Any ideas whats wrong?
by dashboard I assume you mean the orbi admin dashboard?

does http://orbilogin.com work?

No it didn't work. But I got it work again with the 30 30 30 reset method described by Netgear. Upload with tftp wasn't successful but the router has been reset to the default IP and could access the login page again

Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-13sf-hw.73152/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-14sf-hw.74000/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.15SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.14SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.6->1.17.
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1k->1.1.1l (fixing CVE-2021-3711, CVE-2021-3712).
Base Scores (SUSE): 9.8 and 5.3.​
3. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.45->2.1.0.
re: what to change in your config​
4. ipset package is upgraded 7.14->7.15.
5. procps-ng package is upgraded 3.3.16->3.3.17.
6. elfutils package is upgraded 0.180->0.182.
7. pcre package is upgraded 8.44->8.45.
8. libpcap package is upgraded 1.10.0->1.10.1.
9. util-linux package is upgraded 2.37.1->2.37.2.
10. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.1->1.13.2.
11. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.46.3->1.46.4.
12. OpenVPN client init script: fix bash style comparison '==' -> '='.
13. Fix ez-ipupdate compilation (synchronize with LBR20).
14. Syncronize dropbear init script with LBR20 (net-wall call).
15. Change 'net-util' to avoid TrendMicro cron update schedule (R8900/R9000 specific).
16. Host tools (e2fsprogs): is upgraded to 1.46.4.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Great work Voxel! my network has been far more stable and speedy!

I've been trying to enable SNMP for remote bandwidth monitoring, I've dug through the forums but I dont see any kind of how to and unfortunately am not really a power user. Is this something easily achievable?

I've been trying to enable SNMP for remote bandwidth monitoring, I've dug through the forums but I dont see any kind of how to and unfortunately am not really a power user. Is this something easily achievable?
Try to use Entware if your ORBI has USB port.

snmpd5.8-2anetSimple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is a widely used protocol for monitoring the health and welfare of network equipment (eg. routers), compu...

P.S. I did not try to use it, so cannot say is it OK for our needs...

Voxel.

Hi all, new to the Orbi a month or so ago. Was having some issues with a satellite dropping off and oddities like the list of connected devices not showing some stuff that was connected. Decided to try Voxel's FW and it works great - seems to have solved the issue of the satellite disconnecting and the devices list is now accurate!
I do have 1 question though... I use the Orbi in AP mode. On stock FW the access control options were still enabled and I had them turned on (I like to approve each device rather than just rely on people not knowing my password to keep my network private). On Voxel, access control is greyed out. Is there a way to enable it or perhaps an entware package I can use for access control purposes? BTW, I've never used entware before so would be a little blind as to how to use that if it is the way to go but happy to give it a go...
Overall, loving the Voxel experience!

Hi all, new to the Orbi a month or so ago. Was having some issues with a satellite dropping off and oddities like the list of connected devices not showing some stuff that was connected. Decided to try Voxel's FW and it works great - seems to have solved the issue of the satellite disconnecting and the devices list is now accurate!
I do have 1 question though... I use the Orbi in AP mode. On stock FW the access control options were still enabled and I had them turned on (I like to approve each device rather than just rely on people not knowing my password to keep my network private). On Voxel, access control is greyed out. Is there a way to enable it or perhaps an entware package I can use for access control purposes? BTW, I've never used entware before so would be a little blind as to how to use that if it is the way to go but happy to give it a go...
Overall, loving the Voxel experience!
If your Orbi router is in AP mode I'm not sure how you would have the access to enable access control in stock as that is a routing feature. Is it possible that you didn't have it AP mode in stock?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!