What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.53SF/1.0.2.53SF-KF [Updated]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's a lot of work for seeing a listing of attached devices.

I reserve IP's, Access Control is ON (although I don't really use it for anything) and QOS is OFF.

Smart Connect is OFF. I wouldn't use it anyway.

Everything seems to work with .50.

.53 with NG's bugs in their close source code problematic. VOXEL as noted before despite his hard work can't touch the closed source stuff. DD-WRT and LEDE are way over the top for my usage.

That's a lot of work for seeing a listing of attached devices.

I reserve IP's, Access Control is ON (although I don't really use it for anything) and QOS is OFF.

Smart Connect is OFF. I wouldn't use it anyway.

Everything seems to work with .50.

.53 with NG's bugs in their close source code problematic. VOXEL as noted before despite his hard work can't touch the closed source stuff. DD-WRT and LEDE are way over the top for my usage.

I agree with you, just stay with Voxel v.1.0.2.50SF
It is the best to do with the R7800.

But as an engineer I could not resist trying to make all working ;)
So I have a working fix for v.1.0.2.53SF that I'm running.:D

Also, I would disable Smart Connect. I've had issues with gaming consoles losing connectivity. Supposedly, Smart Connect should prevent dropped connections in this scenario, but the implementation is probably gimmicky and may not work properly for all devices. Might make more sense if the hardware supported it natively in someway, and the AP had tri-band radios to utilize.

Hello .
I have an issue with transmission.
I am using Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 with Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.2.53SF
I can download torrents with transmision . But when i reboot the router , every torrent is gone , transmission list is empty. And i have to upload every torrent and check local data. The downloaded torrents are in download directory and they are intact .
NETGEAR Downloader is off .

When i am downloading a torrent , i see that transmission is storing some data in
Readme.json
Blocklists
Resume (which contains a file for everydownloaded torrent)
settings.json
torrents (which contains a file for every downloaded torrent)

in 2 directories with the above directory structure
/tmp/transmission-gui/
/hipplay/TMP/transmission-gui/

I had 1 torrent finished , reboot the router and now in transmission , i have no torrents.
I do not have data in the 2 directories
/tmp/transmission-gui/

in resume & torrents

How can i make that the files from
/tmp/transmission-gui/
do not get deleted after a reboot so that my finished torrents stays in transmission and upload?

with
PS
i can see that the process running is

/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/transmission-gui

with
find | grep transmission

i have files in

./etc/init.d/transmission
./etc/rc.d/K20transmission
./etc/rc.d/S99transmission
./etc/transmission
./etc/transmission/README.json
./etc/transmission/settings-template.json
./lib/upgrade/keep.d/transmission-daemon-openssl
./tmp/transmission-gui
./tmp/transmission-gui/settings.json
./tmp/transmission-gui/blocklists
./tmp/transmission-gui/torrents
./tmp/transmission-gui/resume
./tmp/transmission-gui/README.json

Thank You.

P.S. your firmware is the only one who could use 1GB internet connection , copy from USB HDD attached to router in LAN with 1GB and to donwload torrents at good speeds , 10-20 MB/s . Thank you for your work , Voxel

Last edited:
How can i make that the files from
/tmp/transmission-gui/
do not get deleted after a reboot so that my finished torrents stays in transmission and upload?

Logic of transmission init script is:

Code:
. . .
    # If settings.json does not exist in /etc or external disk then generate config
    if [ -e /etc/transmission/settings.json ]; then
        /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /etc/transmission
    elif [ -e /mnt/sda1/transmission/settings.json ]; then
        /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/sda1/transmission
    elif [ -e /mnt/sdb1/transmission/settings.json ]; then
        /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/sdb1/transmission
    elif [ -e /mnt/sdc1/transmission/settings.json ]; then
        /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/sdc1/transmission
    else
        # Generate config file
. . .

So you can have your own settings.json in /transmission directory of external USB disk or in /etc/transmission directory and your setting will be kept after reboot. If no settings.json in these directories, config is generated in /tmp/transmission-gui directory (RAM).

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel , is working now transmision .

With minidlna , each time the router is restarted , the dlna is building his database again. I want scan for media files only when i am adding new files , not everytime is booting.
I copyed minidlna.conf in /etc/ but at reboot is starting with the configuration file from /tmp/etc/minidlna.conf

after boot if i am using
/overlay/hipplay/etc/init.d/S80minidlna restart
mindlna is starting OK with the /etc/mindlna.config
13598 root 2436 S minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf

So my question is who knows what file is starting at boot , the dlna process ?
/usr/sbin/minidlna -f /tmp/etc/minidlna.conf
to i can change it to
/usr/sbin/minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf

Thank you

Thank you Voxel , is working now transmision .
So my question is who knows what file is starting at boot , the dlna process ?
/usr/sbin/minidlna -f /tmp/etc/minidlna.conf
to i can change it to
/usr/sbin/minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf

Thank you
It seems to be started from:
\sbin\cmddlna

To see how the minidlna was started:
cat /proc/`pidof "minidlna"`/cmdline | tr "\\0" " "

Hello, Voxel. Thanks for your dedication in continuously improving R7800 firmware. Does this firmware have NAT loopback issue? It seems like the problem did not exist up until the latest version. I have a Synology NAS which I can access from outside (or using mobile data on my phone) but can't access from home (on WiFi) using the same domain.

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk

Hello, Voxel. Thanks for your dedication in continuously improving R7800 firmware. Does this firmware have NAT loopback issue? It seems like the problem did not exist up until the latest version. I have a Synology NAS which I can access from outside (or using mobile data on my phone) but can't access from home (on WiFi) using the same domain.

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk
It is problematic for me to check now. BTW, latest is 1.0.2.53SF-KF? There should not be difference 53SF vs 53SF-KF for such stuffs.

Could somebody check this? I am far from my R7800 now. I am able to access it only by cable connection (remotely)....

Voxel.

It is problematic for me to check now. BTW, latest is 1.0.2.53SF-KF? There should not be difference 53SF vs 53SF-KF for such stuffs.
Could somebody check this? I am far from my R7800 now. I am able to access it only by cable connection (remotely)....
Voxel.

Running 1.0.2.53SF-KF:
All OK from local LAN and via WiFi on same domain. (Smart Connect enabled)
Tried Synology, Zyxel and Netgear NAS devices. No problem.

Anyone else experiencing a continuous ~50% CPU usage with miniupnpd? Not sure how long it has been going at ~50% utilization, but what I don't understand is I have UPnP disabled...

hFZTnI0.png

Last edited:

Voxel.
Hi Voxel,

It looks like port forwarding via UPnP causes this issue and manual port forwarding from Netgear menu resolved it. Can't tell whether or not this is caused by Netgear's native firmware. Thank you for your prompt attention. I am currently on 1.0.2.53SF, btw.

Anyone else experiencing a continuous ~50% CPU usage with miniupnpd? Not sure how long it has been going at ~50% utilization, but what I don't understand is I have UPnP disabled...

hFZTnI0.png

Yeah, I face the same once. Most probably it is a bug in upnp startup script (cmdupnp). It checks if no hipplay/kwilt is installed and starts miniupnpd even if upnp is disables in GUI... Remedy (temporary until I fix it in the next release) is to stop it manually from from console (telnet/ssh):

Code:
/etc/init.d/upnp stop

Hi Voxel,

It looks like port forwarding via UPnP causes this issue and manual port forwarding from Netgear menu resolved it. Can't tell whether or not this is caused by Netgear's native firmware. Thank you for your prompt attention. I am currently on 1.0.2.53SF, btw.

UPnP from NG is outdated and most probably it is security hole. There was a discussion somewhere in this forum re: UPnP from NG. So better to use port forwarding instead of, right. I usually recommend to disable UPnP in GUI (and now in console :)).

Voxel.

"UPnP from NG is outdated"

I don't understand NG's problem. I can no longer recommend the R7800's now that the Asus 86U price is dropping. I'm not replacing my R7800 but at the same time because of NG's slacking in the last 2 weeks I've advised three of my co-workers to consider the Asus over the NG.

This R7800 while it should be the anchor at this price point in this market it instead seems to be drifting lost at sea.....

Asus has its own bugs which Merlin tries to fix, plus Broadcom is far worse with Open source so no real working WiFi etc on OpenWRT and no Tomato, it seems the RT2600AC is probably the better buy for stock firmware as it uses the same hardware as the R7800 with the additional benefit of OpenWRT if needed.

There's no Tomato for most of these newer routers. Please refer me to Tomato for the R7800 if I am in error. Asus not being as deaf about issues as Netgear doesn't mean Asus is perfect.

All of the third party FW's have a steep learning curve and are no where near the easy transition as they were back in the day of our Linksys WRT54G's.

I'd not buy a NG R7800 today with the 86U's available.

Tomato is only for Broadcom, that too R7000/R8000/AC68U era units, my point with Tomato was that newer Broadcom hardware is very restrictive in regards to third party firmware.

QCA hardware at the moment seems better with working MU and HT160 (which I utilize with my 9260ac to get 800+ Mbps transfers to my NAS on wireless), MU is also becoming more common with newer clients though not a huge deal yet. Best QCA hardware if you want an alternative to the R7800 with good stock UI is the RT2600AC. Apparently the Asus BRT AC828 which also uses the same hardware is buggier than the R7800 unfortunately according to someone who used it.

The AC86U is pretty good especially with VPN, I recommend that one as well but I do mention the caveat that you are stuck with stock/stock based firmware for those who like putting third party roms for certain additional functions.

But yeah I totally agree about the slow reaction to bug fixes on NGs part where I myself have ranted quite often. As for OpenWRT having a steep learning curve it’s all relative/subjective and depends on the additional functionality you want.

Yeah, I face the same once. Most probably it is a bug in upnp startup script (cmdupnp). It checks if no hipplay/kwilt is installed and starts miniupnpd even if upnp is disables in GUI... Remedy (temporary until I fix it in the next release) is to stop it manually from from console (telnet/ssh):
Voxel.
You are right again Voxel.
I added this as last line of "upnp_start()" in cmdupnp:
Code:
[ "$upnp_enable" = "0" ] && killall miniupnpd

Then enable/disable from GUI is working!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!