What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.5SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.5.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Let us do the following: I'll release the new version tomorrow or after-tomorrow and you will check the speed of your Wi-Fi with this version.

As a rule I am using a bit newer version of my firmware vs released one (my internal testing releases). 2 or even 15Mbps is toooooo slow, no doubts. I've checked the speed by Wi-Fi client right now: 110Mbps by ookla - it is maximum what I can get in the place I am located now. The speed of Wi-Fi client<--->RBS is about 480-520Mbps. So... Tomorrow/after-tomorrow, OK?

Voxel.

Hey Voxel

I just want to thank you for your amazing work with this firmware. I originally posted about the RBK50-V9.2.5.2.5.2SF-HW which I complained that I had slower internet speeds. This is still a bit of an issue as the speed doesn't "spin up" quickly enough and I noticed that you released a new version RBK50-V9.2.5.2.6SF-HW which I'm excited to try out this weekend.

Since I've installed Voxel my Orbi has been SIGNIFICANTLY more stable and many of the areas where I never had coverage I now have coverage.
I have no idea what you've done but Netgear should be paying you to build their firmware and I'll post this on their forums.

Oh and I donated and would encourage everyone to date monthly to Voxel for this great work!

I have a question for others on this forum:

1. What other services did you disable that are part of Netgear and did you notice any improvements? (e.g. Armor, Circle, Readycloud)

2. Anyone have any other guides or website which would help get DNSCrypt and other things like Wireguard setup on Voxel's Firmware? Based on the quickstart it looks like it's pretty bare in terms of getting started

While I don't own an Orbi, in answer to your generic question #1 I offer this thread in which a number of R7800 owners discussed stopping/removing
processes we didn't think needed to be running for our purposes. For the most part the processes were stopped/removed because we didn't like
the idea of our router 'reporting back' to netgear/amazon etc. about our installation and usage -or- processes like printing through the router
were not something we need.

Perhaps there are equivalent processes on the ORBI.

This thread and the one referenced/discussed within it might give you a head start.

While I don't own an Orbi, in answer to your generic question #1 I offer this thread in which a number of R7800 owners discussed stopping/removing
processes we didn't think needed to be running for our purposes. For the most part the processes were stopped/removed because we didn't like
the idea of our router 'reporting back' to netgear/amazon etc. about our installation and usage -or- processes like printing through the router
were not something we need.

Perhaps there are equivalent processes on the ORBI.

This thread and the one referenced/discussed within it might give you a head start.

I appreciate your specific reply to my generic question! Glad to be on this forum!

I have no idea what you've done but Netgear should be paying you to build their firmware and I'll post this on their forums.

Yeah, I also think so :)

P.S.
If seriously I just do not understand Netgear: they silently refuse all my suggestions for cooperation. I bring them profits. If I stop my builds they will lose the money... Out of business sense and common sense. Example of normal cooperation and relationship: ASUS and RMerlin with his versions of firmware for ASUS routers. Netgear should be interested at least in sending me their new hardware to make an order in firmware... What for should I spend my own money and time to bring the profits to Netgear for free?

Voxel.

Not sure if it's only me, but while upgrading from V9.2.5.2.5.2SF-HW -> V9.2.5.2.6SF-HW gave me a warning that the firmware I am uploading is older than the current one.
Please do let me know if this is expected. I never encountered this warning before with Voxel f/w.

Not sure if it's only me, but while upgrading from V9.2.5.2.5.2SF-HW -> V9.2.5.2.6SF-HW gave me a warning that the firmware I am uploading is older than the current one.
Please do let me know if this is expected. I never encountered this warning before with Voxel f/w.

Strange. I did the same upgrade path and did not get that message. Did you get it on each of your devices or just on a specific device?

Strange. I did the same upgrade path and did not get that message. Did you get it on each of your devices or just on a specific device?
I got that on both the satellite as well as the router. Anyway, I proceeded with the update on both and they seem to be working fine.

Last edited:
I got the same thing.

Please ignore this warning. Just trust your eyes: 9.2.5.2.6 > 9.2.5.2.5.*. Obviously. It is stupid comparison algorithm made by NG/DNI with numeration encoded in their pre-build binary. The same warning for R7800. Only R9000/R8900 numeration works as expected.

Voxel.

Please ignore this warning. Just trust your eyes: 9.2.5.2.6 > 9.2.5.2.5.*. Obviously. It is stupid comparison algorithm made by NG/DNI with numeration encoded in their pre-build binary. The same warning for R7800. Only R9000/R8900 numeration works as expected.

Voxel.

Strange, I just tried again. Downgraded to 9.2.5.2.5 and got warning and then updated to 9.2.5.2.6 and did not get warning. I wonder why some get it and some do not. I have a v1 RBR50.

Installed the latest Voxel firmware last night and woke up this morning having lost internet connection. Needed to reboot the RBR50 and it came up fine afterwards. Anyone see drop internet connection while on this version?

Yeah, I also think so :)

P.S.
If seriously I just do not understand Netgear: they silently refuse all my suggestions for cooperation. I bring them profits. If I stop my builds they will lose the money... Out of business sense and common sense. Example of normal cooperation and relationship: ASUS and RMerlin with his versions of firmware for ASUS routers. Netgear should be interested at least in sending me their new hardware to make an order in firmware... What for should I spend my own money and time to bring the profits to Netgear for free?

Voxel.

If I could make a suggestion on this one is to find out who might be the person to speak with at Netgear who would own this decision in the specific product set / region that would be applicable. IF you have a name in mind perhaps we can find his/her email address and then share it on this forum for people to reach out.

I can imagine there are many people here who would gladly email Netgear and ask them to hire you to get more involved with their Firmware

I don’t think @Voxel is looking for a job and once he was part of the machine he wouldn’t have the flexibility. What would make sense is for Netgear to support him as someone who customizes firmware outside of what are their business drivers and also pick up some of the patches for free on the way.

if you know anyone there or would be looking for a specific intro I can try. I live not far from Netgear there must be someone around here that knows people there :)

@Voxel if you have ideas DM me

1) This happened to me as well. 2.7 is a major change to the stock firmware. You need to flash an earlier stock firmware before flashing Voxel from my experience. If Voxel releases a firmware based on 2.7 that will hopefully address this issue.

You need to flash the stock ROM via TFTP. This explains how.

I did the same thing. I was able to get my router back by using TFTP but I'm not able to flash my satellite. My laptop has a fixed IP address, is connected by ethernet directly to the satellite, and I've done both soft and hard resets. All I get is either a blinking or pulsing white light.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

I did the same thing. I was able to get my router back by using TFTP but I'm not able to flash my satellite. My laptop has a fixed IP address, is connected by ethernet directly to the satellite, and I've done both soft and hard resets. All I get is either a blinking or pulsing white light.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

You TFTP the satellite using the same process you do the router.

I've tried to do that using IP addresses '192.168.1.1' & '192.168.1.250' but the connection fails and the addresses don't respond to a ping.

I did a network scan and the only addresses on '192.168.1.*' are my laptop and something at '192.168.1.42'.

'192.168.1.42' is only there when the laptop is connected to the satellite. I can ping it but can't TFTP to it.

I get a pulsing white light but that's it.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!